Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Seattle deputy's shove leaves innocent man in coma 
 Post subject: Seattle deputy's shove leaves innocent man in coma
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:20 am 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD98BEVRG1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llvTQn8 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyrL6PKY ... r_embedded

By TIM KLASS – 5 days ago

SEATTLE (AP) — Authorities have released surveillance video showing a burly sheriff's deputy slamming a man head first into a wall earlier this month, leaving him in a coma. Christopher Harris remains in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center, his family says. The 29-year-old had been pursued by deputies May 10 after a witness wrongly identified him as a suspect in an assault.

Sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart (URK'-hart), who released the video Thursday, says Deputy Matthew Paul did not violate policy in tackling Harris. He says Harris was trying to get away, and calls the injury "a tragic accident."

A Harris family lawyer says the video and witness accounts show he was a victim of excessive force.

Post subject: Re: Seattle deputy's shove leaves innocent man in coma
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

4013tsw wrote:
Sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart (URK'-hart), who released the video Thursday, says Deputy Matthew Paul did not violate policy in tackling Harris. He says Harris was trying to get away, and calls the injury "a tragic accident."

A Harris family lawyer says the video and witness accounts show he was a victim of excessive force.

I could make an inflamatory comment here. I could say that from this day forward, every time an officer is gunned down <strike>while kicking doors and stomping kittens</strike> in the line of duty, it should be referred to as "a tragic accident".

Because, there aren't any double standards, right? We're all on the same keel?

Anything else I say would only degrade into childish insults of the Bacon in Blue.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

4013tsw wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5inEA87Tue_v25r8xH0KoFFWJedpAD98BEVRG1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llvTQn8 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyrL6PKY ... r_embedded

By TIM KLASS – 5 days ago

SEATTLE (AP) — Authorities have released surveillance video showing a burly sheriff's deputy slamming a man head first into a wall earlier this month, leaving him in a coma. Christopher Harris remains in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center, his family says. The 29-year-old had been pursued by deputies May 10 after a witness wrongly identified him as a suspect in an assault.

Tragic accident my ass.

I can't wait for that to get in front of a jury.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Tragic yes, but not too surprising that you get hurt during a takedown after a police chase.

Don't run, sort it out later!

Way too early to pass judgment on this one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Binky .357 wrote:
4013tsw wrote:

I could make an inflamatory comment here. I could say that from this day forward, every time an officer is gunned down <strike>while kicking doors and stomping kittens</strike> in the line of duty, it should be referred to as "a tragic accident".

Anything else I say would only degrade into childish insults of the Bacon in Blue.

Oops! To late on that one!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Tragic yes, but not too surprising that you get hurt during a takedown after a police chase.

Gotta disagree in this specific case. A forceful takedown after a pursuit, yes...but any decent training in hand-to-hand will teach you that walls and floors are deadly objects. While I can't speak for the officer in question, I know that my training covered how to drop somebody while trying to minimize impact to the head. This officer didn't care.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Binky .357 wrote:
4013tsw wrote:

Oops! To late on that one!

I can't really find it within myself to care if I insult a JBT or two. If they're that sensitive and unethical, I'm sure there's a State Fair somewhere that needs a few Carnies to clean up the puke on the Tilt-a-Whirl...

Hell, they'll still be doing a public service, but at least they won't be a danger to the law abiding "civilians" among us...

mrokern wrote:
Tragic accident my ass.

I can't wait for that to get in front of a jury.

-Mark

It'll never see a jury. The city in question will give the Thug in Blue a two week paid <strike>suspension</strike> vacation, and a medal, and probably a promotion. Not only that, but their local version of our Metro Gang Strike Force will probably "donate" a siezed car to him for his two week paid <strike>suspension</strike> vacation.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there really is no justice any more-especially not for the victims of the JBTs.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Thu May 28, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to see more "before" video.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Greg wrote:

Gotta disagree in this specific case. A forceful takedown after a pursuit, yes...but any decent training in hand-to-hand will teach you that walls and floors are deadly objects. While I can't speak for the officer in question, I know that my training covered how to drop somebody while trying to minimize impact to the head. This officer didn't care.

-Mark

Yeah I was gonna say something along that line of thought. This sure doesn't look like the normally approached method of takedown to me. If the idea of physical contact with the suspect is to control them, I don't see how violently knocking them off balance and not maintaining control over them accomplishes that.

Plus, they say this guy was running. I admit he wasn't cooperating but certainly wasn't running. At best he was briskly walking away. Hardly a good reason for the violence and level of force seen here.

A jury is going to eat this one up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe. Maybe the new fangled sparkles int the white wash will dazzle the right people into making the wrong choice. . . juries . . .. . the jury has always been a loaded dice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.