Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 BUG decision 
 Post subject: BUG decision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 pm 

I have a 4" XD 9mm, as my only pistol currently.

Looking at getting a BUG, and having a tough time deciding what to get.

I currently have a shoulder rig (my usual favorite, fits my frame and allows me to sit, and interact without issue), Blackhawk CQB Level 2, and an Uncle Mike's IWB cheapie.

XD-Sub Compact, 9mm:
Pros:
-Same magazines
-Same form/function (don't have to remember two weapons handling, other than size)
Cons:
-Might be difficult to hide a second, wide-bodied pistol (Haven't tried)

Revolver, probably .357. Haven't really looked into this option.

1911, probably the standard .45. Single-stack makes for an easier time hiding. I'd probably go with a $500 ParaUSA GI-45 base model.

Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9.

I'm really tempted to stick with the XD, but I'm not sure it'll be so easy to hide on my frame. I'm 6'1", 230lbs and got a slight doughnut I carry around. The IWB holster doesn't work well for me, maybe it's just because it's a soft-sided one.

Also, trying to keep costs down; as I'm unemployed - but want to identify what I get when I have the funds, so I can start watching for a deal.

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 am 
Longtime Regular

As a BUG do you mean while you are carrying your primary and this would be the BUG for it? If so I would recommend a J frame in a front pocket holster. (I use an Uncle Mikes #3) My second recommendation would be a Kel Tec or a LCP in a wallet holster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Pocket carry is the best way for bug carry IMHO on the weak side. I too would recommend a J-frame or Kel-tect P3AT or PF9.

My choice 95% of the time is a P3AT in a Rough Out pocket holster in the back pocket.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 am 

I used to carry a large auto in a shoulder holster (Smith & Wesson 645). I carried my backup, a j-frame snubby, in a belt holster on my strong side.

Times have changed, now I carry an M&P 9L in my IWB holster and my J-frame backup is in a Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig. I like it because I can get to a gun with either hand, even when sitting behind the wheel of my car.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:33 pm 

After 5 years of playing BUG roulette I have delightfully settled on the Walther PPK 380. Perfect for those suit days when I can't comfortably carry the SIG and equally so for those Jeans/T-Shirt days when it slips inconspicuously into the front pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:53 pm 

Myself I'll be going with a Keltec 380.

I have to say if you are going for a XD subcompact, I'd go with a 40, you can always get the 9 barrel for the 40, can't get a 40 barrel for a 9... More bang for the buck ( all puns intended)

Post subject: Re: BUG decision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:14 pm 

A former student called to ask whether I'd recommend a couple of extra mags for his carry or a BUG.

Personal choice was my response, but it got me to thinking

Personally, no matter how much I practice, I still can't quite convince myself that I can do a tactical reload in the time I can pull out the BUG. Checked with another instructor who's an 'expert' (that's HIS theory) and he insisted I was as full of shit as a christmas goose. Yeah, probably, but I STILL feel more comfortable with the BUG rather than the mags. But then, I'm not an expert. Nor a lawyer. Or a copper....this is starting to sound like the opening disclaimers in one of my classes.

Anyhow, there has to be at least ONE more expert out there. And if not, how's about a couple of posers throwing a few pearls before those of less fortunate. :D

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

The first thing to do is to find a "civilian"* self defense situation where a "tactical reload" was necessary.

The reason to carry a second mag is because once in a while mags fail.

But think about it: the chances of needing to shoot are remote. The chances of needing to shoot and needing more than 6/10/12/15/17 rounds is really remote.

That said, this is kind of a free country, still, so I wouldn't criticize anyone for choosing to cover that fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance that you'll need a second gun.**

-------------------
* Yeah, yeah, I know. You know what I mean.
** The most I ever carried was five, but that was a special occasion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:17 pm 

We all carry for a variety of different scenarios; mine include engaging an active murderer (depending on several factors).

In an active-murderer or terrorist attack situation, having the extra ammo and an extra gun could mean the difference between life and death.

You also might be in a situation where your backup gun could be given to an unarmed (adequately trained) ally. I was involved in an on-duty incident a while ago where I had a friendly (but unarmed and off-duty) partner with me. I was able to give him my backup gun so he could help me manage the situation until backup arrived.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:52 pm 

If you've decided to carry a BUG, I would recommend the P3AT, which is what I carry most of the time. They are small, light, and easy to conceal. This is a BUG, so you have your XD for the few times when a .380 won't get the job done.

For most people I'm not a fan of either BUGs or extra magazines, because I believe the statistics, and the statistics say that it's vanishingly rare for anyone to deploy either a BUG or an extra magazine in a fruitful fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll throw out what may be an uncommon suggestion - Consider a PA63. You are talking about a back up gun, how about an alloy frame of very slim proportions, low entry fee, fixed barrel accuracy . .. Image It isn't a Makarov, but it is a bunch less weight than a Mak too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:39 pm 

S&W 642, 442 or any other flavor. Great BUG, and also works for the "short trip to the store".

My .02, YMMV

RTK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:54 am 

rtk wrote:
S&W 642, 442 or any other flavor. Great BUG, and also works for the "short trip to the store".

My .02, YMMV

RTK

+1 - sometimes you just don't want to put all that stuff on. (I wish I had a video link to that scene from In the Line of Fire)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:13 am 

I've found a replacement for the XD Service as it's in the shop. Cabella's had a deal on (and in stock!) 9 Sub-Compacts.

Before that, I'd picked up a SCCY CPX-1 (Bill's had them in stock at one point for $300). (Basically a Kel-Tec P11 clone)
http://www.sccyindustries.com/2009/CPX_1_Two_Tone.html
Kicks hard, but it's small and goes bang. Does have a manual safety, that likes to occasionally bump on when firing.
EDIT: SCCY is 15 oz empty. 'Light' enough for me, with my slightly bigger frame.

Last edited by Q_Continuum on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 am 

One thing to consider with the BUG is weight. I could just as easily get a shoulder rig for my M&P 9c and carry it as a backup; I carry the J-frame instead because it's lighter.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.