Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Attitudes of Gun Shops in Cities? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I don't think any single gun store has a lock on bad behavior, I think they all can deliver it when they want to. I think the "gun world" generally (for lack of a better word for it) is overflowing with macho/tacitcal jackasses long on attitude and bullshit and short on intelligence and social grace. No other line of business would stay open if they treated customers as badly as they all seem to.

Gun shop workers can certainly be like this, I agree, but they also have to overcome a certain stereotype that people expect to find in a gun shop.

The same type of thing you might encounter if you're a used car salesman, for instance, or a personal injury lawyer.

Many customers fully expect to find a grumbling oaf in smelly fatigues behind the counter, chomping on a cigar and answering questions in grunts and derisive snorts.

I won't speak for every store out there, but I think we should work to make that kind of atmosphere and attitude a thing of the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
Burnsville Pistol -- Roger is a great guy and it's a good place to shoot. Although I wish they would REALLY crack down on people handling guns behind the line.

Any time I've been there and was uncomfortable about the way someone else was handling their firearm, I've gotten Roger's attention via eye contact then nodded at the offender and he knew to check out what was going on. Each time he's come in and corrected the behavior. He then thanks me when I leave.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:35 pm 

Thanks Squib, I appreciate your comments. Hopefully your co workers (especially the ones with little to no customer service skills or common decency) are modeling your actions. Keep up the great work! We need more people like you in the world.

Yes it's true, I'm a liberal, ex military, gun carrying, large african american man in Minnesota!!! Don't fear me, hate me or think i'm a rarity. Treat me and mine with the respect and common decency I have commited to give to you and yours!!!

Post subject: A couple thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm a browser for now. Looking to buy my first gun. I have my heart set on an XD-9 for no apparent reason than the grip safety makes me feel better than the glock and the gun points well for me.

As such, I've been to Gun Stop, Bill's, and Frontiersman recently.

Gunstop definitely felt like a club or maybe even Cheers with gunpowder instead of beer. They didn't have what I was looking for but made a few calls and quoted me a price.

I also visited Frontiersman and spoke to Marv. He was very helpful.

Needless to say, since I can't stay away from that dang XD, and I have to get my shooting fix in, I've been to Bill's in Robbinsdale several times. I've talked to or been helped by 5-6 guys including Squib. None of them would know me from Adam. I've watched 5 of those guys deal with multiple customers. I'd say it's a lot about knowldge, a bit about the mood the guy is in, and a bit about the interaction or vibe the customer gives. a couple of the guys I didn't communicate well with. Wouldn't seek them out for a question but listened to them and watched them interact with other customers and they seemed all right. a couple of the guys would go right to the top of my good guys list. Wish I'd gotten their names.

If I had an experience that was as unsavory as posted elsewhere in this thread, I'd be writing a letter immediately with details like time, date, and descriptions. Actually, I'd probably have asked for the manager right then and there. There's NO excuse for that type of behavior.

Post subject: A follow-up
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:08 pm 

Since I had originally posted my experiences to start this thread, I have been back to Bills in Circle Pines several times. Each time has been a considerably better experience--in fact, I would say a superior experience. The second time I walked in there, Ryan met me immediately and asked if he could help me. He then spent a solid hour showing me gun after gun and explaining things. I decided to buy a gun there a week or two later and went back, and was greeted again by another staff member quickly. I waited for Ryan since I felt connected, and when he got loose from his customer he came over and spent another half hour looking at guns, giving recommendations, and then selling me one. I have to think that my first visit there just happened to be on a bad day now, and that it wasn't necessarily characteristic. So thanks Ryan... and thanks to you guys for your good help, especially russian val!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:29 pm 

to those that have had a bad expeirience at either bill's store I'm sorry to here this. I've been an on and off employee over there since '95 and I have seen alot of employee's come and go in that time. There have been a few bad apples in the bunch but over at robbinsdale Mitch,joe and all the rest of them work hard to make people happy.
As far as the circle pines out fit I went to college with 2 of the employee's and Ryan will help anyone with any gun issue they have he is as good as the day is long.

TDman I think I know the couple of knuckleheads you were dealing with and they are not there anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a real bad experence buying my fisrt handgun at Bill's many years ago way before the current management change.

I have found Ryan and the other employees at Bill's north to be very nice to deal with. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:41 pm 

I've bought the majority of my guns from The Frontiersman. Marv and all the guys are very professional. Muskey Mike at Joe's sporting goods is another I do business with.

If you really want to test your skills and patience, visit some gun shows. That oughta toughen anybody up enough to deal with those pesky shop employees! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I guess I've never mentioned my favorite. Hart Brothers in Albert Lea :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

squib_joe wrote:
I guess I've never mentioned my favorite. Hart Brothers in Albert Lea :!:

I bought a S&W 1006 there. They run a tight operation, and everything appears to be computerized (I think their online inventory is their in-store inventory).

When I bought my 1006 they had two, both were used. One was priced about $75 more than the other, and the cheaper appeared to be somewhat (10%?) better. I asked Milan Hart why they were priced differently and he said "because I paid a different price for them." That's either brutally honest, transparent capitalism or the best shut-up line ever, but I chose to believe the former and bought the gun.

It'd almost worth a wander through his shop once a while even though it's a bit far for a casual drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

mobocracy wrote:
When I bought my 1006 they had two, both were used. One was priced about $75 more than the other, and the cheaper appeared to be somewhat (10%?) better. I asked Milan Hart why they were priced differently and he said "because I paid a different price for them." That's either brutally honest, transparent capitalism

Actually, that's rather poorly done, inefficient capitalism, but his store, his rules, not my problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have purchased about a half dozen firearms from Bill's in Robbinsdale over the last 10 years or so and have never had any problems of any kind. Have I run into the employee who claims to know it all, sure, but when I have purchased items, I have not had a problem.

I guess, too, I have tried to educate myself before I enter any business so that I can make an educated decision when I buy. If I am going to buy an item for several hundred dollars or several thousand, I do not want to rely on the opinions and information provided by the employee. They have their own agenda when it comes to selling their ware and I have mine.

Please do not take this to mean that anyone should be put down or made to feel like an idiot. I would be the first to complain should I find myself at the short end of the stick so to write.

Of course, I wrote about a bad experience I had at a gun show with a MN dealer others loved and caught hell for it from some that it must have been something I did. YMMV.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

SethB wrote:
Actually, that's rather poorly done, inefficient capitalism, but his store, his rules, not my problem.

I think it's a legitimate pricing method; he sets a fixed margin and that's what he marks guns up. It's easy to understand, consistent and saves a lot of effort. It doesn't maximize profits individually on each gun but it does minimize administrative overhead and costs relative to more complicated pricing methods, and he's guaranteed to make money on every gun sale since it always includes his margin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 pm 

I ran across this older post and wondered if anything has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

I've bought two .38 airweights at GunStop, one last month, one about a year ago, and also a Glock 17 at Frontiersman about six months ago. Gunstop was busy one of the times and dead the other (besides the dog snuffling at my ankles), and while the employee didn't make a lot of conversation, he quickly opened the case so I could see the pistol I wanted, then moved off to let me look at it. I didn't need a lot of conversation from him, so this suited me just fine.

Frontiersman was a little more expensive, and a little more friendly. I completed the paperwork in about ten minutes and when I asked if they ever got any snubnose .38's in, and he said they went quick, but offered to take my number and call if any came through, which was nice of him. I also overheard him patiently explaining the difference between 9mm, .40 and .45 to someone who obviously had no clue, repeating things until the person was comfortable with what they wanted to buy, instead of going with the in-law's advice.

I shoot about once a month at Bill's North, and haven't ever bought a gun there, but the range workers have always been friendly and helpful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.