Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 WTF? 
 Post subject: WTF?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I read this correctly, the officer in question has been pulling down over $60,000 in wages plus benefits and on top of that he has another job as a police officer that pays $23.93 an hour. :shock:

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=243500

Quote:
City cop still suspended, on payroll
6 years after accidental shooting of colleague

The city policeman who accidentally shot and killed fellow Officer Michael H. Wise II during a shootout six years ago is still being paid about $100,000 per year in salary and benefits by the city of Reading - even though he has been suspended since the shooting.

James A. Palange shot and killed Wise on June 4, 2004, when he mistook the plain-clothed Wise for a criminal as he pulled up to a gunbattle on Schuylkill Avenue that pitted Wise and two other officers against a man hiding behind a car, investigators said.

Six years later, Palange is still being paid $61,911 in salary plus benefits, medical insurance and pension even though he has not worked a day for the city since the shooting.

But it's not because he cannot work or does not want to.

For the past three years he has been working as one of four full-time police officers in Mohnton. He was hired there in June 2007 and is paid $23.93 an hour.

Borough officials said it is a good deal because they have a trained officer with experience and they do not have to pay his benefits because he is still covered by the city.

"He's an excellent police officer," said Shirley Stuebner, a Mohnton council member who is in charge of police and personnel.

Mohnton police Chief Richard G. Leisey Sr., a retired city policeman, said he had no problem hiring Palange when one of his officers went out with an injury.

"One of our officers knew Palange and talked him up and I decided to give him a chance," Leisey said. "I read all of the articles about the Wise shooting and figured it was just an accident. He's been doing a fantastic job."

City officials were not keen on discussing why they continue to pay Palange, particularly at a time when the city is on the verge of bankruptcy and cutting the size of the force.

Reading police Chief William M. Heim said it was a personnel matter and issued a written statement only after consulting with city attorneys and other officials.

"The issue with Officer Palange is an open personnel matter among the city, the officer and the Fraternal Order of Police," Heim wrote.

He wrote that the issue is complicated by the union contract and civil and criminal cases that followed the shooting.

"The city and the FOP are still making efforts to settle this matter, even as discussions about an arbitration hearing continue," he wrote.

Reading Mayor Tom McMahon and city police union officials were unavailable for comment.

Palange said he is happy in Mohnton but would like to be working in the city, where he started his career. He was a six-year veteran with the city police when he shot Wise.

"My wife and I shake our heads every day as why there is no resolution (with his status with the city police)," Palange said. "I'm as baffled as you. I've been in limbo for years."

Palange, 36, said he cannot understand why the city did not settle the matter of his employment sooner, but he said the story should not be about him.

"I just think of the Wise family," Palange said. "It's a horrible thing. It's not about me. It's the Wise family and their loss and that's something I think about every day."

Wise's widow, Denise, was unavailable for comment.

Post subject: Re: WTF?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:53 pm 
The Man

Yup. Classic double dip.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.