Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Woman left homeless after SWAT raid 
 Post subject: Woman left homeless after SWAT raid
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
ANDERSON, Ind. — A woman was left without a livable home Wednesday after the Anderson Police Department SWAT team used tear gas and other methods to try to coax out a fugitive who wasn't there.

Mary Williams said her rental home was destroyed after the SWAT raid, all the windows busted out and the lingering effects of at least 15 canisters of tear gas making it impossible to stay in the house for more than a few minutes.

I'm homeless," she said. "I don't have nowhere to stay. I don't have any clothes. My house is so destroyed, you would have thought I was a notorious drug dealer."

APD Sgt. Bill Casey said dispatchers received an anonymous tip Wednesday that suspected drug dealer Tracy Miller was hiding in Williams' home.

"We believe this guy was possibly armed," Casey said. It's the same guy that went into a place and robbed four women at gunpoint. We take those kind of things seriously."

Williams said when police knocked on her door about 6:45 p.m., she told them Miller was not in the residence. When officers asked if they could bring a canine into the home for a search, Williams gave them permission.

"I went outside across the street waiting for them to bring the canine," she said. "We stood out there for two hours. They waited until it was pitch dark, then started shooting off tear gas. They didn't bring out a canine unit."

Police disputed Williams' claim she had given them permission to search the house. Miller was not found in the home, and Williams is asking the city for restitution for her destroyed property. She plans to hire an attorney to pursue the case.

"I am going to sue them," she said. "I have to get something out of this. I'm not going to let this go because my life savings is destroyed.

City attorney Tim Lanane said under the Indiana Tort Claims Act, municipalities have immunity for acts taken under the name of the law.

http://www.rockwallheraldbanner.com/cnh ... d=topstory

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject: Re: Woman left homeless after SWAT raid
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

May be more here than meets the eye. A lot here doesn't add up...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:55 pm 

that's how things roll for minorities in Indiana I live in Muncie (20 min away) for a few years. While i was there i ran a department where i had a delivery company that wouldn't even go into that county. I thought they were full of it when I first got there and scheduled them a delivery the owner came unhinged and threatened to pull all of his trucks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Williams said when police knocked on her door about 6:45 p.m., she told them Miller was not in the residence. When officers asked if they could bring a canine into the home for a search, Williams gave them permission.

+
Quote:
Police disputed Williams' claim she had given them permission to search the house.

=
She broke the golden rule - "No officer I do not consent to any search" Once you give them permission or once they have a warrant, you don't get to say "why are you looking in my medicine cabinet when the only thing on the warrant is a human being?" If they wanna break a door and split the door frame outta the wall when they could just bust a pane of glass and turn a knob welcome to SWAT raid. . . .. Once they have the go ahead to search. . . . they will search as they please, if that includes getting in their yearly tear gas launcher qualification for a few officers. . . that is how it is. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

SWAT training...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Macx wrote:
She broke the golden rule - "No officer I do not consent to any search" Once you give them permission or once they have a warrant, you don't get to say "why are you looking in my medicine cabinet when the only thing on the warrant is a human being?"

Don't ask that. Watch them do it, and take stuff. Later your attorney can point out

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

and therefore whatever they seized from the medicine cabinet was taken illegally and must be suppressed.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.