Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Superior Traffic control? 
 Post subject: Superior Traffic control?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 pm 

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
11/8/2012
The police officer, despite trying to destroy the victim's reputation, was found guilty. The newspapers improperly dragged the victim's name through the mud.

Because I have no wish to contribute to the victimization, I have replaced the victim's name with initials, so that web searches on his name don't continue to dredge up this character assassination.

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

A 12-year Superior police officer has been charged with second-degree assault for allegedly pulling a gun and pointing it at a motorist in the parking lot of a Two Harbors service station in an apparent road rage incident on Sunday.

Ross W. Magnuson, 45, of Knife River also was charged Friday with making terroristic threats, recklessly handling a dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct. The first two crimes are felonies. The other two are misdemeanors.

According to the criminal complaint:

Ross Magnuson
RELATED CONTENT
Mark Stodghill Archive
Motorist P.H. told Two Harbors Police Officer Nathan Gens that he and his girlfriend and her son were driving to Gooseberry Falls on Sunday afternoon on Highway 61 when they passed a vehicle with a man driving. P.H. said that the driver “flipped him off’’ as they passed.

P.H. said they drove to a Holiday station in Two Harbors and were waiting for their turn at the gas pumps. He said that the vehicle they had passed pulled in next to his. The driver got out and stuck his head in P.H.’s open moon roof and began yelling at him.

P.H. said he told the driver to step back and that he was going to close the window. The other driver came around the front of the car. P.H. said he got out of his car and approached the driver, who then pulled a gun and pointed it at him.

P.H. said he was scared and he attempted to calm the other driver down and apologized for making him mad. He provided a license plate number that eventually led police to Magnuson.

In a follow-up interview, P.H. told the Two Harbors police officer that Magnuson had been intimidating and alarming and used a hostile tone. He said his body language, his red complexion and the words he used were inappropriate and unacceptable with or without a child present.

P.H. said that Magnuson, who was off duty and not wearing a police uniform, drew the weapon from a holster on his right hip and pointed it at his chest. He said Magnuson gritted his teeth and moved in his direction with his gun drawn, saying something like, “Do you want to go?’’

He said he asked Magnuson to put the gun away and calm down. He said he placed a “friendly warning hand on Magnuson’s chest and assured him that whatever set him off was unintentional, hoping that he would just leave.” He said Magnuson holstered his firearm, which appeared to be silver with black trim or dual tone with black and silver, but continued to argue.

P.H. was able to pick Magnuson’s photo from a lineup of six men.

Police executed a search warrant at Magnuson’s home on Friday. Magnuson opened his gun safe and provided a silver and black Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol.

Magnuson told officers that he had been driving on Highway 61 that day when he was approached by a car driving erratically. He admitted stopping at the Two Harbors Holiday station where the car was parked. He said he approached the car and spoke with the driver about his driving conduct. He said the other driver got out of his car and approached him. Magnuson said he felt threatened and “broke leather’’ on his firearm.

Superior Police Chief Floyd Peters said it was fair to say that he was shocked by the allegations when notified of the charges Friday afternoon. “He’s been a very well respected officer in our department and in the community,’’ Peters said.

The chief then read from a prepared statement. “It is the position of the Superior Police Department that it would be inappropriate to comment on or in any way interfere with this investigation at this time,’’ he said. “The Superior Police Department will conduct its own internal investigation into this matter only after the criminal investigation is complete. Officer Magnuson will be placed on administrative leave pending these investigations.’’

Magnuson appeared in court Friday afternoon in handcuffs. He told the court that he is married and has two children, 9 and 12 years old.

Because of a scheduling conflict, Magnuson was arraigned in St. Louis County District Court in Duluth instead of in Lake County District Court in Two Harbors where the crime is alleged to have occurred.

Retired Judge John T. Oswald, who occasionally fills in for other judges in the 6th Judicial District, set bail at $4,000 and referred the defendant to a probation officer to be considered for supervised release. Neither the Lake County Jail nor Two Harbors police would say if Magnuson was being held in the Lake County Jail after the arraignment.

A phone message left at Magnuson’s home Friday evening was not immediately returned

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articl ... c6423e1d1e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Mix in a large bucket, a five gallon paint bucket is ideal:

* hydrated lime, about 12 cups
* 1 pound of salt, about 4 cups
* 2 gallons of water

When you mix this together, mix a little lime/salt, then a little water, then a little lime, etc. It you just dump it all together it's like stirring a boat anchor. You should let the mixture sit over night.

Give it a stir once in a while as you use it.

Just get a big brush and slop it on. Don't worry about getting it on your clothes, it washes out very easily. It may seem like it's not covering very well as you paint it on, especially on new pine 2x4s, but it will whiten up considerably when it's completely dry, be patient.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Last edited by chunkstyle on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

:?:

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I think Chunkstyle is trying to comment on the very different slant of the story if you or I were in the officer's shoes.

His story sounds contrived!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

e5usmc wrote:

Whitewash, my boy, whitewash.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Where in the Police handbook does it say, "never admit fault, never admit to making a wrong decision, always put a positive spin on an officer's f*ck ups."?

The cop is in handcuffs, and yet the worst they can say is "he has been put on administrative leave."

Well no shit sherlock, its tough to pull your weapon on passing motorists when you are in handcuffs. So I guess he's out of work currently...

Post subject: Re: Superior Traffic control?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Some Reporter Dude wrote:
Police executed a search warrant at Magnuson’s home on Friday. Magnuson opened his gun safe and provided a silver and black Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Search warrant is hard to refuse

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:34 pm 

anybody know if the Two Harbors Holiday has video cameras on the pump area? could be some interesting viewing!!!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject: Superior Traffic Control
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 pm 

I have a friend in Superior (not LEO) who knows this officer personally and told me he is really a mild mannered guy. He said it will be interesting to see what the truth is because the RP's story really seems coached, as in coached by an attorney.

I am a bit skeptical of the story since most of it seems to paint the officer in a negative light and treats P.H. as an innocent victim - I don't think that's the whole truth. It seems people like to jump on LEOs when stories like this come out, especially in light of the Treptow case, but maybe we should wait before we pass judgment?

I looked up the RP, P.H., on the WI CCAP site (http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch) and he has a small record in Douglas county, including a disorderly in '99, and three speeding tickets in '03 (30-34 over), '06 (11-15 over), and '07 (1-10 over). I wonder how fast he was really going...

Not that speeding would justify having a gun drawn on him, and yeah the officer should not have stopped and confronted him (if this is really the case), but there may be an entirely different (truth) side to the story, i.e. how was he really driving, who advanced on whom, etc..

I had a similar thought about cameras at the Holiday station - it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's interesting that both sides are telling essentially the same story.

The difference is on whether the motorist threatened the officer or made any moves that would have justified him feeling threatened.

Basically the "reasonable person" part of the rule is very much undetermined at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Color me (pleasantly) surprised: whitewash does <I>not</i> appear to be being applied here:

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/27496509.html

Quote:
Superior Police Officer Charged

An officer with the Superior Police Department is facing several charges including Second Degree Assault for allegedly pulling a gun on a man at a Two Harbors gas station.

The Complaint says 45-year-old Ross Magnuson threatened and pointed his gun at P.H.

On Friday Magnuson was charged with making terroristic threats, disorderly conduct and recklessly handling a dangerous weapon.
It was an uncommon event in the Northland.

"People don't always pull guns on each other here in Lake County," said Lake County Attorney Russ Conrow.

He says this incident was surprising.

The Two Harbors Police Department investigated, and arrested Magnuson on Friday.

In the complaint, P.H. said Magnuson flipped him off while they were driving on Highway 61.

Once in Two Harbors, they stopped at a gas station, when the off-duty officer got out of his vehicle and stuck his head in P.H.'s open moon roof as he yelled at him.

P.H. says he told Magnuson he would close the window.

Magnuson came around the front of P.H.'s car where P.H. stepped out of the car to talk with him.

That's when the twelve-year veteran police officer is reported to have pulled out a gun and pointed it at P.H.

P.H. says he and Magnuson's wife, tried to calm Magnuson down.

As Lake County authorities investigate the incident the Superior Police Department is conducting its own internal probe.

They refused to comment on the on-going investigation.

Magnuson has been put on administrative leave from the Superior Police Department for the time being.

Lake County Attorney Conrow says Magnuson's next court appearance was scheduled for September second, but it may be post-poned.

We talked to Magnuson today.

When asked if he knew P.H. before the incident, he hesitated, then said his attorney has advised him not to speak about the situation until he is able to tell his full story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Update:
Quote:
Lawyer for Superior cop: Driver fabricated road-rage story
By Mark Stodghill
Duluth News Tribune
Updated: 01/28/2009 08:18:06 AM CST

TWO HARBORS, Minn. — P.H. overcame some juvenile delinquency problems to go on to graduate with honors from the University of Michigan. He currently runs two businesses in Superior.

Minneapolis defense attorney Peter Wold suggested to jurors Tuesday that P.H. is clever and devious enough to try to frame Superior police Officer Russ Magnuson.

P.H., 27, took the stand Tuesday in Lake County District Court, testifying that Magnuson, while off-duty, pulled a gun on him in the parking lot of a Two Harbors convenience store in August.

"At first the gun was directly pointed at my face," P.H. said of the incident he contends began when Magnuson made an obscene gesture as P.H. passed him in his 2002 black BMW 745 on Highway 61.

"This incident happened so fast ... The best I can say is I had one hand on his chest, one hand on his shoulder and I'm not clear about what point he lowered his weapon or holstered his weapon."

Magnuson, 46, of Knife River, a 12-year Superior police officer, is charged with second-degree assault and making terroristic threats — both felonies — as well as recklessly handling a dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct.

The incident is not the first time the two have come in contact with each other in a law enforcement setting. In an amazing coincidence, Magnuson arrested P.H. as a juvenile in Superior about 10 years ago. Yet neither man recognized the other during the Two Harbors incident.

Wold invoked that previous encounter in his attempt to destroy P.H.'s credibility, calling him a "punk from the past," that Magnuson and other Superior police officers had to deal with years ago. He called P.H. "manipulating, calculating and a predatory liar" and his version of events "pure fiction."

The defense attorney said P.H. saw Magnuson make note of his license plate in the Holiday Store West parking lot and feared the officer could cause him trouble because of his reckless driving behavior that day. So P.H. called 911 with his own story, Wold suggested.

Lake County Attorney Russ Conrow told jurors in Judge Kenneth Sandvik's courtroom that the incident transpired in about three minutes. He said the version of events presented by Holberg and his girlfriend, who was a passenger in the BMW, along with her 4-year-old son, warranted Magnuson being convicted of the crimes he is charged with.

P.H. said he called 911 because he feared Magnuson would trump up something against him. P.H. had a difficult time relating a consistent version of what transpired when he said Magnuson drew a gun. Wold also pointed out to jurors inconsistencies in statements the alleged victim gave to Two Harbors police.

P.H. testified that when the case received media attention, he became worried about his standing in the community. The attention also affected his willingness to talk about it, he said. He was scared, he said, and tried "the best I could to be as honest as I could" in his statements to police.

Testimony continues today.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 am 

If the cop had to "break leather", he should have been on the phone to 911 immediately. The fact that he didn't report it is suspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

It's suspect in that either he did it and did not report it because he thought he was in the wrong, or that he didn't do it at all.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.