Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 XD-M for daily carry? Any experiences? 
 Post subject: XD-M for daily carry? Any experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm 

Hi,

Looking at the SA XD-M in .40 for a daily carry. It seems like the kind of SHTF type scenarios are less 1:1 and more often 1:4-5. My current carry is a Kimber Ultra Compact but it only carries 8 rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine.

The CCW training I received emphasized I was carrying for self-defense not an extended gunfight but the scenarios I'm seeing in the news don't back that up consistently.

So I'm wondering if anyone on here carries a XD-M daily and how it works for them, any opinions, what holsters and positions (IWB, OWB, SOB, etc.) work the best. Just looking for opinions and ideas. <cough>and a reason to buy another gun....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Hobie

Post subject: Re: XD-M for daily carry? Any experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hobie wrote:
<cough>and a reason to buy another gun....

One really 'needs' a reason to buy another gun? :shock: :lol:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am a XD40 4" owner. I liked a shoulder rig with a double mag carrier for the right side to balance it out. I can't imagine a IWB would be a problem. I mostly used mine for carry while wearing full leathers in a motocycling context. Image
I didn't find the ty down straps 'er whatever those dohickeys are called that go from the holster to the pants belt useful in my context . . . under the leathers it was never a problem though.

I should add, that I was too new to carry and didn't have a great board like this out in PA, and the striker fired/ passive safety thing whigged me out. . . so I ended up getting and carrying other things more often. I have recently been toying with digging the XD out of the box, now that I am a few more years into carry without doing anything (Lee Paige- like) dumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's a nice lookin' rig macx. 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
That's a nice lookin' rig macx. 8)

Falco.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 am 

My $0.02: I carry an XD-SC chambered in .40, typically with an IWB or holster-less (just tucked into my waistband at 3 o'clock with a tight belt), usually with the standard mag. Sometimes with the extended-toe mag, but that will print a little more. So round capacity is either 10+1 or 13+1.

Those new XD-M's look pretty sweet. If you have the means - GET IT! :lol: There's your excuse....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
holster-less (just tucked into my waistband at 3 o'clock with a tight belt)
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Falco is good stuff & Chunkstyle has a sharp eye. I also use a Falco IWB for my Makarov and have been happy with their leather all around. That shoulder rig came with the ty downs but they are removable (without damage) and there was a fair ammount of adjustability for tension and body shape throughout the rig.

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:35 pm 

Just wanted to thank all who took the time to respond. And yes, once married apparently I need a "reason" to buy another gun. However my wife after owning her first pistol for all of about 2 weeks is already saying she wants a centerfire pistol... :lol:

Thanks again to all who contribute.

Hobie

<edited to fix typo>

Last edited by Hobie on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

My form for the XDm came in on Friday so I can make holster now for them.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 am 

I currently carry a XD-45 4 inch basically 24/7 (besides at school, dont get me started :bang: ) and i usually just carry it in a fobus paddle holster. Really is a great holster. During the summer I carry it in a High Noon, I believe it is the Split Decision model. It is an IWB, is pretty minimal, and has worked the best out of everything i have tried. If you want you could also look at the Crossbreed super tuck, while it is definitely a top notch holster, it just didnt do it for me, seemed like it was too much when compared to my split decision that does the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am 
Journeyman Member

sheepdog wrote:
holster-less (just tucked into my waistband at 3 o'clock with a tight belt)

:shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.