Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Judge roughed up for asking for ticket. WTF? 
 Post subject: Judge roughed up for asking for ticket. WTF?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm still scratching my head....

Trooper booked after confrontation with judge

Quote:

By Vickie Welborn • vwelborn@gannett.com • July 10, 2009

A state trooper was booked today for allegedly roughing up a Red River Parish district judge during a traffic stop June 29 in the courthouse parking lot.

Trooper Eric Schonfarber, a 14-year state police veteran, was arrested this morning after turning himself into Red River Parish sheriff’s authorities on three warrants signed late Thursday afternoon by a New Orleans district judge. The warrants charge Schonfarber with aggravated assault, simple battery and false imprisonment.

Schonfarber was working this morning when he was called to the Troop G headquarters in Bossier City. An internal investigation had been ongoing since the incident involving District Judge Lewis Sams took place.

“We don’t know precisely what happened after our trooper stopped the judge for not wearing a seat belt, but we’re going to find out. As soon as we learned that a confrontation between the trooper and the judge had occurred, we began an internal administrative inquiry. We hope to wrap that investigation soon and will share our findings. If those findings deem further action on our part, we’ll do what is necessary and appropriate,” state police Col. Mike Edmonson said in a news release.

Schonfarber initiated the traffic stop after spotting Sams without his seat belt on. Sams had just left the courthouse and was making a quick return trip when Schonfarber pulled into the courthouse parking lot behind him.

Schonfarber asked for Sams’ identification and he complied. The trooper informed him of the violation and Sams admitted he was not wearing a seat belt. Sams told the trooper to write the ticket.

During the discussion, Sams identified himself as a district judge and Schonfarber asked to see a badge that was in Sams’ wallet. Sams refused, saying he wasn’t going to use his position to get out of a ticket.

That’s when the confrontation allegedly became physical. Schonfarber pulled out his Taser and threatened the judge, and also threw him onto the hood of his patrol car. A Red River Parish constable and occupants of the courthouse witnessed the events.

Schonfarber released the judge and issued the seat belt violation.

While all personally assigned state police vehicles are equipped with in-car video recording systems, Schonfarber was using a pool unit while his vehicle was out of service. Pool vehicles do not have the recording equipment, so there is no video of the incident, Edmonson said in the news release.

“We know that nothing is more important than public confidence in this agency, and I intend to maintain that confidence. Neither our troopers nor those they come in contact with are above the law,” Edmonson said.

Post subject: Re: Judge roughed up for asking for ticket. WTF?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:07 pm 
Wise Elder

Some people you shouldn't pick on, especially in their own parking lot.

Bad judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

If the judge had only followed the advice: Don't talk to the cops, this might not have happened. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

We need more judges to get roughed up. Then maybe some of these "more equal" individuals will be punished.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

What I found unusual in this story is that it didn't get physical until the judge asked for the ticket and refused to "badge" his way out of it. Hence, my "WTF?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
During the discussion, Sams identified himself as a district judge and Schonfarber asked to see a badge that was in Sams’ wallet. Sams refused, saying he wasn’t going to use his position to get out of a ticket.

This is where it went pear shaped. The judge probably should have kept his mouth shut. Barring that, the cop probably should have said "Oh yeah? You're a judge? Here at this courthouse? Well, that's a new notch on my citation book, your honor."

The judge didn't want to badge his way out of the ticket, but his ego just wouldn't let him keep his yap shut. And the cop's monomaniacal control complex made him say "prove it".

When an irresistible force
Such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me
You can bet as sure as you live
Something gotta give
Something gotta give
Something gotta give

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Sounds political. Almost like a set up. Judge badges his way out of a ticket & next election his competition gets to roll out the officer talking about "equal justice & more equal justices" . . . . the jusdge refused to bite the bait and the cop got pissed. That'd be my guess er, the way I can make sense of it pretty quick. Dirty politics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
What I found unusual in this story is that it didn't get physical until the judge asked for the ticket and refused to "badge" his way out of it. Hence, my "WTF?"

Gotta keep in mind that it is a newspaper report.
Who knows what got left out and what got screwed up by the reporters lack of comprehension.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
tman065 wrote:

Gotta keep in mind that it is a newspaper report.
Who knows what got left out and what got screwed up by the reporters lack of comprehension.

Something has to have been left out, because like tman says, the judge's refusal to badge out couldn't be the spark that ignited this situation. It simply doesn't make sense for any reason. Something else has to have happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
Something has to have been left out, because like tman says, the judge's refusal to badge out couldn't be the spark that ignited this situation. It simply doesn't make sense for any reason. Something else has to have happened.

Right, because bullies with badges* NEVER act irrationally. :roll:

The story makes it pretty clear that it was refusing respect the officer's aurthoritah and produce the badge is what set the officer off.

------------------------------------------------
* And, really, do I need to say this again? Okay, here goes: Not all badge-holders are bullies, but many bullies have badges.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:06 pm 

I have a feeling it was something like:

"I'm a judge"

"sure you are buddy, let's see some id".

"uh... no. I'm not using my position to get out of a ticket"

Then the officer blew a fuse. Thinking that this 'jerk' was lying to him.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.