Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New from Mankato/Le Sueur/Saint Peter 
 Post subject: New from Mankato/Le Sueur/Saint Peter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:58 pm 

Hi everybody, I have been silently reading many posts and getting a feel for this site. i just completed my permit to carry course this last Saturday (9/12/09) (with Rick at River Valley Training), dropped my application off Monday (9/14/09), and recieved my permit already Friday (9/18/09). I am 22 years old, an automotive enigneering tech. student at MSU, and work part time as a mechanic for a smaller used car dealership in Mankato.

I can say one thing for sure, this was the first day that I have ever carried a loaded gun (besides at a range etc...) and it is a very... different feeling. Anyone else get that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New from Mankato/Le Sueur/Saint Peter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome!

You'll feel pretty self conscious for a while. First time I carried I thought everyone in the store could tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:52 pm 

Welcome!

I'm on my second day of carrying. Wife didn't notice (or at least didn't say anything if she did) when we went out to eat last night and apparently nobody else noticed either or didn't care. But I am with you, it is a different feeling right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 pm 
The Man

peter94 wrote:
I can say one thing for sure, this was the first day that I have ever carried a loaded gun (besides at a range etc...) and it is a very... different feeling. Anyone else get that?

Pretty much everybody. It's been more than a dozen years for me, but I still remember it, very clearly.

For a while, when you first carry in public, you feel like a very small person attached to a very large gun. It passes -- which is why I recommend that new permit holders just go ahead and carry for a few weeks, to get over that, and then decide what make sense for them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:34 pm 

Welcome!

Don't feel self-conscious while carrying, even Jesus carries:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

...and has lousy trigger finger discipline. :roll:

Fixed it for you:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 am 
The Man

Nope. Safety rules (among others) are not for omnipotent deities. Us humans need them, because we're not.

Gods get away with a lot of stuff -- so tell your daughters if they're out for a walk and they get hit on by a giant duck . . .

(Told my daughters, by the way, that if they ever show up unmarried and pregnant, "It was Zeus! It was Zeus! And he looked like a duck!" is not going to fly. So to speak.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 am 
1911 tainted

peter94 wrote:
Hi everybody, I have been silently reading many posts and getting a feel for this site. i just completed my permit to carry course this last Saturday (9/12/09) (with Rick at River Valley Training), dropped my application off Monday (9/14/09), and recieved my permit already Friday (9/18/09). I am 22 years old, an automotive enigneering tech. student at MSU, and work part time as a mechanic for a smaller used car dealership in Mankato.

Welcome.

Glad to see you found another source for more information. 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 am 
The Man

cobb wrote:
peter94 wrote:

Welcome.

And aren't we all?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am 

Welcome!
b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:38 am 
1911 tainted

joelr wrote:
cobb wrote:
peter94 wrote:

Welcome.

And aren't we all?

Well, I encourage all my students to go here.
http://www.rivervalleytraining.com/info ... links.html

There are links there to several good sources of information. What I tell everyone in class, go to the information link on my web site and check every link out. If you think it is a good link, bookmark it for later use, if not, well then ignore it.

There are several good sources of info available on the internet, some better, some worse, I just encourage my students to check them all out and decide for themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome!

And the "ohmygoshismygunshowing?!?!?" will pass. I promise. :D

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:04 pm 
The Man

cobb wrote:
joelr wrote:
cobb wrote:
peter94 wrote:

Welcome.

And aren't we all?

Well, I encourage all my students to go here.
http://www.rivervalleytraining.com/info ... links.html

There are links there to several good sources of information.
Sure. I wouldn't have sent anybody to this site without documenting errors there -- but it looks like they cleaned them up. Did I miss any that they left? (#37 is obviously incomplete and misleading, but it's not wrong, anymore. And while there's a lot wrong with #24, still, it's better than it used to be, although I note that they carefully don't give a cite for "Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals," and that the posting stuff is still, well, wrong.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 pm 

Quote:
38. When does my permit expire?
Any 5 year permit expires at 12:00 P.M. midnight on the date of expiration listed on the permit.

well if you want to nit pick for fun a little. There is no such time as "12:00 PM midnight".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:24 pm 
The Man

BrianB wrote:
Quote:
38. When does my permit expire?
Any 5 year permit expires at 12:00 P.M. midnight on the date of expiration listed on the permit.

well if you want to nit pick for fun a little. There is no such time as "12:00 PM midnight".

Well, when I do that, I'm mean. That said, that's not the only problem remaining with the BCA FAQ.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.