Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Your Favorite Gun! 
 Post subject: Fav Carry Piece
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Soda straw: one end has a firecracker stuffed into it, the other a little rock. I light the fuse of the 'cracker and in theory the rock should hit the BG hard enough to do major damage .. perhaps even leaving a poc-mark on the skin. I guess the old-timers used to call this a "zip gun" ... I've just adopted it to polymer instead of using a steel pipe like the old schoolers woulda done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:16 pm 

Belt: Sig p239
Discrete: S&W 340PD
Range: Springfield 1911 worked over by x-Ring in Omaha
Fun: Ruger SBH - 4" or 10.5" .44

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 pm 
The Man

gmerick wrote:
Belt: Sig p239
Discrete: S&W 340PD
Range: Springfield 1911 worked over by x-Ring in Omaha
Fun: Ruger SBH - 4" or 10.5" .44
Good choices all -- although when it comes to fun, when I think Ruger, I think Mark II .22 with the bull barrel. I can handle recoil, but I don't find it fun -- mileage obviously varies.

How hard do you find the kick of the S&W when shooting the full-house .357s?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:42 pm 

Nothing can describe the recoil of a full house 357 launching itself out of a 10 ounce revolver. Makes me wonder if the BG will take as much damage as I do.
Mark II vs SBH? Rock&roll vs the tennesee walz each one's a lot of fun.

Forgot to add:
Home defense: Rossi Overland

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 340pd recoil
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:19 pm 

Accurate description of 340pd recoil[url]http://tenring.blogspot.com/2005/01/one-from-vault.html[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 340pd recoil
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 pm 

Accurate description of 340pd recoil[url]http://tenring.blogspot.com/2005/01/one-from-vault.html[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:55 pm 

Usually I don't mind recoil. I have a Taurus 605C--a J-frame knock-off with a 1.75-inch barrel and I genuinely enjoy shooting .357 loads, at least for the first 100 or so rounds. I think the porting helps quite a bit, as does the relatively heavy weight of the gun. I find shooting hot +P rounds through an Airweight J-frame less enjoyable.

The gun is amazingly accurate, too. I can bang a 4-inch spinner at 20 yards all day long, or at least until my hand starts to get sore after 100 or so rounds.

It's still not as accurate as my Glocks, though, which is why my daily carry gun is a 26.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:37 pm 

An ambiguous question.
Does it mean a favorite gun you have? or
A favorite gun on a wish list?

The one I have at the moment is an old S&W M66-1
with a 4” tube. On the other hand on my wish list it
will have to be a customized Colt Commander in 38 Super.
(On second thought with all these terrorist running around
these days a double stack Commander might even be better)
:wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:51 pm 

Carry: CZ 100 in 40S&W. Utterly reliable and surprisingly accurate pistol with a one gazillion pound, ND-proof DAO trigger. It's a revolver in semi-auto clothing! :D

Target/range: All of my other CZs.

Fondling/admiring: an unissued and unfired mint condition Walther P1 that I recently picked up from Gander. Image here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:44 pm 

I am amending my choice. My mewly accquired S&W Model 40 snubbie (circa 1953-1954, and of the "lemon squeezer" variety) has risen up the list rapidly, and is now my pocket carry gun almost daily. Funny that my most-liked handgun was free.

:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=161729[/img]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Generally, if I could only have one, it would have to be something in AK. Compact enough when folded, light enough to carry, more accurate than a handgun, capacity options (if you think your Glock's 16 is something, how about a 100rnd drum :wink: though a five rounder or thirty can be had for cheap), I like bayonet lugs, the function of the safety, the side/ optics mount, and it fits nicely with other arms options. By that I mean that an AR is a fine compliment to a distance rifle but if you have a distance rifle might the AK be a better compliment. A pistol is fine for carry but having an AK handy for greater distances and more dangerous "game" seems to click with me. There are more accurate guns out there, there are lighter, and more concealable guns, more powerful, and even higher capacity guns available (I am visualizing a beltfed option) but I think the AK represents a fine balance, enough of everything good and deficiencies relatively minimal except for very specialized applications.

What is my favorite gun to drool over (don't have but want & yet not likely to actually get) - $3500 or so dollars worth of M1a/ M21 from Springfield. . . yup. Of course I'd need to throw about as much cash at it again in optics and kit to complete the package. I catch myself having dreams about those that border on sinful.

I should mention something about pistols besides the Matthew Quigly line, "I said I never had much use for pistols, I never said I didn't know how to use them". Actually, I do have a love with a particular pistol. There is just something about a Makarov that makes me happy. Maybe it is the reliable simplicity, the accuracy, the cost to fun ratio, cheering for the underdog or the joy with which I have lovingly tuned mine. Most likely I just love it because it always goes bang when it should, doesn't go bang when it shouldn't and I can shoot it all day without pain.

Post subject: Favorite carry gun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:56 pm 

The Bersa 380 wins hands down for a highly concealable pocket gun. It points great, fits the hand perfectly, and conceals nicely in a Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster or a Fobus paddle. Just the right amount of safeties -- functional but don't get in the way. Traditional DA for long first pull. Nothing disassembles easier for cleaning. Everyone at the range wants to try it. I highly recommend it, as opposed to larger guns that stay at home. They're showing up all around town now, with their twin brother the Firestorm. Very reliable with thousands of rounds pushed through.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Guns
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:38 am 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
strong side holster the SIG 229 SAS DAK in 40S&W

Probably the finest gun I've ever shot. That thing was on auto pilot for me! Can't justify the $ though, went with a used Glock 23 instead for 1/2 the cost.

I'm not cheap BTW, I just watch my pennies. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:19 pm 

For walks in the MN woods, Taurus 415ti (don't ask what Fed 250 gr 41 mags feel like out of a 19 oz snubbie)

For carry, Series 80 Combat Commander with night sights and laser grips in strong side IWB (Brommeland Max Con V or Sparks Versa Max are on the list)

For discretion, Kel-Tec P3-AT or NAA 380 guardian in pocket holster

For 100 yd crowd control, SKS DM with 30 rd AK mags

For politically correct appearances, a light semi auto WW 100 .308 (am always eyeing the Springfield M1-A1 family)

For the fantasy of survival in Alaska, 5 1/2" Vaquero with 300 gr moly 45 Colt handloads and Ruger 77 with custom stainless magnaported .338 tube

The last handgun to go, Series 70 Gold Cup

The last long gun to go, Rem 870 with 28" VR, 20" rifled, and 18" cyl tubes

The next handgun, Kimber SS Pro Carry with NS and CT (28 oz)

The next long gun, 50 BMG :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:56 pm 

Ease of carry - S&W 642
Wish I liked to carry - Ruger P90
Christmas present - Springfield XD 9 Sub-compact

Contenders for the latest aquisition had included a 5" j-frame, Ruger P345 and the FN Five Seven, but the P345 will probably show up eventually, unless I pick up another XD in 45 instead, or find a 9mm s&w.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.