Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TX: Officer delays family racing to see dying mom 
 Post subject: TX: Officer delays family racing to see dying mom
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Chief: Officer's behavior at hospital 'very embarrassing'

DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer as her life ebbed away. It's a story that has sparked outrage across North Texas and generated interest around the country.

Dallas police Chief David Kunkle faced reporters Thursday afternoon to express his embarrassment over the incident and to publicly apologize to the family. He said the officer involved failed to use common sense.

It all started in the early morning hours of March 17. With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward Baylor Regional Medical Center of Plano. But when the Moats arrived at emergency room parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell, who reportedly drew his service revolver on the concerned family members.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Tamisha Moats replied.

She and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to her dying mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

"I certainly hope anybody who saw the videotape immediately understood how serious the misconduct is," Chief Kunkle said Thursday afternoon. "I don't know how you train for these circumstances other than to hire people with good common sense and people skills."

In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

"My understanding is that Officer Powell — even after he saw the videotape — believed he had not acted inappropriately," Chief Kunkle said, a view that was underscored by Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who reviewed the tape with Officer Powell on Wednesday.

"His belief was simply that he was doing his job," Chief Simpson said. "It did concern me that it just seemed that the compassion was not there."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

"The essence of being a police officer is common sense and discretion," Chief Kunkle added. "I can't imagine a worse circumstance."

WFAA.com has received more than 400 comments about the incident since the story first aired on Channel 8 Wednesday night.

WFAA.com staff editors Marjorie Owens and Walt Zwirko contributed to this report.

E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Video link

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

How do they handle "did the driver have insurance" questions when it is a redlight camera rather than a beat cop that spots a red runner? Seems like the kind of thing that could be handled by writting down the plate number and sending the ticket in the mail. As much as I hate that this is only a story because the victim was a "special person" . .. I gotta say . .. . that is like the polar opposite of community policing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's just policy to ask about insurance whenever someone is stopped. There was no reason to suspect insurance violations, it just the officer's decision to be anal about something.

They could just as well enforce the bald tire law or check the emissions system or headlight alignment. But insurance is easy, and the motorist has the hassel of finding it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Granted the cop was an ass, but do any of you NOT keep your insurance card in the glovebox?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Granted the cop was an ass, but do any of you NOT keep your insurance card in the glovebox?

I don't. It lives in my wallet.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:56 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:

I don't either. I just take the ticket and mail it in later. We have a number of vehicles and a number of drivers and we get new cards every 6 months.

Sometime I've even found the card, but made the cop do it the long way around. I know it's policy to get an insurance card, but I find cops usually like to watch me fumble around and look while they wave their flashlite around. Instead, I let them fumble with their paperwork. They can waste their time as well as I can, I guess.

My Attitude? Yeah, I gained that by my experiences with traffic cops. It's just the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I hadn't thought of that. . . . I have always been a "wallet insurance card carrier" I know alot of people who keep their insurance cards in their gloveboxes and also allow their glove boxes to be junk accumulators. . . it isn't that the card isn't there (perhaps) but you have to fish through 43 reciepts, 4 windshield fliers, 18 fast food napkins, 14 printouts of dirrections to this and such . . . . to find the darn card all while frantic as you loved one's life is ebbing away. I hadn't thought of cops using that time for a non-invasive search. Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:02 pm 
On time out

Everything said about insurance cards etc is fine. This happened in parking lot of the hospital. People running a red light to enter a hospital is not rare.

Any action the officer took after the first nurse cameout and said please let him go is frankly unforgivable and blatantly abuse of power. Preventing a parent from being at the bedside of his child's passing is beyond the pale of all understanding.

Even after the event had occurred and the situation known the officer felt he had behaved acceptably. That is mind blowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:23 pm 

1911fan wrote:
Any action the officer took after the first nurse cameout and said please let him go is frankly unforgivable and blatantly abuse of power.

What a jerk!

Post subject: Re: TX: Officer delays family racing to see dying mom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Quote:
Chief: Officer's behavior at hospital 'very embarrassing'

"I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

This is the part that really caught my attention. Almost everything else could have been justified by the officer. When he played the "I have the power" card, he lost all credibility. For this reason alone, he should lose his job and PO certification.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Re: TX: Officer delays family racing to see dying mom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
When he played the "I have the power" card, he lost all credibility. For this reason alone, he should lose his job and PO certification.

Loosing his job seems a little much for using his "power" card. Worse things have happened by still employed cops. Maybe he'd like to push paper though. :D

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:46 am 

This is a difficult concept for the young, aggressive officer to grasp, but your "power" is in the ability to pardon. Anyone can persecute; few can pardon. I always felt better cutting someone loose if common sense dictated it was warranted.

LEO's have discretion... some just have not read the memo yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

One of my profs reminded us early how the power structure in law enforcement is inverted.

The patrol officer on the beat has infinitely more discretion in how he does his job than his supervisor....

Our power to pardon is nigh on absolute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

UPDATE:

Quote:
[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflplayer-stopped&prov=ap&type=lgns]Cop who stopped NFL player in hospital lot resigns
[/url]

By JAMIE STENGLE, Associated Press Writer 9 hours, 52 minutes ago

DALLAS (AP)—The police officer who pulled out his gun and threatened an NFL player with jail instead of allowing him inside a hospital where his mother-in-law was dying resigned Wednesday.

Officer Robert Powell had been placed on paid leave pending an investigation of the March 18 incident.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.