Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Kasota man shot by deputy during attempted arrest 
 Post subject: Re: Kasota man shot by deputy during attempted arrest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

That county has only about 25,000 people, probably about 8 deputies. He's a home town boy who has a fairly extensive police record. If you are a small town hell raiser, you know all the cops, your friendss know all the cops and you talk about and avoid the same cops all the time.

You know when you can run too. The artice says the cop chased them and demanded to know who was driving. They probably would not answer. Been there, done that too when I was young. In a small town, when you have the police outnumbered, you may get arrested, but you know you won't eat gravel, as in a large county. I can see how this would happen with drunks who are also paranoid from drugs.

Right or wrong, the cop was trying to take down at least two men before they laughed at him and disappeared. A fight ensued, and the cop apparently believed he needed to shoot. I'd bet the cop knew the man he shot too. We'll see. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Going to a grand jury Nov 4

Quote:
Grand jury will consider charges in shooting of unarmed man by deputy

Last update: October 13, 2009 - 10:45 AM

A grand jury will convene Nov. 4 to hear
testimony and consider charges in the
shooting death of an unarmed Kasota man
who was killed this summer by a Le Sueur
County sheriff's deputy.

Tyler Heilman, 24, was shirtless and wearing
only swimming trunks when plainclothes
deputy Todd Waldron shot him twice in the
chest on July 20. The Anoka County
attorney's office is convening the grand jury
proceedings, which are expected to last two
or three days. They will not be open to the
public.

Heilman had been swimming with friends
when Waldron followed him and a friend,
Kris Hoehn, back to an apartment complex.
The Le Sueur County sheriff's office said the
car Heilman was in was driving erratically.
Heilman's friends, who witnessed the
shooting, said Waldron was not in uniform,
and never identified himself as a deputy.

Hoehn has said that Waldron asked for
Heilman's driver's license. Heilman walked

away, unsure of Waldron's identity, and a
wrestling match broke out when Waldron
grabbed Heilman's shoulders, Hoehn said.

Heilman flipped Waldron to the ground and
the two wrestled, witnesses said, and when
Heilman jumped off Waldron, the deputy
shot him without giving a verbal warning.
Authorities have said that Waldron, a 10-
year veteran of the force, fired at least four
shots.

Heilman has a toddler-aged son with his
longtime girlfriend. His family members and
friends have demonstrated and posted signs
demanding a resolution to the case.

CHAO XIONG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
That county has only about 25,000 people, probably about 8 deputies. He's a home town boy who has a fairly extensive police record. If you are a small town hell raiser, you know all the cops, your friendss know all the cops and you talk about and avoid the same cops all the time

You know that's not necessarily true. I live in a small town of about 2500 people and apart from the Police Chief, I don't know any of the cops. The only reason that I know the Police Chief is that he is a state legislator and his face is on billboards come election time. I used to know most of them but in the sixteen years that I have lived here, most of the cops have either retired or moved on. My daughter who is 20, knows none of the cops anymore and she graduated from the high school here. I know who the Sheriff (who also lives here) is but I wouldn't recognize him if he walked by me on the street. I know none of the Sheriff's deputies either. Kasota, like my town doesn't have much in the way of industry and most people work in the bigger towns nearby.

Gone are the days of the small town cop who spends his whole life in one town. We had a disturbance in our neighborhood a while back and I called the local police officers in. They were just two fresh faced youngsters who didn't look old enough to shave but that's probably just me getting older. I'm not necessarily picking on you Dick, but several people have said that guy who was shot would have known who all the cops were. I'm just saying that that might not be the case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, we know he has a long criminal record. He was a regular customer of the cops in his town. That's why he would know them.

Also, I know one of his classmates. They both grew up in that town. Too bad, but no surprise to his classmate that he would resist arrest, and fight with a policeman rather than submit to going to jail. Too bad, but that's the way this guy rolled.

It looks like a DUI, and he fought with the policeman, instead of submitting to arrest and another jail term. We'll see what the Grand Jury does. But from here, I'm not expecting him to be the poster child for victims of police brutality.

(You and your daughter would know the cops if you had been committing a lot of crimes in your town and been getting arrested and serviing a few jail terms. :P )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:22 pm 
Wise Elder

This sounds like disengagement not a continuing attack -- "when Heilman jumped off Waldron, the deputy
shot him...". Apparently the fight was over. The cop waited until he'd lost the fight, then he got even.

If I were the County Attorney, I'd charge him. "Getting even" is manslaughter not self-defense. You try it, you'll find out right quick.

I suspect, though, that the "LEO rule" will apply and he'll be no billed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:31 pm 

At least he doesn't have to worry about the remaining fines on his First Degree Burglary:

07/31/2009 Credit-Party Deceased (890.00)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Timothy Nelson wrote:
At least he doesn't have to worry about the remaining fines on his First Degree Burglary:

That, my friend, speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I wasn't going to speak out....

But I don't care WHAT a persons history is....

It's not right that a LEO can put 4 rounds into a person who has surrendered after finding out they are LEO.

Granted there's a lot here NOT said about the incident, but the fact that a grand jury has been called is showing the direction that the prosecutors are going with it.

I hope that the system will lend itself to what is right. I just don't have faith in it anymore. From the officer on the street to the final judges gavel and everything in-between.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Actually, a Grand Jury does NOT mean prosecutors believe this should be charged. A grand jury investifgation is standard operating procedure in every police shooting in Minnesota. It's the way to charge when they don't have probable cause AND the way to whitewash something that should be charged when they don"t want to charge it.

Nobody is saying it's OK to shoot somebody because he has a record of misbehavior. But it is reasonable to believe that somebody with a record of, say, getting high and fighting with police may have acted consistantly with their past behavior. That's all, that's reasonable and that's the way we all conduct our daily affairs. Most people don't fight with police; if you often do that, folks will reasonably hold that against you in the future.

There is a question as to whether the deceased and his friend realized this was a police officer because the officer was not in uniform. The grand jury will look at the facts. based on disputed evidence. If the deceased actually knew the police officer, that's relevant. If the toxicology shows the deceased was actually DUI, that's relevant.

Had the deceased actually surrendered? Maybe, maybe not. He may have won the fight and then simply surrendered, but how likely is that senario? What would an officer, having just LOST A FIGHT, reasonably believe? (That his opponent suddenly changed his mind about the fight?)

What do you think probably will be the result of this, based on what we know now?

The grand jury will make a decision as to whether deadly force appears to have been justified. Not everyone will agree with this decision.

I think police get away with sh*t too often. But part of the problem is that we can be quick to accuse police, and then we usually look like the boy who cries wolf all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Really, really nice analysis Dick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick,

I think I might like you today. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't worry -- the feeling will pass. ;)

Nah, seriously, nice analysis. Almost like you've seen it before.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.