Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Hey all! New to MN from Chicago... 
 Post subject: Hey all! New to MN from Chicago...
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:41 pm 

Well, semi-new, at least. I moved here about 18 months ago, but am just recently getting enough on my feet to transfer my FOID card from Illinois to Minnesota. Excited to know that CCW is allowed here with a permit, Illinois by contrast is extremely strict on firearm ownership, transport, and does not allow any carrying. And believe it or not, I've never actually been on a range (parents owned enough land in Illinois, I just went out and shot in the fields).

I've got a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40, and I absolutely love it. Too big to conceal, but an absolute blast (er..no pun intended) to shoot, and perfect for home defense. As of now, I carry a Streamlight Strion LED flashlight on my belt everywhere I go, it was the most weapon-like object we could carry in Illinois. It's extremely bright, and has a disorienting strobe feature, just shining it at someone is a deterrent. But I'd like something more, probably a smaller handgun to keep in my vehicle.

So, hey!

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician
Honda Certified Technician

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hey all! New to MN from Chicago...
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:44 pm 

You can burn that FOID card. In minnesota you don't need a card to own a firearm. You will need a permit to purchase or a carry permit to puchase a handgun and select semi auto rifles.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:28 pm 
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Welcome!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm 

Welcome

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:36 pm 

welcome!

you don't need a stinkin' FOID card here.
b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome :)

I usually carry a glock 17 (9mm), or a H & K USP 40, they are not that hard to conceal, most people here are asleep away, its the kids (imo) that will notice… Also the MN permit does not requier concealed, tho some police/sheriffs can be real jerks about it.

Ohh, not to hi-jack this thread, but the number of Minnesotans that think you have to register guns here truely boggles my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 am 
Raving Moderate

grayskys wrote:
Also the MN permit does not requier concealed, tho some police/sheriffs can be real jerks about it.

Not sure where in MN you are, but you can expect the St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Duluth PDs to be very "interested" in you carrying openly, particularly in St. Paul (in my experience).

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
grayskys wrote:
Also the MN permit does not requier concealed, tho some police/sheriffs can be real jerks about it.

Not sure where in MN you are, but you can expect the St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Duluth PDs to be very "interested" in you carrying openly, particularly in St. Paul (in my experience).

I live in N. MPLS, been open carrying in my house, yard, truck, an walks about the neighborhood since August of 2003, never had a problem, but your milage may very.

Note: I do conceal other places tho...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm 

Welcome. Most people won't evene notice if you are carrying, totally oblivious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

pezhead wrote:
Welcome. Most people won't evene notice if you are carrying, totally oblivious.

Very true, tho children seem less oblivious...

Quoting myself: "people would not notice a tank on the freeway if it was painted candy apple red and had the words 'Honda Accord' on it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm 

Wow, weird to think you don't generally need a permit for most weapons here. Illinois was so strict, just to freakin' buy a firearm. So does the permit to purchase, by itself, allow any carrying (e.g. open)? I appreciate all the help guys!

-Tim

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician
Honda Certified Technician

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 pm 

attist178 wrote:
Wow, weird to think you don't generally need a permit for most weapons here. Illinois was so strict, just to freakin' buy a firearm. So does the permit to purchase, by itself, allow any carrying (e.g. open)? I appreciate all the help guys!

-Tim

You can carry on your property w/o a permit, and there are some other exceptions, though i wouldn't generally recommend that.

MN has a great permit law. You will need a permit to carry just about anywhere else. You'll need to take a class -- there are many reputable instructors in the twin cities. Do your research carefully and select a reputable instructor. Some post here as well - you can always post a note looking for an instructor & their rates/schedule. Once you have the certificate or letter from your class, apply at your local sheriff's department.

The permit to carry will serve as your permit to purchase for its 5 year lifespan.

B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:53 am 
Raving Moderate

grayskys wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
grayskys wrote:

I live in N. MPLS, been open carrying in my house, yard, truck, an walks about the neighborhood since August of 2003, never had a problem, but your milage may very.

Note: I do conceal other places tho...

My experience in MPLS has varied- some cops don't notice, some will ask to see a permit, with varying degrees of friendliness. None so far have given me the reception I got in St. Paul when I had taken my vest off on a hot day- disarmed, held at gunpoint, etc., by plainclothes/undercover officers in Crosby Farm Park.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think I would agree with that Jeremiah, I do carry concealded most of the time tho, but The dealers in my neighborhood know I carry so I see little reason to hide my firearm, they are faster and stronger than I am so I rely on deterrence and awareness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:19 pm 

Welcome! Yeh, Illinois and especially Chicago are absurdly gun-unfriendly (and seem to have been since the 19th century). Minnesota is one of the states with what's known as "preemption", meaning that state-level carry permits trump local ordinances, and "shall issue", meaning provided you meet the qualifications the authorities HAVE to issue you a permit. Saint Paul/Ramsey County still has a lot of people in uniform though who feel that they should have a monopoly on carrying firearms, and you have to know your rights. I'd strongly recommend one of the books out there on carrying in Minnesota, which do a good job of summarizing state law on the subject.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.