Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Minneapolis Police caught on tape 
 Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Police caught on tape
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

You know, Chief Dolan orders all Minneapolis officer to watch the video and then has a pres conference.

How many officers do you suppose have not already watched it? it's been all over the news and it's about THEM. Just how ridiculous an order can he come up with? We should believe they are seeing this for the fiirst time?

Maybe they should get a day off with pay to watch, and a weekend at a resort to think about it, and then they can tell us how this was really complicated and sophisticated and dangerous police work and ho lucky we are that they do this stuff. The police union honcho should suggest that to be further helpful.

Sort of like if a permit holder had a shootout in the Twin Cities, and the video is all over the news. Wouldn't we all watch that?

It's kind of an insult to out intellegence for him to announce this crap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Finally, Walker maneuvered Jenkins into a position where he was face-down in a snowbank, his sweat pants pulled down during the struggle and his bare buttocks exposed. Walker lay on top of him, waiting for backup.

Jeez, the poor guy was only trying to resist surprise buttsecks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:56 pm 

macphisto wrote:
Quote:
Finally, Walker maneuvered Jenkins into a position where he was face-down in a snowbank, his sweat pants pulled down during the struggle and his bare buttocks exposed. Walker lay on top of him, waiting for backup.

Jeez, the poor guy was only trying to resist surprise buttsecks!

Oh man I always laugh when I see that picture.

Other text I've seen on it: "Don't make me assrape you too!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

DeanC wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:
This will be a training tape to teach these thugs to check that the Dash Cam is switched off before "sticking the boot in"

Or "The erase button and it's proper deployment."

Not to mention the apostrophe and its proper deployment.

But there's a very good reason that the law should assume that failure to provide the video from the required Dash Cam produces a mandatory assumption that the police officer is at fault and knew it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:04 pm 
Wise Elder

SethB wrote:
But there's a very good reason that the law should assume that failure to provide the video from the required Dash Cam produces a mandatory assumption that the police officer is at fault and knew it.

"Rebuttable presumption" but otherwise what a great idea for a letter writing campaign to your legislators.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Lt. Mike Sauro defending it? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Cop's Heated E-Mail Defends Officers In Beating

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ―

In an e-mail titled 'Use Of Force,' officer Mike Sauro blasts those who passed judgment on the officers' actions in the violent arrest of Derryl Jenkins.

A 35-year veteran on the Minneapolis police force is defending colleagues accused of going too far during an arrest.

But that's not all. He advocated an approach to the use of force that directly contradicts what his boss, Police Chief Tim Dolan, has said.

The video showed six officers kicking and punching Derryl Jenkins in February. Last month: The city's police chief said he's concerned about some of what he sees there. He asked the FBI to investigate and told supervisors to use the video as a learning and training tool.

That's when Lieutenant Mike Sauro sent an e-mail to his officers in the 4th precinct. The e-mail was titled "Use of Force."

In it Sauro wrote, "What I observed was a controlled use of force by a group of highly trained professional police officers."

Sauro wrote the e-mail in response to a request from Dolan to discuss use of force.

"Clearly Lt. Sauro's concern for the safety of officers was what sparked this. He is very passionate about it," said Deputy Chief Janee Harteau.

Sauro blasts those who passed judgment on the officers' actions. He says it's easy to dissect a force incident in the safety of City Hall or a newsroom.

Deputy Chief Janee Harteau says Sauro's intentions were good, but his e-mail didn't generate the conversation that the department would like to see.

"There certainly are components and his personal view were in the e-mail that are certainly not consistent with views of the MPD," said Harteau.

Sauro is a high-profile supervisor who was the subject of an excessive force civil lawsuit that cost the city of Minneapolis more than $1 million back in the early 90s.

Sauro says if he were in a situation similar to this, he would "strike the suspect with hands, feet and baton."

This is in direct contradiction to what Chief Dolan said after watching the video. He said, "the actions of the first officer on the scene here all appear to be very appropriate. Some of the actions of officers who arrived later, specifically the kicking of the suspect, give me concern. Because of this I am asking for an outside review by the FBI."

Sauro goes on to blast the FBI by saying, "How much expertise does the FBI have in use of force? My experience tells me very little."

In the e-mail, he even questions the FBI's investigation of terrorists before 9/11, asking, "How did that turn out?"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes, LT Sauro is the guy we want to be taking use of force instruction from. :shock: :evil: :bang:

This guy, even in person, is not nice. He is aggressive, confrontational, rude and arrogant. I hope never to meet him during a traffic stop or other situation. He is the anti-good, service oriented officer.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Indeed. He is a critical indicator of the institutional illness that's in the MPD. That he has a job at all is a travesty. He's been busted down from Captain years ago, and still doesn't understand that he's doing it wrong. But the union makes the city keep him. But where to put him? In Investigations? Hardly. Training? Perish the thought. Certainly not SWAT. There's just no room anywhere else for a nutcase Lt, so they keep him in Patrol.

Michael R. Sauro, Badge #6313
Police Department: Minneapolis
Employment Start: 7/1/75
Employment End:

Reports with Civilian Review Authority

CASE NUMBER ALLEGATION(S) FINDING CHIEF'S ACTION
91-0073 NO PROB CAUSE
91-0116 DISMISSED
92-0324 EXONERATED
92-0335 NO PROB CAUSE

Absolutely toothless.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Archived article on Sauro

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

And more from here:

Quote:
Lt. Mike Sauro: After midnight on January 1, 1991, Lt. Mike Sauro was working off duty in uniform, at a club for a New Year's Eve party, when he arrested and handcuffed Craig Mische, then a twenty-one-year-old student at the College of St. Thomas, during a rowdy event. Mische claims he was kicked and beaten by Sauro in the club's kitchen while his hands were cuffed behind his back. Witnessestestified that they saw Mische being hit by Sauro, while officers contended that Mische was the aggressor.23

In September 1992, federal prosecutors decided not to pursue the case, explaining, "We do not believe there's a reasonable likelihood that a jury would find [Sauro] guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."24 Local prosecutors also reportedly decided not to prosecute Sauro in relation to the alleged Mische beating. Mische filed a police misconduct civil lawsuit, and the city council decided against settling with Mische for $415,000, and instead went to trial.25 Their decision followed Sauro's campaign on television and radio news shows, defending his record and convincing the public and the council that the city would win if they went to court.26

Sauro was wrong, and his conduct and the department's indifference cost the city $700,000, the largest civil award in a police misconduct case in the city's history; with attorneys' fees the case would cost the city over $1 million.27 The jury found the city liable for "maintaining a custom of deliberate indifference to complaints about excessive force in the department."28 At the time of the civil trial, Sauro had in his nineteen-year career reportedly been the subject of thirty-two internal affairs complaints, many alleging excessive force; none were sustained, and he was promoted through the ranks.29 In the Mische case, the department reportedlydecided not conduct an internal affairs investigation at all because its findings could have had a detrimental effect on the city's attempts to defend itself in the civil trial.30

Sauro had been the defendant in an excessive force lawsuit that was settled for $350,000 in 1991. And in 1996, the city agreed to pay $300,000 to another plaintiff in relation to an alleged beating by Sauro on the same night as the Mische incident.31 In December 1996, the city settled for $25,000 with yet another plaintiff alleging excessive force used by Sauro in a September 1992 incident.32 While a sergeant, Sauro led the 1989 mistaken raid on the home of an elderly couple who were killed in a fire set off by the officers' use of a "flash bang" grenade - an incident that reinforced distrust of the police in the black community and led to the creation of the CRA.33 (See above.)

Despite the large civil jury award and two attempts to fire him, Lieutenant Sauro has successfully fought efforts to have him removed from the force. In July 1997, an appellate court upheld an arbitrator's ruling that Sauro had been fired improperly in 1995 and should be reinstated with seniority and back pay.34 Sauro's lawyers had argued that the complainant's injuries were not consistent with his testimony and that the mayor's attempt to rescind a suspension ordered by the police chief and to instead dismiss Sauro constituted double jeopardy.35 Sauro was fired a second time by Chief Olson in July 1996 after an internal investigation into another incident. Chief Olson reportedly found Sauro's conduct, "incompetent, unprofessional andinappropriate, at best. At worst it constituted criminal assault." The dismissal was subsequently reversed by an arbitrator who cited the alleged victim's inconsistencies and lack of credibility.36 Lieutenant Sauro was again reinstated with rank and back pay.37 In an interview with Human Rights Watch, Chief Olson stated that the arbitration system was perhaps the greatest barrier he faces in his efforts to hold police officers accountable for misconduct.38

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

The word I heard, years back, was that when the hit was done on Jerry Haaf, it was Sauro that was the target, and the triggerman screwed up. But that was just hearsay.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
The word I heard, years back, was that when the hit was done on Jerry Haaf, it was Sauro that was the target, and the triggerman screwed up. But that was just hearsay.

I've heard the same story. Don't know if it's true. I do know that Sauro's absence from the MPD would have saved Minneapolis taxpayers a lot of money -- he's a very expensive thumper to maintain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
In the Mische case, the department reportedly decided not conduct an internal affairs investigation at all because its findings could have had a detrimental effect on the city's attempts to defend itself in the civil trial.

WTF!? The city doesn't want to damage its reputation, so it ignores the evidence against it?

Am I the only one who sees the absurdity of this? It sounds like a chapter out of "Catch 22", or a script from Monty Python.

That people aren't demanding more accountability from these thugs is baffling to me.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

I've heard the same story. Don't know if it's true. I do know that Sauro's absence from the MPD would have saved Minneapolis taxpayers a lot of money -- he's a very expensive thumper to maintain.

ALL officers have a harder time because of Sauro, and those like him. People don't differentiate, if you or somebody you know was thumped by any cop, and of course you see none of the other 800 cops will do anything about it, yo don't give ANY cop the benefit of the doubt.

It's human nature I guess. But the cops someday will "get it" and clean up i hope. :evil:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.