Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 After much labor, it's a boy... I think. 
 Post subject: After much labor, it's a boy... I think.
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I was at a local mega sports store a few days ago looking for ammo. Of course, I usually take the time to browse their gun displays and something caught my eye. It was a trade in SIG P6. I've wanted one for a while, especially since Cobb let me shoot his when the M&P that I was using jammed. I remember how well it fit my hand.

I asked to see it and the moment I picked it up, I knew I had to have it. It fit me like a glove and pointed perfectly every time. I've seen a few of them but usually they're pretty beat up, at least on the outside. This one was in near mint condition. The slide rails were pristine (still black as the day they came from the factory) and the barrel shone like a jewel. It had a very tiny bit of holster wear on the front edges of the slide and on the slide serrations. I had to have it.

I reached for my wallet.. no ID on me. Ran home and got it and when I went to pay for it, my debit card had exceeded its daily limit due to some other shopping I'd already done. So I hopped in the car to head for the bank and halfway there, my serpentine belt shredded. I got the car towed to my mechanic, called a friend and got a ride to the bank and then back to the store to pay for it. Then they tell me that my NICS approval has been delayed. Gaaah! Never try to buy a gun on a Friday afternoon. I then head to the mechanic who had sworn that the car will be ready by five. Well, of course it isn't and then I get a call telling me that my approval has come through but that they are closing in a few minutes. I had to wait till the next morning to pick it up.

To make a long story short, I was finally able to bring the new baby home. I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range but I will do that this weekend. It came with two mags and a OWB holster with a thumb snap. I will be bothering Srigs soon about an IWB holster for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Congratulations! :D

Srigs can though you the baby shower. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 am 
Longtime Regular

I got one, several months ago. Hadn't had a chance to shoot it till a couple weeks ago. Very nice, smooth, accurate, comfy grip. Only downsides are small mag cap, and heavy/bulky.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:04 am 
Longtime Regular

My wife loves shooting her's and it is a dam accurate gun.

I do have a good OWB already made for one (The Slide). Let me know.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Usually when I run into that many roadblocks when I try to do something, I question if I am s'posed to be doing it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm 

tman065 wrote:
Usually when I run into that many roadblocks when I try to do something, I question if I am s'posed to be doing it....

It's either that, or follow through, because of all the work done to get it...I can never get those two straight.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: sig
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm 

I put in a 20# hammer spring in mine, and it helped the D/A trigger pull quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:

Believe me, tman, I did seriously question myself; "Is this an omen?".
I just had to tell myself; "I am not superstitious". After that every roadblock made me more determined to see it through.

Q_Continuum wrote:
I put in a 20# hammer spring in mine, and it helped the D/A trigger pull quite a bit.

I have thought about that but I want to shoot it first before I do anything to it. The DA pull is stiff but not much more than my TZ. The SA pull isn't bad; some creep but the break is crisp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I went to the range today and am happy to report zero malfunctions. This particular model has a date of 11/79 stamped on it. I had heard that initially P6's had problems feeding hollow points and that SIG had changed the angle of the barrel feed ramp in June 1989 from 52 degrees to 54 degrees which alleviated the problem. I also found the recoil to be mild.

I tried all the different kinds of ammo that I had on hand:
WWB 115 gr. FMJ
Fiocchi Extrema 147 gr. XTPHP (Hornady XTP bullets)
WWB 147 gr. JHP

I am definitely going to change out the hammer spring to a lighter weight and I might send in the slide to be Ceracoated but that's it. I was able to find an owners manual and an armorers manual (both in english) on the net.

For those that are interested, I had heard that the German customs service and some others had traded in their P6's (supposedly to the tune of serveral thousand pistols) and that fresh surplus P6's would be available somethime during the summer of 2009. I hope this is true as I would like to pick up another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:59 am 

I have seen a lot or these starting to turn up at different places(Gun Digest etc.) for sale.

Beretta owner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm 
1911 tainted

Glad to see that you pick this up, I think you will be very happy, especially with what you paid. Would you share as to what local gun shop had this in stock, I would maybe like to refer others if the price is still good.

Was the range at KCCC? If so, why didn't you invite others to come an play? :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cobb, this was at Scheels in Mankato. I did not see any more of them there. The P6 is not as easy to find as it once was. I think it was just one that someone had traded in. They did have another used SIG (P226, I think) that was listed for about $500 but I wanted a P6 because of the slim grip. The nice thing about it was that they sold me some ammo that they keep back for people who buy guns from them.

I had to go to St James Saturday morning so I detoured via New Ulm (not the shortest detour) and used the Hunters Den range. Apart from the employees, it was absolutely deserted. I was the only one in the place. It was kinda nice having the range to myself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.