Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 S&W 642 too hot? 
 Post subject: S&W 642 too hot?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:49 pm 

Hi again,
Fairly new shooter here, I went to the range today and put about 150 rounds thru my gun, at times it got pretty warm, my question would be, is that bad? should I let the gun cool off alittle? May seem like a goofy question but I was wondering.. :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is true that heat can affect accuracy with firearms but my guess is that you are shooting at targets less than 300 yards so I doubt it should be an issues. I say shoot away. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

On second thought....for me, 150 rounds through a 642 would more than I would shoot in one range session. I would recommend more dry practice and less actual shooting. Front Sight recommends a 80% dry practice 20% live fire ratio.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 pm 

jaysong wrote:
On second thought....for me, 150 rounds through a 642 would more than I would shoot in one range session. I would recommend more dry practice and less actual shooting. Front Sight recommends a 80% dry practice 20% live fire ratio.

I agree, it was fun, but rough later on,lol, and I got a blister on my trigger finger...I know the S&W website say's it's ok, but I always wonder if it's ok to dry fire alot, maybe I worry too much,lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

If dry firing an empty gun bothers you, you can get some snap caps. Be very careful when starting a dry practice regimen. No live ammo in the area and still follow the 4 basic rules. Always use a target that go up when practicing and comes down when not. Set a time limit (15 - 20 mins is usually the max I go). Once done do not take any last shots. Only draw during practice time (range or dry). It is tough sometimes to follow these rules but they help with safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: S&W 642 too hot?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:41 pm 
The Man

rrpilot wrote:
Hi again,
Fairly new shooter here, I went to the range today and put about 150 rounds thru my gun, at times it got pretty warm, my question would be, is that bad? should I let the gun cool off alittle? May seem like a goofy question but I was wondering.. :?:
It's bad in the sense that it'll make it uncomfortable for you to shoot until it cools down; it's not bad in the sense that three boxes (or thirty) through it is going to hurt the gun. There've been torture tests with S&W revolvers (including, I think, the 642) where 5,000 rounds have been put through them in short order (shooting gloves were involved; the suckers got hot), and the groups didn't even loosen up.

So: let it cool down some, just because it'll be more comfortable to shoot that way. That said, 150 rounds through a pocket snubby is a pretty hefty range session, and I can't remember having put that many through in one session more than a half dozen times or so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just don't put the gun in your pants right away! Click for high res (if you dare):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 pm 
The Man

I hadn't thought about that story of yours for awhile. I do hope that all was well in the end, and that your hindsight has proved a boon to others so that they don't up doing such a half-assed thing, and looking back on it with regret.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
looking back on it with regret.

You clicked the pic, didn't you :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:54 pm 

LOL, I'm glad this forum has proved to be useful and fun, BTW when I went shooting today I bought the ammo at the range, Should I be shooting with only the ammo that I carry?....not sure how much accuracy is lost?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I tend to run a cylinder or two of carry ammo through my revolver at the start and end of a range session and otherwise save my wallet by shooting practice ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:57 pm 
The Man

rrpilot wrote:
LOL, I'm glad this forum has proved to be useful and fun, BTW when I went shooting today I bought the ammo at the range, Should I be shooting with only the ammo that I carry?....not sure how much accuracy is lost?
In my experience, with the 642 at reasonable self-defense practice ranges, it's undetectable. So: shoot some carry ammo, every now and then, just to make sure that you don't have a hard primer problem, but mainly shoot the (relatively) cheap stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
joelr wrote:
looking back on it with regret.

You clicked the pic, didn't you :-)
Nope; I've heard the story before, and felt no need to . . . refresh my memory.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:01 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
Just don't put the gun in your pants right away! Click for high res (if you dare):

My eyes! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

rtk wrote:
My eyes! :shock:

Now you've hurt my feelings, you insensitive beast!

But to un-drift the thread a little, my 2-1/4" SP101, especially shooting .357, gets hotter than I want to touch after not too many rounds, maybe ten or twenty fairly quickly. I haven't tried any real careful before-and-after bullseye shooting, but I haven't noticed any glaring difference in accuracy. I don't exactly shoot inside a minute of angle with that thing anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.