Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 My first FTF with my XD9 SC... 
 Post subject: My first FTF with my XD9 SC...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:41 pm 

Hi everyone -

Background: I'm pretty new to handling and carrying a handgun - I lived half my life in the UK, in which I had experience using the SA80 and .22 rifles. I purchased my first handgun less than a year ago, and obtained my MN carry permit four months ago. My carry gun is an XD9 SC, chosen mainly for reliability and capacity.

Situation: I have owned my XD about as long as I have had my carry permit, and have at least 1000 rounds through it. I have put pretty much everything I can find through it (Winchester white box, S+B, RWS, Winchester white box JHP, Federal, Blazer), without having a single FTF. More recently, I have been using Wolf ammunition - it's cheap, and if I am going to the range, I want to get a lot of time in. I heard it's dirty, but I figured if I clean my firearm after each time I use it, what's the harm, right? However, a couple of days ago, I had my first FTF. Click; nothing. Wait 10 seconds with firearm pointed downrange; nothing. Ejected on fourth or fifth try, but that was probably mostly due to me racking the slide a little more gently. Anyway, I get the round out, and I don't know what to do with it - it looks nothing like any FTF I have before - it fed OK - it just didn't fire. And I am pretty sure it didn't look like this before I loaded it into the magazine - I put everything into plastic Plano boxes before I got the the range, which means I look at each round at least twice before firing it. I took a couple of pictures of the round along with an unfired round, so you can see what I mean.

In the end I asked the person in the lane next to mine (incidentally - it seems the nicest and most helpful people you will ever meet are at the range); and he mentioned something about the primer (sorry, ear defenders), and said I could just throw it in the cartridge bucket.

So - the question I have is: What happened, and what should I do in the future if this happens again? If this is a total noob thing, sorry!

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My first FTF with my XD9 SC...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm 

My cougar .40 fed and fired everything I tried without a failure to feed or eject until I tried some wolf ammo. I tried several different magazines all with the same result. Rack the slide, fires first round, won't feed the next. The box of wolf is sitting in the closet on a shelf out of sight never to see the light of day as far as I am concerned. So it could just be your gun doesn't like wolf. Other folks have had trouble with different brands in their guns, so it is not unusual

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My first FTF with my XD9 SC...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm 

Yeah - Wolf/WPA isn't the best by far, but it's by far the cheapest, and only one FTF in the maybe 500 I've fired isn't too bad - that is, if it was just a dud. I was just wondering what happened with this specific round, and was it dangerous - could it have fired a few seconds after the 'click', or even after I had manually ejected it? If that's the case, then I definitely won't be purchasing any more.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.