Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Junior ROTC practice prompts police raid 
 Post subject: Junior ROTC practice prompts police raid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Junior ROTC practice prompts police raid

PEORIA, Ill., April 10 (UPI) -- Reports of a rifle-toting teen entering a Peoria, Ill., high school led police to swarm the building only to discover student military training taking place.

It turned out Richwoods High School was actually closed for spring break and the student in question was a member of the Junior ROTC practicing marksmanship under the supervision of an instructor, the Peoria Journal-Star reported Friday.

The JROTC members were using air rifles issued by the U.S. Marine Corps and didn't have any ammunition, a district academic officer says.

When a special response team of police stormed the building Thursday, they found the teen and other JROTC members in the school gym, the newspaper said.

Academic officer Mary Davis said JROTC policy requires air rifles to be stored at the high school in a locked area. Apparently the teen seen entering the building was taking her own air rifle from home, Davis told the Journal-Star.

Davis and district spokesman Chris Coplan wouldn't say if the girl would face disciplinary action.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:31 am 
Longtime Regular

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

THAT'S what I think of Illinois.

"Illinois Nazis."

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

The city I was born in. . . . this is why I talk about exile. I can't move back to a state that is that .. . . . unAmerican.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I, too, was born in Illinois. I have not been back since we left in the summer of 1986. My parents moved back during the mid to late '90's and I made them come here for visits. I have not and will not go to my HS reunions. It sucks that Chicago is part of the state. If we could sell it to Wisconsin, the rest of the state would be very conservative.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:32 pm 

I too, was born in Illinois; and received all of my schooling and started my career there. Home to Mother and family. Have a brother who is a command type (admin & TRT, etc.) in Illinois, along with lots of old friends and comrades with the state police and departments in northern Illinois communities. I still attend the Police Memorial services in Illinois each May and I don't even trust HR218 to save me in that state anymore. I don't even carry when hanging with my brother's department (although I have to hope it wouldn't be an issue there). Sad. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm 

It's sounds like a situation that could have easily turned tragic but thankfully nobody was hurt. But <b>setting aside all other issues</b>, what should the PD have done after receiving a report of a teen entering a school with a rifle.?

Back when I was growing up any assumptions would have been benign but there have been too many tragedies over the years for innocent assumptions to rule. I'm glad PD responded as they did, glad it was JROTC and not a nutzo shooter, and glad nobody was hurt.

I am disappointed that it was necessary-- I'd think the school/JROTC would have previously notified PD the time and place of their activity and that if the PD was notified, disappointed that the info didn't get to where it needed to be.

The bright side is the JROTC is still active in that school and, at least so far, conducting business as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:07 pm 

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t101rO7WuAM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t101rO7WuAM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It's sounds like a situation that could have easily turned tragic but thankfully nobody was hurt.
A school that was empty, except for the gym full JROTC kids doing an authorized activity?

The PD doesn't know when spring break is for the local H.S.? Even if an officer completely pulling a Rambo, totally unaware of community events, were to go in and order the kid to put the airgun down at gunpoint. . . . it isn't like the kid would shoulder the air rifle and get shot. This is a JROTC kid, & likely has more discipline and training than a Peoria Cop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:10 pm 

Macx wrote:
A school that was empty, except for the gym full JROTC kids doing an authorized activity? ...

Yeah. And except for the tac team going in on a weapons seen carried into school call. Sometimes simple mistakes go bad quickly- even with "professionals". Like I say, I'm glad nobody got hurt.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
This is a JROTC kid, & likely has more discipline and training than a Peoria Cop.

75% of the population probably has more discipline than any cop. Training? I guess that's a matter of initiative...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.