Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ex-MPD Cop to Jury: "Just Trust Me" 
 Post subject: Ex-MPD Cop to Jury: "Just Trust Me"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Ex-Mpls. officer can't use character as sole defense

A judge denied a request by a former Minneapolis police officer to instruct jurors that they could find him not guilty of fraud based solely on his good character.

Michael David Roberts has been indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of corruption and fraud. He was accused of selling police records to a gang member and failing to report $100,000 in income from off-duty security jobs to the IRS.

Attorneys for Roberts asked the court to instruct the jury "that the character evidence, standing alone or when considered in connection with the other evidence in the case, may be sufficient to create a reasonable doubt, in which case Defendant is entitled to an acquittal."

The judge denied the request.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 pm 
Poet Laureate

"But judge! That always works in traffic court!!" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

At least the judge did not buy it! :oops: :roll:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Not sure I'd want to use character as a defense. Discovery could be a real b!tch, you could be required to give the other side a chance to look at your credit scores, work history, pretty much your whole life.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.