Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Whoops! Bad Tip in Baltimore 
 Post subject: Whoops! Bad Tip in Baltimore
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Home Destroyed & Dog Killed in Baltimore Police Raid

"They shot through the door in front of screaming children that were begging them to let the dog out and she was cowering in there,” said homeowner Corina Amato, “They shot through the door and she ran upstairs in the bedroom, and they went up there and pumped AK47 shots into her in my bedroom."

"This is the bullet hole where they shot my dog," said Amato’s boyfriend, Rick Johnson, as he pointed to a splintered hole in the bedroom’s wood floor, "There was a pile of guts and blood right up underneath the bed."

Police destroyed the front door, and now the couple must nail up pieces of plywood to secure their home... or what’s left of it.

The living room is unlivable, the bedroom furniture---splintered and the office has been turned upside down, not to mention tearing holes in the walls, shattering the porcelain bathroom and ripping apart the music room.

The search turned up plenty of herbs Amato had growing in her sunroom, but not the one a confidential informant suggested they would find---marijuana.

"I would have thought this would have come from the drug dealers in the neighborhood,” said Amato, “cause we call the police quite a lot."

Baltimore City Police are refusing to comment on the raid except to say they had probable cause for it or a judge never would have signed off on a search warrant.

But when it turns into a search and destroy mission, Rick Johnson says they’ve gone too far.

"If they were looking for something... fine. If they found it... fine, but this didn't take place in two minutes. This was over the course of a couple of hours that they were in here and tearing up my house.

The couple wasn’t home at the time of the raid, and according to the search warrant, police turned up a weight scale and some plastic baggies, but no drugs.

No one has been charged, and the department has neither apologized nor offered any restitution for killing their dog or trashing their home.

Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Whoops! Bad Tip in Baltimore
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Scales are criminal instruments? I guess my reloading will be by "guess and by golly" from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Baltimore City Police are refusing to comment on the raid except to say they had probable cause for it or a judge never would have signed off on a search warrant.

Right. Because cops never lie exaggerate on search warrant affidavits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:39 pm 

That some person informed police about some drugs (point A) and that was enough for them to decide to to seek a warrant (point B), without any investigation between A and B, and then figure the best way to execute it was a no-knock raid, shows how eager they were just to raid. Raid whoever. We really dig raiding. SWAT actions are expensive.When this shit happens regularly it can't be called a mistake, and no one here seems to think that. But, why is it that the media never says boo about the judges signing these warrants? If I didn't know better, I'd think that they weren't giving the utmost scrutiny to every warrant asked of them...

Any criminal justice professionals here want to speak to that? Is it pretty much business as usual for a judge to sign a warrant rooted solely in hearsay from an unknown informant? If so, is it at least frowned upon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 pm 

I don't wonder if they weren't spying with thermo imaging...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
That some person informed police about some drugs (point A) and that was enough for them to decide to to seek a warrant (point B), without any investigation between A and B, and then figure the best way to execute it was a no-knock raid, shows how eager they were just to raid. Raid whoever. We really dig raiding. SWAT actions are expensive.When this shit happens regularly it can't be called a mistake, and no one here seems to think that. But, why is it that the media never says boo about the judges signing these warrants? If I didn't know better, I'd think that they weren't giving the utmost scrutiny to every warrant asked of them...

Any criminal justice professionals here want to speak to that? Is it pretty much business as usual for a judge to sign a warrant rooted solely in hearsay from an unknown informant? If so, is it at least frowned upon?

Nope. Right here in Hennepin, we have judges whose sole reason for wearing robes (no figurative as they don't bother) is to rubber stamp these dealios. That is right, they don't hear cases, you can't meet with them, they sit in a cubby somewhere and stamp stuff that comes across their desk (and one such judge's secretary said "they don't even often read the affidavit") Judge Patricia L. Belois, thank you for your service, one of these is too many, please step down and hang your head in shame every time you seen an American flag representing the Constitution you pissed on. Nope, judges and warrants with affidavits based on probable cause are symbolic of the American form of Criminal Justice, now unfortunately that is just symbolism.

And yup, those thermo imagers are cool & raise all sorts of Constitutional questions. I like that firefighters can use them to see through smoke and even walls to look for folks to rescue, but the use of thermo imagers in law enforcement makes me itchy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 am 

Macx wrote:
Nope. Right here in Hennepin, we have judges whose sole reason for wearing robes (no figurative as they don't bother) is to rubber stamp these dealios. That is right, they don't hear cases, you can't meet with them, they sit in a cubby somewhere and stamp stuff that comes across their desk
That really blows. I wonder why no group has lobbied for civilian review boards for judges. At least city judges. They could look at, say, five especially questionable warrants if a judge establishes a pattern of BS, and if they found three or more to be ridiculous, then they'd announce it.

There could be a trust set up for that purpose, with funds that the board could use to buy space in the paper to announce their findings if they determined the judge to be a useless prick. Bringing the issue to the taxpayer's attention would give people the opportunity to get angry about it.

A real reporter would identify the judge, since people obviously want to know:
Jeff Hager for ABC2News wrote:
Absolutely. A judge never would have signed off on anything founded solely on the non-investigated statement of a paid storyteller.

A real journalist would take a page from Bob Norman's book. If you have some time, and dig it when the little guy bends City Hall way over the table, in installments, check out his reporting of the Fane Lozman saga.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.