Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Charter Arms "Off Duty" 
 Post subject: Charter Arms "Off Duty"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:22 pm 

I was lucky enough to be given my first revolver from my boss for free. He knew it was in the house, he knew he had some ammo in the house, he just didn't have a good idea where they were. He did not need his one year old son to find it before he did, so it came home with me :lol:

It is a Charter Arms "Off Duty" in .38 special serial number 89XXX, wood grips, groove for a rear sight, and a faded orange dot on a ramped front sight. I apologize if I am not using the proper verbage for such things, but I am sure everyone can figure it out.

After running 20-30 rounds through it, the cylinder became extreamly hard to open. The release would not even move. Any ideas what would cause this? I would like to report that the thing is a joy to shoot. It points well, trigger is even, and crisp and it makes a hole where you intended to put a hole.

If I were looking for some nice rubber grips for this thing where would I look? Or is this thing even worth putting new grips on? Are they worth anything over the price it could be recycled for?

Any help would be nice.

Post subject: Re: Charter Arms "Off Duty"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 am 
Longtime Regular

SSG B wrote:
After running 20-30 rounds through it, the cylinder became extreamly hard to open. The release would not even move. Any ideas what would cause this?

First, I would get ahold of a spray can of 'Break Free' and hose down the release mechanism while working it back and forth. Might be nothing more than 'gummed up' and in need of a good cleaning.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:14 am 
The Man

SSG B wrote:
I was lucky enough to be given my first revolver from my boss for free. He knew it was in the house, he knew he had some ammo in the house, he just didn't have a good idea where they were. He did not need his one year old son to find it before he did, so it came home with me :lol:

It is a Charter Arms "Off Duty" in .38 special serial number 89XXX, wood grips, groove for a rear sight, and a faded orange dot on a ramped front sight. I apologize if I am not using the proper verbage for such things, but I am sure everyone can figure it out.

After running 20-30 rounds through it, the cylinder became extreamly hard to open. The release would not even move. Any ideas what would cause this? I would like to report that the thing is a joy to shoot. It points well, trigger is even, and crisp and it makes a hole where you intended to put a hole.

If I were looking for some nice rubber grips for this thing where would I look? Or is this thing even worth putting new grips on? Are they worth anything over the price it could be recycled for?

Any help would be nice.
If you like the gun, I think it would be a great idea to get good grips for it. I'd look to see if Hogue or -- better -- Pachmayr makes grips for it. Almost certainly. And I'd also take it to a gunsmith and get an idea of what it would take to degunk the cylinder release. Probably not a whole lot -- maybe just a trip to the parts washing machine at the auto shop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 pm 

I have the Charter Arms "On Duty" .38 spl. I love the gun. Fully reliable, very light, and shoots great! I think it would be well worth trying to get yours cleaned up and ready to shoot. Charter sells grips on their website, too, if you want to check them out:

http://charter2000.site.aplus.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CFAE&Category_Code=1GRP

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.