Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Responding to an emergency is one thing.... 
 Post subject: Responding to an emergency is one thing....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:58 pm 

Responding to an emergency is one thing, but this seems to be (and undeniably is) quite another....

http://www.twincities.com/ci_8504637

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:11 am 
Longtime Regular

For the record:

Quote:
Md. police officers ignore speed cameras
The Associated Press

Article Last Updated: 03/08/2008 03:34:21 PM CST

ROCKVILLE, Md.—No matter what the cameras say, some drivers are refusing to pay dozens of $40 speeding fines. Who? Police officers.

In the last eight months of 2007, Montgomery County's new speed cameras recorded 224 cases in which police vehicles were recorded traveling more than 10 mph over the speed limit, according to department records.

Supervisors dismissed 76 of those citations after determining the officers were responding to calls or had valid reasons to break the speed limit.

But that left 148 who didn't have that excuse, and about two-thirds of those citations haven't been paid, said police Lt. Paul Starks.

The police union says officers shouldn't pay because the citations are issued to the owner of a vehicle, in this case the county, and not to the driver.

Police Chief Thomas Manger doesn't buy that argument.

"We are not above the law," Manger said. "It is imperative that the police department hold itself to the same standards that we're holding the public to."

Manger said officers who continue to ignore citations might be disciplined.

If "disciplined" means fired, hurrah! Not because speeding is all that offensive, but because an I'm-above-the-law attitude is unacceptable in police officers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
"We are not above the law," Manger said. "It is imperative that the police department hold itself to the same standards that we're holding the public to."

In the spirit of things, I'd say this police chief should get a well-deserved pat on the back for this sentiment.

The officers using the argument (or the leader of the officers union with the audacity to make such a statement) "I shouldn't pay the ticket because it's not my car" should be punished just like any one of us mere "civilians", and to the fullest extent of the laws that we're paying them to enforce.

I wonder how much fallout and blowback Chief Manger will face for his audacity in suggesting that his officers live by the laws they expect us to abide by...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would not pay them. What happened to the right to question your accuser in court? May Kimberman or another attorney could chime in here but I thought I had the right to question my accuser. How do you question a camera?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

The problem I'm seeing is that:

#1 - The police fought so hard in favor of these cameras when they came out, using the old chestnuts "If you aren't breaking any laws, you don't have to worry", and "You shouldn't be speeding, that's how accidents occur. This will save lives", and now they've been hoisted by their own petards.
#2 - Above all else, why should they (the police) be special? If they want to set an example, they should live by the same laws they're imposing upon the rest of us, even if it's an extremely bitter pill. If they can't handle that particular fact, maybe they've chosen the wrong line of work.

The "I don't enforce the law, I AM the law" attitude that some of them have (and especially the speeders in this case) has got to go if they want to garner any kind of respect for <strike>the badge</strike> their badge from me (and others, I'm sure).

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.