Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Soldier Beaten, Redeployment Prevented, No Charges Filed 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
A fool may seem wise when he keeps his mouth closed, or he can confirm his foolishness to all around by speaking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:

2. When the baton comes out for the refusal of the hypothetical "shoelace" command, any sane person would defend themselves. 18th century Americans did, when the redcoats treated them in a similar manner.

I'd only advise that track if you have a lot of money to spare and time to heal. You will get clobbered, and you will end up in court...likely facing a lot more than just an annoyance of a misdemeanor.

I'm not saying the LEO actions were right...but I believe that my best track to self-preservation is to not physically resist the officers. That never, EVER ends well.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:48 pm 
Poet Laureate

I'm not suggesting physically defending yourself as a way to not get beaten. I'm saying when the beating begins, would you not do what you can to minimize the damage?

Isn't that what defense is about? One swing out of place and there goes an eyeball... you can't get that back in court. Remember: you've done nothing wrong. Maybe you've commited the "crime" of being black, and asking what crime you've comitted. Just laying there getting beaten under color of law will be the last time you'll ever use that arm effectively, or be able to have children...

I know there is no good answer to this. But the way I'm reading you is:
1. Tie the shoe.
2. Graciously take the beating after tieing the shoe.
3. Get in the traincar after taking your beating and sort it out later in court...

Okay, that last one is extreme, and not germane to this discussion, but I'm just trying to make the point of obeying someone with a badge no matter what. Where is the line? If it's not disobeying unlawful commands, where is it? I can see one choosing to obey an unlawful command, like tieing the shoe, and sorting it out later, but we have a situation here where he was being beaten. I know that reluctant participant is the magic phrase, but sometimes even that doesn't cut it.

I agree with not giving any reason for a beat down to happen. When it does though, unlawfully...?
...Or worse yet, lawfully, under an unjust law.

These are things I think about.
I hope I'm not fitting the definition of Selurcspi's quote in your eyes... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not disagreeing with the principle, I'm just being a realist. There is a time to stand up and resist unlawful authority...but I don't know that the guy in the video was quite in that spot.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:37 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Anecdotally, I travel through that airport quite a bit, and in my experience the TSA people are noticeably more dickish there than in the many other airports I utilize on a regular basis.

Just sayin'.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.