Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 sizes of guns and accuracy question 
 Post subject: sizes of guns and accuracy question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am 

In college training I shot a glock 19 i think and the 17....the 19 if i remember right is the smaller of the 2 and shot very accurately with it. I now carry a glock 27 and shot very accurate with it but if i go to a full size gun or sometimes shoot compact my aim gets worse. Does that make any sense or am i doing something wrong

Post subject: Re: sizes of guns and accuracy question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:05 am 

j_fredrickson2004 wrote:
In college training I shot a glock 19 i think and the 17....the 19 if i remember right is the smaller of the 2 and shot very accurately with it. I now carry a glock 27 and shot very accurate with it but if i go to a full size gun or sometimes shoot compact my aim gets worse. Does that make any sense or am i doing something wrong
I shoot a Glock30 .45, Ruger .45, Charter Arms/Bulldog .44 special, 9mm astra and .25 astra. I find I am equally accurate with them all as long as I keep up my practice with each one. *my friend will say I am better with the Glock than with any of the others*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 am 

yeah I was told that it was rather odd because most people shoot better with a bigger gun and i am the exact opposite. I do practice but i just not even close to as accurate with a larger gun than i am for a compact.......that's not calibre its just actual size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 am 

j_fredrickson2004 wrote:
yeah I was told that it was rather odd because most people shoot better with a bigger gun and i am the exact opposite. I do practice but i just not even close to as accurate with a larger gun than i am for a compact.......that's not calibre its just actual size.
I have found the larger the size of the gun, the less recoil it has. You may be anticipating more recoil and actually pushing forward on the gun to counter the recoil that isn't there. Practice better control...take a few breathes before taking the shot...temporarily hold your breath while you gently squeeze the trigger (like squishing a plum), then breath and follow through re-sighting for the next shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 pm 

Generally the longer the sight radius, the better you can shoot the gun. Along with a longer sight radius usually comes more weight which will yield less muzzle rise. Hank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lady Glock wrote:
j_fredrickson2004 wrote:
I have found the larger the size of the gun, the less recoil it has. You may be anticipating more recoil and actually pushing forward on the gun to counter the recoil that isn't there. Practice better control...take a few breathes before taking the shot...temporarily hold your breath while you gently squeeze the trigger (like squishing a plum), then breath and follow through re-sighting for the next shot.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:39 pm 

j ....

I have several guns of different calibers, sizes, weights and such.

I shoot fairly regularly and here's my take .... but, I'm no expert.

When I shoot my Bersa 380, or the Firestorm 22 I am dead on at SD distances. I have several 9 mm semiautos and I love shooting them. The Ruger SR9 is my present fave ... but, I have a couple other P series Rugers that are great, too. When I start moving up to 40 caliber in the SW 4013 I'm pretty good, but a bit less accurate. And, the GP100 with 38 is fine, but with 357 I'm all over the place. The SW 45 semiauto is OK, but I'm least accurate with it. And, I don't find it fun to shoot much.

Then, there's the LCP, Taurus 357 wheel gun with 2" barrel, couple SW 38 revolvers with short barrels, too. I'm terrible with these. I don't enjoy running many rounds thru them, but since some are CC, I do practice with them often with at least a box a month.

Sooooo .... the caliber, size of the gun, weight of the gun seem to make a difference to me. The shorter the barrel ... higher the caliber, the less accurate I am.

Why?

Recoil.

I can shoot 22, 380 or 9s all day and regularly put 500+ rounds thru these and the CCs, and 200-400 of the 22s. No hand problems, excellent shooting experience, and great accuracy.

Yes, I get better when I practice with the BIG guns, but I don't enjoy shooting them as much as those I listed. Everyone's different. I have folks at the club that shoot monsters .... even with ears, they are loud. But, for every round they shoot, I shoot 10. I prefer my experience, but others still enjoy theirs I am sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Snap caps are your friend when trying to find out if you are pushing, slapping or some other bad thing while working the trigger. They are fairly cheap and last just about forever.

If you go to any pistol competition the people that shoot well tend to be using pistols in the 4.25" to 5" range. The reason they are not larger is because of maximum size constraints (IPSC and IDPA both use a box that auto loaders have to fit into). They don't make these rules, and these patterns don't exist for no reason. Heck Glock made a pistol (the 34) to the maximum dimensions of this box for a reason too. I hear they sell a lot of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:26 am 
Longtime Regular

What would the holes you punched reveal given the following?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:28 am 
Journeyman Member

I have many different size handguns that I shoot and I find that, at least for me, the distance from the trigger to the back strap has to fit my hand well in order for me to pull the trigger straight back. If that distance is too short or too long it can influence whether one pulls the trigger off to the right or to the left. Try dry firing and watch the front sight.
All of the Glocks are staight shooters and I think is it because they pay attention to that dimension.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 am 
Longtime Regular

GABCO wrote:
[...] the distance from the trigger to the back strap has to fit my hand well in order for me to pull the trigger straight back.[...]All of the Glocks are staight shooters and I think is it because they pay attention to that dimension.

I find the same thing., The LCP, while concealable, is SMALL so I have to practice placement of hand and trigger.

I have the S&W M&P 9 full size and the changeable back straps are VERY nice. I use the Large as it fills my hand very well. Buddy uses the small as his hands are more dainty. IT shoots well for each of us that way but not the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I am most accurate with my full-sized Kimber .45acp.

I have a number of 9mm handguns, both compact and full-sized. I find that, at, say, 21 feet, there's not much difference among them. My Sig P6 is about as accurate as my Springfield Armory XD(M). The first time I shot my full-sized CZ-75, I was astounded at how accurate I was. The second time I was still pleased, but I wasn't appreciably more accurate than I was with two other 9mm handguns I shot the same day.

If I were shooting at 50 feet, however, there would probably be differences. I don't practice much at 50 feet because in a self defense situation, I would put on an astonishing burst of speed for an old fart--in the opposite direction from danger.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.