Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Kasota man shot by deputy during attempted arrest 
 Post subject: Re: Kasota man shot by deputy during attempted arrest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm 

tman065 wrote:
I hate to bump this thread, but I was reading the PoliceOne article (reprint of local sources) on the shooting, which had a local news video attached. It is clear to me that the group knew that the deputy was a LEO.

Please watch the video, and pay particular attention to the guy who starts at 1:18-19 into the segment:

http://www.policeone.com/officer-shooti ... armed-man/

So, is Police One only half as bias as the Huntington Post?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mattxd wrote:
tman065 wrote:
I hate to bump this thread, but I was reading the PoliceOne article (reprint of local sources) on the shooting, which had a local news video attached. It is clear to me that the group knew that the deputy was a LEO.

Please watch the video, and pay particular attention to the guy who starts at 1:18-19 into the segment:

http://www.policeone.com/officer-shooti ... armed-man/

So, is Police One only half as bias as the Huntington Post?

By law enforcement, for law enforcement. No doubt there. :wink:

The article, however, was not written by them, and the video clip is local affilliate. I am not pointing to the commentary on the site, someone else did that here already. I am pointing to the story itself, as presented by the other media.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Any way you can fix the link to the video?

For some reason, on this site, if it's 'too long', the last part of links don't show up. :bang:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:

For some reason, on this site, if it's 'too long', the last part of links don't show up. :bang:

No, I think you copied an already-shortened URL from the other site. You can't just copy the http://something....something. You have to right-click and copy URL.

[Edit: Nope, turns out it's a long-standing forum bug. You were doing it right -- the software was wrecking it. Sorry!]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Hunter07 wrote:

No, I think you copied an already-shortened URL from the other site. You can't just copy the http://something....something. You have to right-click and copy URL.

Hmmm, Andrew, your link seems broken...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Let's try this: POLICE ONE VIDEO LINK HERE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:

I'd LOVE to see the full interview with that guy. Seems like there is more there of interest...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I will say this.

That deputy was very lucky that one of the dead kid's friends wasn't a permit holder, and acted to save the kids life, by engaging the active shooter.

Then, we would have a dead cop, and he would never be able to claim that he did, in fact, identify himself.

When the cavalry came and rolled over the shooter's corpse, only to find a badge, do you think that a permit holder would get to walk, as it seems this deputy will?

Equal protection, my a$$.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:33 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
I will say this.

That deputy was very lucky that one of the dead kid's friends wasn't a permit holder, and acted to save the kids life, by engaging the active shooter.

Then, we would have a dead cop, and he would never be able to claim that he did, in fact, identify himself.

When the cavalry came and rolled over the shooter's corpse, only to find a badge, do you think that a permit holder would get to walk, as it seems this deputy will?

Equal protection, my a$$.

it doesn't seam to be working out that way for our friend in Anoka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I decided to look at Kasota on a map. Based on population numbers, Leseur County is smaller than the county I work in. My patrol area is large, geographically speaking, but probably contains less than 20 % of the county population. The locals recognize me in and OUT of uniform.

If I had to bet, I be all-in that they knew exactly who he was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:56 am 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
I decided to look at Kasota on a map. Based on population numbers, Leseur County is smaller than the county I work in. My patrol area is large, geographically speaking, but probably contains less than 20 % of the county population. The locals recognize me in and OUT of uniform.

That is, admittedly, a distinct possibility. However, multiple witnessing parties stated that they did not, in fact, know that the attacker was a cop.

What's more, again according to multiple witnesses, as soon as the victim saw the badge, he got up off the cop, and put his hands up. THAT is when, according to these stories, the officer drew and shot, not before.

It sure sounds like the officer was no longer in danger, though he might have had a few bruises, some to his ego. Likely he was a mite ticked, too, at having bitten off more than he could chew.

Time was, most off-duty cops had a magnetic blue light, that they could pull out and stick to the roof of their car, in just such circumstances. Such a thing would sure make the citizen wonder if, in fact, they were dealing with LE. I wonder why officers don't seem to use these any more. Likewise, a badge necklace, a la "Miami Vice" would further lead to ID'ing the officer as such. Lacking these contrivances, why not lead with one's badge, (This is what it's for, after all) and announce in one's "command" voice that one is a cop? Could it be that emotion got the better of this officer's professionalism? It seems highly likely.

Side thought: how often are cops checked for the presence of illegal substances in their urine? Specifically, steroids? Many cops here in Minnesota are doing a good job of imitating what's called " 'roid rage", if that's not what is in fact happening. Are there state standards for such?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Time was, most off-duty cops had a magnetic blue light, that they could pull out and stick to the roof of their car, in just such circumstances. Such a thing would sure make the citizen wonder if, in fact, they were dealing with LE. I wonder why officers don't seem to use these any more. Likewise, a badge necklace, a la "Miami Vice" would further lead to ID'ing the officer as such. Lacking these contrivances, why not lead with one's badge, (This is what it's for, after all) and announce in one's "command" voice that one is a cop? Could it be that emotion got the better of this officer's professionalism? It seems highly likely.

Something about this incident certainly doesn't add up. I have not heard both sides, though, either.

Quote:
Side thought: how often are cops checked for the presence of illegal substances in their urine? Specifically, steroids? Many cops here in Minnesota are doing a good job of imitating what's called " 'roid rage", if that's not what is in fact happening. Are there state standards for such?

My union has done an excellent job from protecting me from random drug tests. :lol:

There are no state standards that I am aware of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:

The guy who was shot has a fairly extensive record of contact with the local authorities. There is aout a 99% chance he "knew" every local cop. That's why the guy didn't want to stick around, he was DUI again, and "caught" by the cop. And if he was not taken at once, he'd naturally "know" to run away quickly before backup arrived, and DUI another day.

If you're actually DUI and a guy comes saying "I'n a cop, you're under arrest", you're not going to think he's just a small town mugger. You'd "know". Especially if he has arrested you in the past. A bystander, late to the scene might have questions, but I'd bet he knew he was resisting arrest. Don't know if the shooting was justified, but it was stupid to try to beat up the armed cop. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

Something about this incident certainly doesn't add up. I have not heard both sides, though, either.

[quote]

Precisely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
tman065 wrote:

The guy who was shot has a fairly extensive record of contact with the local authorities. There is aout a 99% chance he "knew" every local cop. That's why the guy didn't want to stick around, he was DUI again, and "caught" by the cop. And if he was not taken at once, he'd naturally "know" to run away quickly before backup arrived, and DUI another day.

If you're actually DUI and a guy comes saying "I'n a cop, you're under arrest", you're not going to think he's just a small town mugger. You'd "know". Especially if he has arrested you in the past. A bystander, late to the scene might have questions, but I'd bet he knew he was resisting arrest. Don't know if the shooting was justified, but it was stupid to try to beat up the armed cop. :cry:

I was not under the impression that the dead kid was doing the driving. Also, the officer was a county deputy, not a local cop. Food for thought.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.