Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Video Of Woman Pushed Down Stairs Prompts Calls For Charges 
 Post subject: Video Of Woman Pushed Down Stairs Prompts Calls For Charges
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Let's see now, if I were not an <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY target=new>Only One</a> (coin termed by David Codrea with the inestimable help of DEA Agent Lee Paige) how much time would I get for pushing someone down a flight of stairs and then filing a false police report about it?

http://www.local6.com/news/15757468/detail.html?rss=orlpn&psp=news

Quote:
Video Of Woman Pushed Down Stairs Prompts Calls For Charges Against Officer

Video showing a woman being pushed down some stairs by a police officer that led to a battery charge against the woman has prompted calls for charges against the officer.

Local 6 showed video of Officer Fernando Trinidad, who was working off-duty last April.

Trinidad was caught on tape pushing Jessica Asprilla, 27, down some steps at the now-defunct Club Paris in downtown Orlando.

"He was rushing me out of the club," Asprilla said. "I was going down the stairs and the next thing I knew, he pushed me and I was on the floor."

Asprilla was charged with battery on the officer after she was pushed, Local 6 reported.

Asprilla admitted to giving Trinidad some "lip" at the club but that's it, Local 6's Tony Pipitone reported.

"But he swore you spat twice in his face," Pipitone said.

"I didn't spit in his face," Asprilla said.

"And if he swears to that under oath?" Pipitone asked.

"Then, that would be a lie," she said.

Trinidad did swear to it and also swore that Asprilla "lost her footing" when he tried to grab her.

Local 6 showed the video of the incident and it showed the woman being shoved down the stairs.

As for the alleged spitting, when asked why Trinidad did not wipe any spit off, he told an internal investigator, "I've had worse than saliva in my face."

Aspirlla said she lost her job over the arrest and her place in graduate school. She said it also shattered her dreams for a career in social work, where background checks would reveal the arrest.

"And they'll see battery on a law enforcement officer?" Pipitone asked.

"Yes," Asprilla said.

"What do you see?" Pipitone asked.

"I see I was battered by a law enforcement officer," she said.

Asprilla said she owes thousands of dollars in medical bills from her ankle injury in connection with the incident.

However, she most feared Trinidad's sworn testimony the would have put her in prison for years.

"I didn't know how I would be able to prove my innocence," Asprilla said. "Everyone always believes the word of a police officer."

Asprilla's attorney then learned of the video.

"Had you not had the video?" Pipitone asked.

"Then, I would have probably gone to jail for battery on the police officer," Asprilla said.

When prosecutors saw the tape, they dropped the charges, Local 6 reported.

Now, Asprilla's attorney wants Trinidad prosecuted for battery and perjury, Pipitone said.

"It's unbelievable," attorney Adam Sudbury said. "It's a police officer just taking out a private citizen at a club."

"You see a crime on that tape?" Pipitone asked.

"Absolutely," Sudbury said.

An Orlando police investigation found Trinidad did push the woman, causing her ankle injury -- though they could not say it was intentional.

Also, investigators said Trinidad entered "inaccurate, false or improper information" in his report.

But in January, Orlando Police Chief Val Demings issued only an eight-hour suspension for Trinidad's conduct. [emphasis added]

Trinidad refused requests for comment concerning the incident.

He continues to patrol Orlando streets.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am 

My dad and his brothers grew up in the Mound/Wayzata area and used to joke about:

"How many Minneapolis cops does it take to throw a guy down the stairs?"

"None, he tripped"

Apparently it was common knowledge that if you were taken downtown after a night of partying you could plan on 'tripping' down a flight of stairs.

I'm glad I grew up in Northern MN where all Law Enforcement are of fine upstanding character :roll:

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:
I'm glad I grew up in Northern MN where all Law Enforcement are of fine upstanding character :roll:

No, the economy was just never strong enough to fund the building of anything more than a one story police station. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:40 pm 

I heard the MPD elevator was much more prone to accidents then the stairway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 pm 
Wise Elder

What, no civil suit against him and the department?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.