Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 St. Louis Park Cops rescue kids 
 Post subject: St. Louis Park Cops rescue kids
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

From KARE 11

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... yid=501711

Quote:
Two St. Louis Park police officers help save children from burning home

Billowing smoke, growing flames and children trapped inside. St. Louis Park Police Officers Bryan Kruelle and Eric Winckler knew immediately this fire was different.

"I think that's one of the worst calls you can have, 'a child is in danger,'" Kruelle said.

Kruelle first pulled up to the fire and quickly learned children were still inside the burning home.

"There wasn't much going through my mind at that point other than there's kids in the house," Kruelle said.

With no time to wait for firefighters to arrive, the officer pushed open the door and peered through the black smoke -- seeing finally a young child.

"[He] came stumbling out of the door and collapsed in the entryway," Kruelle said.

Kruelle scooped him up into his arms -- just as Officer Winckler arrived.

"I saw Officer Kruelle at the front door, I saw a child in his arms," Winckler said.

With his colleague caring for the child, Officer Winckler searched for any others.

"I crawled to the ground and looked with my flashlight, unfortunately I couldn't see anyone -- the smoke was just too thick," Winckler said.

But just as the officers faced down the wall of smoke, reenforcements arrived. Firefighters were able to find the remaining children and woman in the home. The family was brought to safety by people who, of course, say they're just doing their jobs.

"I don't think I did anything different than any other officer would've done," Kruelle said.

"Any of us officers would do the same thing in the same situation," Winckler said.

Investigators believe the fire started on the kitchen stove.

Meantime, the five children in the home range in age from one to seven years old. The woman who was also pulled to safety by firefighters is believed to be the mother of only some of the five children in the home. The Hennepin County Medical Center spokesman said one boy remains in critical condition, another boy and mother are in satisfactory condition.

By Karla Hult, KARE 11 News

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:14 am 
Longtime Regular

There's a word for officers like that: Heroes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:28 am 
The Man

As many of you know, I've long been rather impressed with and fond of SLPPD; good bunch of folks, and the retired guys who were in positions to hire tend to point to and talk with pride about the guys that they hired.

Quote:
"I don't think I did anything different than any other officer would've done," Kruelle said.

"Any of us officers would do the same thing in the same situation," Winckler said.

I know I've met both of them, briefly, at one point; the names were already familiar to me. Couldn't tell you any more about them; I don't know if they're young guys or older ones.

Right about now, there's at least one SLPPD Chief or Deputy Chief -- serving and/or retired -- sitting down to a morning cup of coffee and thinking that, some months or years ago, with a lot of candidates to choose from, he made a good call.

Again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:46 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
As many of you know, I've long been rather impressed with and fond of SLPPD; good bunch of folks, and the retired guys who were in positions to hire tend to point to and talk with pride about the guys that they hired.

As a homeowner in St Louis Park(with a lead foot), I've had opportunities to interact with St Louis Park cops on a fairly regular basis, from multiple angles. I've never had a complaint against them. As far as I've been able to tell, SLPPD has good cops, from the ground up, sworn or not.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:43 pm 

I agree that the officers involved in the rescue are heros. The thick black smoke from these fires are nothing like you see on TV or in the movies, it's real nasty stuff.

I also feel sympathy today for the police officers, fire fighters, and dispatchers that were involved with the house fire in SLP today that involved a fatality. While society expects these folks to maintain a even emotional state regardless of the situation, and for the most part they do, I know a small part of everyone involved wishes there was something more they could have done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.