Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Help with identifying this firearm? 
 Post subject: Help with identifying this firearm?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I happened upon an ad for a holster and firearm combination that was printed in 1960. The ad states that the firearm is over 50 years old (which would bring it to turn-of-the-last-century time (1900's). The holster is described as a Buscadero with Six-shooter.

The firearm that I am curious about is listed in the advertisement as a "W&S six-shooter" that "has seen service" but with clean and crisp bores and which are mechanically "perfect". The ad further states that the "six-shooter" takes "regular U.S. .45 caliber with ammunition available in every sporting goods store."

What is a "W&S six-shooter"? Does anyone out there know?

Oh, the price for the entire thing, holster, belt, and "six-shooter"? $16.95 from the Ellner Company in Los Angeles.

Post subject: Re: Help with identifying this firearm?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:37 pm 

I know this isn't the gun but if you haven't run a Web search on "'W&S' firearms" it might give you a start in tracking it down:
http://www.ballista-publishing.com/book.htm. Good Luck. :wink:
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you very much. "British" just didn't come to mind. I believe that the firearm in question was indeed a Webley and Scott conversion. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 am 
Longtime Regular

W & S would in all probability be Webley & Scott. My guess would be that this is a Webley Revolver, there were six variations or "Marks" 1 through 5 being birds head grips with subtle differences between them and 6 was a square butt. To allow them to shoot .45ACP the cylinders have to be faced off in a lathe to provide the extra room for the moon clips. In this contition they will also fire the .45 Rimmed which is not so freely available.

PM me if you'd like to shoot one!

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Could they have been designed to take .45 Colt? Seems more likely, for a turn of the century weapon.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
Oh, the price for the entire thing, holster, belt, and "six-shooter"? $16.95 from the Ellner Company in Los Angeles.

Things sure change. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 pm 
In the time out chair

before 1968, such ads were common place, I somewhere have an ad from the back of a Sports Afield dated 1965, I think it was june. The ad lists a company in NYC listing springfield rifles for 11.95. Krags for about 7, 1911's for $9.99 and all sorts of chinese and Axis bolt guns for under $5.00. I believe Oswald bought his rifle thru the US mail for under 10 dollars.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.