Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sig P226 9MM -vs- Baby Eagle 9MM 
 Post subject: Sig P226 9MM -vs- Baby Eagle 9MM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 am 

I have a co-worker that is interested in getting his carry permit and has just received his permit to purchase. He has done minimal research on handguns, but has made up his mind on a 9MM Baby Eagle. I do not consider myself an expert on handguns by any means, far from it. I have three Sigs, a Beretta, and a Taurus revolver. I am sure the Baby Eagle is a great gun, but having a Sig bias myself, I am questioning his lack of research.

He is set on a 9MM semi-automatic. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sig P226 9MM -vs- Baby Eagle 9MM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:35 am 
The Man

inspyrd wrote:
I have a co-worker that is interested in getting his carry permit and has just received his permit to purchase. He has done minimal research on handguns, but has made up his mind on a 9MM Baby Eagle. I do not consider myself an expert on handguns by any means, far from it. I have three Sigs, a Beretta, and a Taurus revolver. I am sure the Baby Eagle is a great gun, but having a Sig bias myself, I am questioning his lack of research.

He is set on a 9MM semi-automatic. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Well, there's lots of good ones. I'd tend to recommend the XD, these days, a fair amount of . . . bang for the buck, and I really like the grip safety.

But the Baby Eagle isn't a bad choice; it's got the same grip shape as the classic CZ.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 9mm Baby Eagle is a fine, if (some consider it) over priced. Further, the reputation of the company for customer service is, in the minds of some, less than impressive.

(You might suggest this website: http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html )

Some folks will say that the Baby Eagle is the best of the CZ75 variants. Maybe so. But, one would wonder why not get the CZ75 instead...it is moderately less costly and has a worldwide reputation for excellence.

That being said, it is a fine gun and would have the cachet of being "different" etc.

I am a huge CZ75 fan...love them. In the "for what it is worth" category, the AR24 is also an excellent CZ variant.

So, is the person hell bent on a CZ variant, or is he hell bent on the Baby Eagle as a gun in and of itself. If looking for a variant, I suggest get the original.....but....then again I do lots of dumb things too.

XD? Also great. I just added an XDm9...not so sure that was a good idea though.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't have any Jewish guns yet. That might be reason enough to get an IMI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Do they make the Baby Eagle in Minneapolis?

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I don't have any Jewish guns yet...

Have you thought about getting Hans and Frans to Pump You Up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

The baby eagle in any caliber is heavy for a carry gun & a little heavy for what it is. That isn't a problem if the friend has the frame for it and buys a good belt and holster. It is a pretty gun. That said, if I was looking to carry a 9, I would probably go with the CZ Rami (The Rami is on my list of pistols to buy, I am just prone to .40 as I don't own any 9's). DA/SA with one in the chamber and the safety off is my favorite method of cary BTW.

I second the suggestion of XD. I have an XD40 4" and I have every bit of confidence they build their 9's as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:46 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I don't have any Jewish guns yet. That might be reason enough to get an IMI.
I'm holding out for a civilianized Tavor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 pm 

Macx wrote:
The baby eagle in any caliber is heavy for a carry gun & a little heavy for what it is. That isn't a problem if the friend has the frame for it and buys a good belt and holster. It is a pretty gun. That said, if I was looking to carry a 9, I would probably go with the CZ Rami (The Rami is on my list of pistols to buy, I am just prone to .40 as I don't own any 9's). DA/SA with one in the chamber and the safety off is my favorite method of cary BTW.

I second the suggestion of XD. I have an XD40 4" and I have every bit of confidence they build their 9's as well.

+1 on the XD's. I have the .40 in the 3", and have all the confidence that it won't fail should the need arise. I have almost 1k rounds through it w/o any issues at all. A friend of mine has the XD9, and it's the same story. Not too heavy, and my daily carry!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

CZ75 P-01.
Compact, accurate, reliable!

image from Lundestudio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:36 am 

Thanks to all of you for your imput. He picked up a XDm9 last night at Bill's North.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 am 

Dee wrote:
CZ75 P-01.
Compact, accurate, reliable!

image from Lundestudio

Boy, is that a nice looking piece of hardware! What's the going price for one of those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's the same, in .40:

Image from Chunk's living room floor, before the .40 fell into the lake.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:25 am 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:

Boy, is that a nice looking piece of hardware! What's the going price for one of those?

The CZ-USA website lists a MSRP of $637
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

If you like CZ's in 9mm, the compact is $598

There is also the CZ75 D-PCR ($617) which has a decocker instead of the compact's safety and alloy frame instead of the compact's steel frame. Only about a 4 oz difference in weight though.

I believe that street prices are quite a bit lower than the suggested list. However, I don't know what the current gun buying craze has done the availability and prices. before the election, I had seen compacts, P-01's and D-PCR's going from around $400 to $500.

For the OP, I think all three of the guns above are smaller and weigh less than the baby eagle. I don't personally like the looks of the baby eagle that much. I much prefer the looks of the original CZ75 and its variants. They are also available in gloss blue, matte blue (polycoat), bi-tone and nickel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:25 am 
Longtime Regular

If you wanted to go with the CZ line you also have their carry option line,the Rami. I know for sure it comes in 9mm and 40.This is their 40caliber.I have the extended magazine in. It doesn't need to be that long in the grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 am 
The Man

inspyrd wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your imput. He picked up a XDm9 last night at Bill's North.
Good choice, IMHO, and all.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.