Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Since when is reporting news "interference" with L 
 Post subject: Since when is reporting news "interference" with L
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080313/D8VCH57G0.html

Quote:
Sheriff Threatens Reporters With Jail
Mar 13, 7:37 AM (ET)

By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN
SAN DIEGO, Texas (AP) - When the Duval County sheriff said he would lock up reporters from local newspapers if they kept "interfering" in his business, no one took the threat lightly.

For 20 years, Sheriff Santiago Barrera Jr. had done what he pleased with no challenges to his reign. He decided who sat in his jail and when they were released. Sometimes it was before a judge got involved and other times it was after.

"I brought the sheriff's department from nothing to what it is right now," said the 67-year-old Barrera.

That's why journalists are on edge about Barrera's recent threat to an Alice Echo-News Journal reporter.

Christopher Maher wrote a front-page story about the arrest of the sheriff's 42-year-old son Miguel Barrera on charges of public intoxication and resisting arrest. According to the newspaper, when Maher called the sheriff about another story, Barrera said, "If you guys keep interfering with my business, I'm going to have you arrested."

Nicole Perez, managing editor of the Echo-News Journal and The Freer Press alerted the county attorney.

"I am bringing these remarks to your attention in the hope that they will remain as such, just remarks," Perez wrote Duval County Attorney Ricardo Carrillo. "However, considering the volatile political atmosphere in Duval County I have no doubt that Sheriff Barrera would carry out such a threat."

Santiago Barrera confirmed he made the remarks to the reporter, and acknowledged the newspaper's story about his son's arrest upset him.

"To me that was bad," Barrera told The Associated Press this week. "Of course, what can you do to them?"

The sheriff is accustomed to things being done his way in a part of South Texas where elected officials don't easily fade into the woodwork.

One of the sheriff's predecessors, George Parr, is widely believed to have been behind the legendary stuffed ballot box in neighboring Jim Wells County that swung a tight U.S. Senate race to Lyndon Johnson in 1948.

Even the sheriff's threat to local reporters was mild compared with the actions of a Jim Wells deputy sheriff in 1949, who shot and killed radio reporter W.H. "Bill" Mason.

Barrera's tough tactics extended to politics. The sheriff arranged the demotion of the commander of a tri-county drug task force to patrol officer in December after the commander, Romeo Ramirez, announced his primary campaign against Santiago Barrera for sheriff in the county of about 12,000 people.

Ramirez won last Tuesday's primary, but Santiago Barrera has made allegations about irregularities with mail-in ballots. So far, only one incorrectly addressed ballot has been brought to the district attorney.

Asked how Barrera had managed to stay in office for 20 years, the county attorney cited the lawman's friendliness and charisma.

"He's a great politician and a terrible sheriff," Carrillo said.

So is this flat out corruption? Nepotism?

Also troubling is what seems to be his decison to selectively detain and jail people. I would be curious to know what their "offenses" were.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject: Re: Since when is reporting news "interference" wi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:19 pm 

Binky .357 wrote:
...Asked how Barrera had managed to stay in office for 20 years, the county attorney cited the lawman's friendliness and charisma.
???!!!??? :bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 am 
Longtime Regular

It did change. Not sure when..

Quote:
387.01 QUALIFICATIONS; BOND; OATH.
Every person who files as a candidate for county Previous match sheriff Next match must be licensed as a peace officer
in this state. Every person appointed to the office of Previous match sheriff Next match must become licensed as a peace
officer before entering upon the duties of the office. Before entering upon duties every Previous match sheriff Next match
shall give bond to the state in a sum not less than $25,000 in counties whose population exceeds
150,000, and not less than $5,000 in all other counties, to be approved by the county board,
conditioned that the Previous match sheriff Next match will well and faithfully in all things perform and execute the duties of
office, without fraud, deceit, or oppression, which bond, with an oath of office, shall be recorded
with the county recorder.

Last edited by farmerj on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 am 

farmerj:
I believe that the law changed in '01 -'02 to say that you must be POST, or eligible to be POST certified within X number of days to be elected to Sheriff.
I had been accepted to POST classes back in '93 but was offered a good job and declined finishing the program. A good friend of mine who was an elected Sheriff told me I could still run for his office if I was interested. Now, that has changed. And besides, at 40, I don't think I want to run for the Sheriff position anymore. Their boss on County Board maybe, State Rep more than likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
Show me where the position is a law enforcement position.

It's a political office. You don't need to be post certified in MN to be Sheriff. Anyone could run for the office.

In truth, I think any law enforcement positions, be it the Sheriff, meter maid, patrol officer, CSO or Conservation Officer, investigator--- they should all be "elected" positions, or at least be under a more binding public scrutiny.

Not a civilian review board, not Internal Investigations, none of the "clubs" inhabitted by "special people" or the people so easily co-opted by the boys in blue. That seems to be one of the only ways of assuring some form of oversight.

Sadly, as this article states, the Sheriff in question is apparently a brilliant politician, but a piss-poor leader of a law enforcement agency.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.