Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 New guy 
Author Message
 Post subject: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 am 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 2
Here to learn, have never carried. I have an older pistol (CZ 52) and need to up grade. Have been looking at Glock's. I am into preparedness and self sufficiency. I will be looking to take some classes this fall. Any in the south east corner of the cities?


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 am
Posts: 4468
Welcome.

I'm not in the Southeast (Lake Elmo) but I wouldn't limit your class options to geography. Look around, read a bit, check out some instructors and their websites, ask some questions and then pick a good class and go where ever that takes you.

Best of luck,

Paul

_________________
Certified Carry Permit Instructor (MNTactics.com and ShootingSafely.com)
Click here for current Carry Classes
"There is no safety for honest men, except by believing all possible evil of evil men." - Edwin Burke


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2264
Location: Eden Prairie
Welcome!

Paul's advice is spot on. Don't limit yourself to geography. Just ask around and you'll find lots of good instructors here.

You'll find a lot of GLOCK owners and carriers as well. :D

-Mark


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 am 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
Yup. I think a good class is worth an hour's drive -- or even more -- once every five years, but, then again, I do my classes in a Western burb. You're still in for a bit of driving, regardless, unless your class is held at or next to a gun range -- and I can think of one very good class that is held at one (the BPR class; I'm, err, less than a fan of the Bill's classes, as I think the quality of their instructors varies widely, from the okay to the not nearly that good).

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 am 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
Welcome aboard!

+1 to what the others have said- find a good instructor (and there are *many* hereabouts), and be willing to drive a little. It's worth it.

Jeremiah

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 pm
Posts: 385
Welcome :) :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:23 am 
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11
Location: St. Cloud
Good advice from all. Let me add that you should not take the cheapest class you can find. Talk to the potential instructors and see who you think you will be able to learn from the best. All instructors have different ways of teaching and you need to find someone that you will glean the most knowledge from. And after you get your carry permit continue to seek instruction and knowledge. Education is our best weapon against those that believe only the government should be armed

_________________
Minnesota Carry Permit Instruction
Arrest and Control Tactics
Handgun Retention Classes
Judo, Jujitsu, MMA Instruction
www.mnprotectiveservices.com
www.mncombat.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:24 am
Posts: 6767
Location: Twin Cities
mnprotectiveservices wrote:
Let me add that you should not take the cheapest class you can find.


...unless it's from, say, Paul Horvick, who does a great job at a killer price. And yes, he's the "competition." :)

Price is not a good predictor of quality. Ask around.

_________________
* NRA, UT, MADFI certified Minnesota Permit to Carry instructor, and one of 66,513 law-abiding permit holders. Read my blog.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 pm 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
Andrew Rothman wrote:
mnprotectiveservices wrote:
Let me add that you should not take the cheapest class you can find.


...unless it's from, say, Paul Horvick, who does a great job at a killer price. And yes, he's the "competition." :)

Price is not a good predictor of quality. Ask around.

No, price is a good predictor of quality, in this; it's just good, not perfect. There's very few good instructors, as far as I know, who are on the inexpensive end; Paul Horvick is one of those very few.

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 172
Welcome!

I'm a big fan of Glocks although I generally shoot/carry a 1911 nowadays.

I have a Generation 1 Glock 19 (9mm) - love it - highly concealable, lightweight, shoots great. I'd recommend any of their models.

b

_________________
NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm 
1911 tainted
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:47 pm
Posts: 3045
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
mnprotectiveservices wrote:
Let me add that you should not take the cheapest class you can find.


...unless it's from, say, Paul Horvick, who does a great job at a killer price. And yes, he's the "competition." :)

Price is not a good predictor of quality. Ask around.

No, price is a good predictor of quality, in this; it's just good, not perfect. There's very few good instructors, as far as I know, who are on the inexpensive end; Paul Horvick is one of those very few.

OK, take the middle road, I am in the middle price range. :mrgreen:


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2264
Location: Eden Prairie
cobb wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
mnprotectiveservices wrote:
Let me add that you should not take the cheapest class you can find.


...unless it's from, say, Paul Horvick, who does a great job at a killer price. And yes, he's the "competition." :)

Price is not a good predictor of quality. Ask around.

No, price is a good predictor of quality, in this; it's just good, not perfect. There's very few good instructors, as far as I know, who are on the inexpensive end; Paul Horvick is one of those very few.

OK, take the middle road, I am in the middle price range. :mrgreen:


But from what I hear, you're a good deal. :wink:

-Mark


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm 
Journeyman Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 pm
Posts: 67
Hello, welcome aboard.

I just picked up a G19 3rd gen. I like glocks a lot.

I am into the preparedness/survival thing too, I think most are on this board. :)

I live in East St. Paul kinda by 3M building. :wavey:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 2
Thanks for the welcome.
I have so much to learn, having come by firearms late. I went shooting last Saturday and had a blast. It is nice my hand gun ammo only cost 9 cents a round. I put a link to this site on http://s1.zetaboards.com/Minnesota_Preparedne/index/


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group