Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Cops ram wrong door; city won't pay 
 Post subject: Cops ram wrong door; city won't pay
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Raid on wrong house frustrates Baltimore couple
Resident fights to have city pay for door police broke down

By Justin Fenton | justin.fenton@baltsun.com
3:56 PM EDT, May 6, 2009

Andrew Leonard, a 33-year-old chemist who has no criminal record, said he and his wife were frightened and humiliated by a mistaken no-knock raid at their Medfield home. Their dog, Figo, was not harmed during the incident. (Baltimore Sun photo)

Andrew Leonard was watching television with his wife not long after returning from Ash Wednesday services when police burst through the front door of his North Baltimore home. He was handcuffed, plopped in a chair and told to keep quiet as officers rifled through the house, then interrogated for 15 minutes about drugs and a dealer he knew nothing about.

As it turned out, police had the wrong house. The man they were looking for lived two doors down.

Leonard, a 33-year-old chemist who has no criminal record, said he and his wife, a 29-year-old credit analyst, were frightened and humiliated by the incident. But for the past two months, he's wanted just one thing from the city: for someone to pay for the damage to his front door.

And he said trying to get the city to help out in the aftermath has been even more frustrating than the police's initial mistake.

"My city is not working for us," said Leonard, who has lived in the Medfield neighborhood north of Hampden since October 2007. "We were victimized and now get zero cooperation from every office we deal with."

No-knock raids can be carried out through warrants signed by judges or by police who determine at the scene that announcing themselves would present a threat to officer safety or that a suspect is likely to destroy evidence. Critics say the highly confrontational tactic, often involving masked and armed officers, is increasingly being used across the country in situations that don't require such a volatile response.

A study by the Cato Institute in 2006 said hundreds of raids nationwide are conducted each year on wrong addresses, sometimes resulting in death. Such raids were heavily scrutinized in Maryland last year when police rushing the home of the mayor of Berwyn Heights shot and killed his two dogs. Police cleared the mayor and his wife of wrongdoing — saying they were unsuspecting victims of a marijuana smuggling scheme — but defended the actions of the officers involved in the raid at the time.

Leonard said that incident flashed in his mind as his dog, an 80-pound chocolate Labrador named Figo, raced upstairs from the basement after police began ramming the door on Feb. 25. After the initial confusion and being peppered with a host of questions about drugs, Leonard said his attention turned toward securing his home.

He nailed his broken door shut and for a time entered and exited the home through the back alley. Eventually, he and some relatives did a "fair but amateur" job to install a new door. But work remained to be done, and he wanted the city to pay for it.

"I don't think any reasonable person would argue otherwise," Leonard said.

The city denied his claim to be reimbursed for the damage to the door. Leonard said he was told that since the warrant police were acting on did indeed list Leonard's address, the officers who burst through his front door hadn't technically stormed the wrong house.

After being connected with him through Councilwoman Belinda Conaway, the police commissioner's office promised to follow through as a "good faith measure," Leonard said.

But for the past two weeks his calls have not been returned, he said.

Meanwhile, the old front door sat in the backyard for two months. Leonard said he called the city's bulk trash pickup, but no one came. The city inspectors who issue tickets for garbage in residents' back yards did, however, and wrote him a $50 fine. It finally got picked up last Thursday.

"There is nothing that is right with this situation -- nobody deserves this type of treatment from the city," he said.

After receiving inquiries from The Baltimore Sun, a spokesman for Mayor Sheila Dixon assured that Leonard's claims would be forwarded to the Office of Neighborhoods and dealt with "immediately."

"Mr. Leonard's situation is very unfortunate," spokesman Scott Peterson said in an e-mail. "Now that this had been brought to the attention of the Mayor's Office, we will look into Mr. Leonard's complaints immediately and will respond with the care, attention, and respect that he, like all residents in Baltimore, deserves."

Anthony Guglielmi, a police spokesman, said a command investigation — a type of internal investigation — was reviewing whether appropriate procedures were followed in regard to the raid. As far as the claim for Leonard's front door, Guglielmi said the estimate for repairs was high enough that the claim will have to go through the Board of Estimates, a process that could take some time.

"As far as making Mr. Leonard whole, the commissioner is aware of it and it is in the process," Guglielmi said.

Police did eventually make an arrest of the original target of the raid. David Pfister, 35, was arrested on a warrant on March 21 and charged with three counts of drug possession and distribution. In 2001, he pleaded guilty and received a 10-year sentence for drug possession with intent to distribute, though all but 30 days of that sentence was suspended.

Leonard said he isn't angry at the police. He said one of his best friends is a detective in New York City, and he understands that they put their own lives on the line running into dangerous houses. His concern is with the failure by city agencies to follow up.

"It definitely has [changed my view of Baltimore], not because of the break in, but the lack of action on the back end and the city not owning up to their responsibility" Leonard said. "It's really given me a sour taste."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

He's not angry with the police for yet another screwed up no-knock warrant???

"Oh my eyes have seen the coming of the jackboots of the state...."

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

how many homeowner deaths (by a no-knock-cop entering the wront home where the owner is armed) will it take to get rid of these warrants or at least the errors? this scares me.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

The problem is, the most commonly-uttered word these days is...

"BAAAAAA"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Don't get me started. This is not comming to a city near you, it is already here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The city denied his claim to be reimbursed for the damage to the door. Leonard said he was told that since the warrant police were acting on did indeed list Leonard's address, the officers who burst through his front door hadn't technically stormed the wrong house.

Um, who put that address on the warrant application/affidavit? Leprechauns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 pm 

That broken door would have sat in my front yard with large lettering indicating the person's name that was responsible for the mistake and the police department that defended it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
Don't get me started. This is not comming to a city near you, it is already here.

While your experience is a lot more personal, I know exactly what you mean. My neighbors down the street are probably still filling the bullet holes the Scott County officer doing his "Sir Robin" impression made before bravely running away after his botched (Wrong House) rescue atttempt of a domestic assault victim... that the whole of the Scott County Police force then took another hour to rescue.

Yeah.

If there was a mistake like this at my house, someone would be collecting death benefits. If it was someone in my family I would imagine they'd only collect after a long and arduous process of lawsuits and appeals.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

UPDATE:

Quote:
City pays for repairs to man's door

Drug raid hit the wrong house

By Justin Fenton | justin.fenton@baltsun.com
May 13, 2009

Andrew Leonard received a check from the city to repair his broken front door and a phone call from Mayor Sheila Dixon, more than two months after police stormed his house in a raid on the wrong address and one day after his plight was reported in The Baltimore Sun.

"We're done and satisfied and moving on with our lives," said Leonard, 33, who lives in the North Baltimore neighborhood of Medfield. "Everything is as it ought to have been, only much, much later than one would expect."

Leonard had been trying to recoup damages to his home since Feb. 25, when Baltimore police knocked down his front door and searched his home while investigating a drug case. After handcuffing and questioning Leonard, a chemist with no criminal record, police learned the home they wanted was actually two doors down.

After Leonard's claim for damages was turned down by the city law department, the Police Department pledged to follow up. In the meantime, he placed his damaged door in his backyard and called bulk trash pickup, only to get a $50 citation for having the door on his property.

Leonard, who paid the citation, had his money refunded last week, the day an article appeared in The Baltimore Sun. Officials said Leonard's claim for the door, however, would have to go through the Board of Estimates' approval process.

But on Friday afternoon, Leonard said, two city officials hand-delivered a $917 check, the average of the estimates Leonard had received to repair the damage.

He also received a call from Dixon, who apologized and said she was glad that Leonard and his wife enjoyed living in the city.

"Mr. Leonard's ordeal is a reminder to all city employees of the need to better communicate amongst agencies, within departments, and bring issues to the attention of the Mayor's Office when a constituent is not being rightfully served within the city," Dixon spokesman Scott Peterson said in an e-mail Tuesday. "The citizens, who are our bosses and pay our salaries, expect us to achieve at levels of perfection and we should always strive for that."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Translation from politico-speak:

"Oh shit, we just got plastered in the media, and we don't want this coming up in the next election. Better pay the guy and make it seem like the city is doing right without actually punishing the idiots who caused this mess or working to correct the conditions that allowed it to happen."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:

Um, who put that address on the warrant application/affidavit? Leprechauns?

Geesh, be serious man. I mean really......Leprechauns??? :roll:

Can't you just give an honest answer??

Unicorns
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Translation from politico-speak:

"Oh shit, we just got plastered in the media, and we don't want this coming up in the next election. Better pay the guy and make it seem like the city is doing right without actually punishing the idiots who caused this mess or working to correct the conditions that allowed it to happen."

It's good to have someone bilingual around. I think your translation is accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
"The citizens, who are our bosses and pay our salaries, expect us to achieve at levels of perfection and we should always strive for that."

Can you translate this one for me... it's not adding up?

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
Quote:
"The citizens, who are our bosses and pay our salaries, expect us to achieve at levels of perfection and we should always strive for that."

Can you translate this one for me... it's not adding up?

Sure thing!

"Suckers."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.