Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hello from Faribault 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm 

cobb wrote:
Welcome.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you will come down to watch the IDPA shoot. You will then be sorry you didn't bring your gear to shoot and will have to try to borrow some gear to shoot.

Just bring your stuff, there will be more than enough shooters that will be more than happy to help you.

I'm just a wee bit timid in such situations, but I'm sure I'll warm up quick when the gunfire starts. :wink: Is there a way to familiarize myself with the process before I get in front of all you smart guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm 
1911 tainted

Harland wrote:
I'm just a wee bit timid in such situations, .....

Then just get put on my squad, everyone either picks on my technique, because I over think, or they just plain makes fun of my shooting and that make everyone look good. :lol:

We all have fun, you should bring your gear and check it out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:

Quote:
Is there a way to familiarize myself with the process before I get in front of all you smart guys?

Some guys are smart. Most think they are smart. Some know they are not smart enough. (Replace "smart" with "good shots")

Some ranges offer (require) a new shooter orientation class. I would highly recommend taking one. Pine Island IPSC just had a class for their new shooters. FR&PC does not require taking such a class. It would really be nice if FR&PC would, but we don't have enough (1) volenteers to do such a class. Taking Don L's holster class would work too.

You should be familar with drawing from a holster and moving with a gun.

Go to
http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
for the rule book.

Read it. Re-read the safety rules several times. Understand them. The rest of the rules you can learn as time goes on. We do require all the safety rules to be followed. If you can't, you will be asked to leave. You will find most experienced shooters are more than willing to help a new shooter learn the ropes.

We all started as new shooters at one time. We all remember the how helpful the experienced shooters were to help us learn the sport as long as we learned to be safe first and then work on being faster.

IDPA in Faribault starts next week, May 20. IPSC starts on Tuesday, May 19.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:42 am 

westhope wrote:

Ahh ... That's just what I'm looking for! Thanks for that and thank you everyone else for the encouragement. After I get familiarized with the framework stuff (and find some ammo,) I think I'll be ready to give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just come out Wednesday night for our first IDPA match of the year. After reading the rule book, you will see how it works. We can then start from there getting you started.

I'm there setting up the IDPA BUG match by 4:00. We try to start shooting about 5:00. Done by 8:00.

Look for the fat, old white guy with glasses and a baseball cap, shooting a 1911. That's me (or most of the other guys but some may shoot Glocks). You could look for Pat Cannon, that avatar is what he looks like. Many of us aren't that handsome.

Or ask for (name sent by PM).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:24 pm 
1911 tainted

westhope wrote:
Look for the fat, old white guy with glasses and a baseball cap, shooting a 1911.

Gee, like that really narrows it down. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cobb wrote:

Quote:
Gee, like that really narrows it down.

Sorry, I forgot bald and a bad shot too. That leaves you out. (You choose which one(s).)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.