Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mom says Patriot Act stripped son of due process 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:00 am 
The Man

Getting back to the original subject, you might want to read this.

Ken's -- yes, it's our new member -- earned a whole lot of credibility in the legal blogosphere. Doesn't make him right on anything, in and of itself, but I find his argument persuasive.

Last edited by joelr on Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:03 am 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
We're bouncing back and forth with extremist rehtoric, right and left, but there are no changes.

And we're apparently too stupid to pick a guy in the middle, like McCain.

McCain was not what I considered an acceptable choice either. The only thing good about McCain's campaign was who he picked as a running mate, the one glimmer of hope.

I think all of the Presidents since 1988 have done a poor to bad job and their alternative's where not much better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
I think all of the Presidents since 1988 have done a poor to bad job and their alternative's where not much better.

The only President in US history I think did not do a bad job was William Henry Harrison. Though Calvin Coolidge wasn't too bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Getting back to the original subject...

In MN, the felony court proceedings of juveniles 16+ are not confidential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 am 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
joelr wrote:
Getting back to the original subject...

In MN, the felony court proceedings of juveniles 16+ are not confidential.
Sure, for the state stuff -- which may or may not be a good thing, and pretty clear is a thing with plusses and minuses.

Federal court proceedings, though, are still covered by the Federal rules, which is a better explanation, I think, for why the Federal proceedings against this kid in North Carolina don't show up on PACER than some vague imprecations against the PATRIOT Act (which, just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of making).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:59 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Federal court proceedings, though, are still covered by the Federal rules, which is a better explanation, I think, for why the Federal proceedings against this kid in North Carolina don't show up on PACER than some vague imprecations against the PATRIOT Act (which, just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of making).

I should be fond of the PATRIOT ACT, being a badged cowboy and all... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Ken's blog blames the media for being taken in by the mother; he's probably correct. (I accepted it at face value; based on the information posted here. Only information I had.)

But that's what happens whenever the government uses secret proceedings. The media (and the rest of us) ) can be "taken in" by the government as well as the opposition.

How much "skepticism" does the media owe to a government which refuses to provide information because it is "secret" or "confidential" by law? Our society is based on openess and public records, not blind trust in our leaders.

Everytime we go "secret" to gain some perceived tactical advantage in a case, we lose our checks and balances, and the respect of our many of own people.

Supposedly, we gained some "valuable information" about terrorists because of the Patriot Act. Whatever it was,(more secrets) it wasn't worth the cost. The Patriot Act helps the terrorists more than us because it weakens our government. We may catch one (out of millions) of "terrorists" at the cost of pissing off millions of Americans. :evil:

Last edited by Dick Unger on Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:57 am 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
joelr wrote:

I should be fond of the PATRIOT ACT, being a badged cowboy and all... :?
Well, yeah, that's what lets the cops do ANYTHING, after all. :)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.