Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Officers Recount Dramatic Rescue From Car Fire 
 Post subject: Officers Recount Dramatic Rescue From Car Fire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:04 pm 

I don't know if this section of the forum is real, but here's something I came across:

http://wcco.com/local/car.fire.rescue.2.663470.html

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ― A potentially deadly car crash turns into a dramatic rescue thanks to the heroic efforts of two Minneapolis police officers.

Four young men were in a car around 6:15 p.m. Monday when it crashed at the corner of 49th and Bryant Avenue North. Officers fought through smoke and flames to free the driver.

"It was say without a doubt the most intense situation I've been in yet," said Minneapolis Police Officer Chris Garbisch. "We saw a couple heads pop up on the passenger side of the Impala and they said there's somebody trapped in here."

"His legs, probably from the knees down, were pinned against, the drivers seat had been thrown forward so it pinned his legs against the steering column," said Minneapolis Police Officer Anthony Leone. He used his pocket knife to cut the air bag.

"I went in the back seat and had a grip around his waist and we tried to get him out of the passenger side," said Garbisch.

"It was a race against the clock just to get in there and get him out. I heard him struggling to breathe inside there. He was unconscious," said Leone.

Meantime, the conditions inside the car worsened.

"There was a lot of black smoke. I remember looking up and seeing flames at the windshield," said Leone.

"The flames were starting to come in through the dash. Obviously flames coming out of the hood and the front of the car. It was pretty nerve-racking," said Garbisch.

Finally, their determination got the result they were hoping for.

"I pulled again really hard and all of a sudden he started sliding and all I remember yelling is 'I got him, get out,'" said Leone.

"I ran around and helped Tony and we finally got him out the door and carried him across the street," said Garbisch.

On Tuesday, the officers got another look at the car, and lingering reminders of the challenging rescue stick with them.

"My throat is quite scratchy today. It almost feels like I swallowed razor blades today," said Leone

Leone and Garbisch were both treated for smoke inhalation.

According to the victims family members, the 19-year-old driver is still in the hospital. He is doing well while the other young men in the car were treated and released.

Post subject: Re: Officers Recount Dramatic Rescue From Car Fire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 am 
The Man

Fubar wrote:
I don't know if this section of the forum is real
I guess my humor -- the moderators and all -- is confusing. I'll fix it.

Short form: it's real.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.