Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 First Letter to a representative, any suggestions? 
 Post subject: First Letter to a representative, any suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:22 pm 

I think it is too long....please give me some feedback.

Rep. Kath,

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to HF953 which is to be voted on in the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee March 6th, 2009. The parts of the bill that I have the biggest problem with are the de facto registration system by requiring records of all transfers to be maintained by the state, and the removal of the Permit to Purchase exemption applied to Carry Permit holders. Permit holders area already subject to a rigorous background check upon applying for their permit. Requiring them to apply for a Permit to Purchase as well would only place a bigger burden on the Law Enforcement agencies, requiring them to devote more manpower to office work, thus taking away from their ability to put officers on the streets. As a whole, HF 953 will only affect law-abiding gun owners, and in no way keeps guns out of the hands of criminals. I believe that instead of new legislation, we need better enforcement of existing laws. Please do your part to protect Minnesota's gun rights by voting to defeat this bill. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my point of view.

Your Constituent,
Matt Anderson

Post subject: Re: First Letter to a representative, any suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

SoMN40S&W wrote:
I think it is too long....please give me some feedback.

Rep. Kath,

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to HF953 which is to be voted on in the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee March 6th, 2009. The parts of the bill that I have the biggest problem with are the de facto registration system by requiring records of all transfers to be maintained by the state, and the removal of the Permit to Purchase exemption applied to Carry Permit holders. Permit holders area already subject to a rigorous background check upon applying for their permit. Requiring them to apply for a Permit to Purchase as well would only place a bigger burden on the Law Enforcement agencies, requiring them to devote more manpower to office work, thus taking away from their ability to put officers on the streets. As a whole, HF 953 will only affect law-abiding gun owners, and in no way keeps guns out of the hands of criminals. I believe that instead of new legislation, we need better enforcement of existing laws. Please do your part to protect Minnesota's gun rights by voting to defeat this bill. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my point of view.

Your Constituent,
Matt Anderson

Paragraphs, I know they don't show up on the boards too well, but remember to fix that. Also, I'd ditch the "Your Constituent" Rep. Kath doesn't own you. I'd try something along the lines of:

Quote:
-Matt Anderson, Yourtown MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most of the time your representative isn't going to actually read it. It's likely to be cataloged by a staffer and become a statistic.

So in general, make your point and position pretty clear up front to make sure it gets counted in the right column.

After that by all means make your case on the off chance that your legislator actually takes the time to read it....and some do. Usually the newer ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Most of the time your representative isn't going to actually read it. It's likely to be cataloged by a staffer and become a statistic.

I usually get personally written responses back when I contact them. Most are greatful to here from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Try starting with this, then add any details you wish:

Quote:
Rep. Kath,

I urge you to oppose Rep. Paymar's HF953, which is sheduledt obe introduced in the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee on March 6th.

The bill creates a de facto, back-door registration of all handguns while doing nothing to prevent crime.

At the bottom, put your name, address, telephone and email.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.