Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 AR-15 stolen from Hastings squad car 
 Post subject: AR-15 stolen from Hastings squad car
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:50 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.hastingsstargazette.com/event/article/id/20594/

Quote:
Assault rifle stolen from Hastings police squad car

By: Keith Grauman, The Hastings Star-Gazette

An AR-15 assault rifle was stolen from the Hastings Police Department’s DARE vehicle Tuesday morning while it was parked outside the home of an officer.

Around 6 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 10, a call came into the police department about gunshots coming from the ponding basin located immediately to the west of Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, near where W. 14th Street dead-ends.

The caller saw someone leaving the area carrying what looked like a backpack and a case. A witness followed the suspect, but lost sight of the suspect after he or she was seen crossing Highway 55 near Pleasant Drive.

Hastings police officers and Dakota County sheriff’s deputies combed the area, searching for the suspect, but didn’t find anyone. The Hastings police K-9 also attempted to track the person’s scent, but was unable to do so.

At about 6:50 a.m., less than an hour later, the officer who had the DARE vehicle at his house came outside to begin his workday and saw that a window on the vehicle had been shattered.

The officer, who lives in the same neighborhood in which the gunshots were reported, discovered the rifle and its case, along with his duty bag, were missing from the vehicle. A duty bag typically contains things like extra handcuffs, ammunition and raingear.

While the police officers and deputies were initially searching for the suspect, they drove by a garage with an open door in the neighborhood. In speaking with the homeowner, they discovered a car in the garage had been ransacked, but nothing was missing. Police believe the two break-ins are related.

The investigation into the stolen gun is ongoing, according to Police Chief Mike McMenomy. On Thursday afternoon, there were officers searching the wooded areas near Highway 55 and Pleasant Drive in hopes of recovering the weapon.

McMenomy said anytime a gun falls into the wrong hands it’s a concern, but an AR-15 shoots at a higher velocity than a handgun, which makes it even more dangerous.

Every Hastings police squad car is equipped with an AR-15. They’re supposed to be locked into a secure device in the squad behind the driver’s seat, but because the DARE vehicle is relatively new, about two months old, and isn’t a typical squad car design, the police department was still looking into a lock for the rifle, McMenomy said.

“The gun shouldn’t have been in the car,” he said.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, McMenomy said the police department would have taken the gun back, no questions asked, if it were returned. McMenomy said if the gun hadn’t been returned by the end of the day on Thursday Aug. 13, that offer would be off the table.

The damage to the vehicle, coupled with the stolen property, totals about $2,000. A reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person or people responsible. If you have information about the incident, you’re encouraged to call the Hastings Police Department at 480-2300.

I'm putting this in this forum because of the stupidity of the officer involved.

Maybe our LEO friends here can jump in. Every LEO I've ever met keeps their duty bag with them...much less leaving an unsecured weapon in the car.

At the very least, would it have killed him to keep it in the trunk?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AR-15 stolen from Hastings squad car
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
. . . but an AR-15 shoots at a higher velocity than a handgun, which makes it even more dangerous.

Even more dangerous?

Beyond the idiotic lapse of judgement by the officer, is there any way that some sort of firearm familiarization course could be given to aspiring journalists? Since this is not a quote, it has to be opinion by the writer. It might be beneficial to one and all if they gave "informed" opinions, such as "the AR-15 shoots at a higher velocity than a cap pistol, but lower than that of a .17 Hyper Wildcat Big-Bang Zoom".

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 am 

yeah, I remember reading about that and a LEO friend of mine was saying that he was surprised since those AR's are usually locked in place with a magnetic lock, and the release switch is somewhere near the drivers seat, like underneath the console or something...so you would almost have to know where it is in a specific vehicle in order to get it out.

Not in this case, I guess. Very surprising that it was left unsecure, along with the duty bag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

To be fair to the cop, the window was smashed and the gun stolen. If one of us legally leaves his firearm in the car, locked in a vault or not, and the car is broken into and the gun stolen, how much harassment from fellow gun owners do you want to bear, let along that from the antis.

That said, I try not to leave my firearms in my vehicles unless I have to disarm to be legal. Further, when I do, it is locked up and I don't leave it in plain view the way it probably was in the squad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

It is hard to imagine druggie scum targetting a DARE car :roll: It seems like when you are assigned a car that has a "please vandalize me" bullseye on it, a little extra care needs to be taken. In our non-LEO cars we don't have such bullseyes, unless we have a back bumper full of "Glock this" "NRA Lifer" yadda yadda stickers. Squad cars, there is an expectation of locked up firearms to be sure . . . but a DARE car? I just kinda think this situation is more like a gun owner with "gun" and "anti-hippie" stickers all over their car leaving an uncased AR laying in plain view across the back seat. I am having a hard time finding sympathy for the officer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
... I am having a hard time finding sympathy for the officer.

Oh, I'm not excusing it...just sayin' that if he's treated like the poor victim in this case where he certainly could have done more to make the weapon unavailable, then if I, forbid, ever have my secured firearm stolen from my vehicle, I want similar treatment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
...is there any way that some sort of firearm familiarization course could be given to aspiring journalists? Since this is not a quote, it has to be opinion by the writer.

No, you cut off the sentence:

article wrote:
McMenomy said anytime a gun falls into the wrong hands it’s a concern, but an AR-15 shoots at a higher velocity than a handgun, which makes it even more dangerous.

A .223 round WILL go through more walls -- and ballistic vests -- than a handgun round, in part due to its speed.

At worst, the reporter's paraphrase might have been less than clear. More likely, though, that's just what the cop said. And it's true -- a 9mm shoots at around 1100 fps, a .223 at something around 3000 fps.

Of course, it's not the whole story, but you can't expect a ballistics and physics lesson in a news article.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
To be fair to the cop, the window was smashed and the gun stolen. If one of us legally leaves his firearm in the car, locked in a vault or not, and the car is broken into and the gun stolen, how much harassment from fellow gun owners do you want to bear, let along that from the antis.

That said, I try not to leave my firearms in my vehicles unless I have to disarm to be legal. Further, when I do, it is locked up and I don't leave it in plain view the way it probably was in the squad.

This is what having a steel lock box in the trunk is for.

Smash n' Grab is likely. Crowbar-ing a trunk, not so much.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Traveler wrote:
...is there any way that some sort of firearm familiarization course could be given to aspiring journalists? Since this is not a quote, it has to be opinion by the writer.

No, you cut off the sentence:

article wrote:

A .223 round WILL go through more walls -- and ballistic vests -- than a handgun round, in part dues to its speed.

At worst, the reporter's paraphrase might have been less than clear. More likely, though, that's just what the cop said. And it's true -- a 9mm shoots at around 1100 fps, a .223 at something around 3000 fps.

Of course, it's not the whole story, but you can't expect a ballistics and physics lesson in a news article.

I stand corrected Andrew. Now that you pointed out that it was the police chief that made the statement I am slightly more forgiving. My error. I still do not see how comparisons of lethality in an article about stupidity/theft adds anything at all worthwhile.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.