Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Repost: I'm thinking of giving up my HK USP for a 1911 
 Post subject: Repost: I'm thinking of giving up my HK USP for a 1911
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:32 pm 

I've reposted as my previous post was taken down for a small rules infraction. I've deleted the part where I made the grave error and incourred the wrath of brother Rothman. My apologies.

I've recently purchased a HK USP .45 Tactical. Now, at the time I thought I knew what it was that I wanted and I hadn't spent a lot of time shooting. I actually hadn't shot anything but a S&W 629 and loved it. I wised up about my first purchase as I planned to CC. I've also picked up a Sig 229 as my carry and I love the Sig. I can't say that I'm as pleased with my HK purchase as it's not the best target pistol I've shot yet. I've shot a couple of 1911's (a SA base model that I rented at Bill's) I like the feel except it had a pretty heavy trigger. I know that can be upgraded, but I'm more interested in something that is trick out of the box without spending more that say $1200. I've considered Kimber and another said I couldn't do any better than a Colt Gold Cup Match.

Also, What are some thoughts about Wilson Combat 1911's? I hear although expensive they're the best of the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:35 pm 

I've three Kimbers (1 classic, 2 Ultras) and like all three of them. The Ultra CDP II is usually my daily carry weapon.

I hear nothing but great things about the Wilsons - they would be near the top of my list if I was buying another 1911.

b

Post subject: Re: Repost: I'm thinking of giving up my HK USP for a 1911
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am 
Longtime Regular

sigsteve wrote:
I've reposted as my previous post was taken down for a small rules infraction. I've deleted the part where I made the grave error and incourred the wrath of brother Rothman. My apologies.

Nah. I saved you from incurring the wrath of Brother Rosenberg. Count yourself lucky. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Why am I suddenly picturing Andrew and Joel running around with tonsured haircuts in brown robes?

:shock: :shock:

Scratch that.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Monks, eh?

When Good Monks Go Bad

Warning! Some blasphemy and questionable language.

Obligatory gun content: the Colts are nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:47 am 

mrokern wrote:
Why am I suddenly picturing Andrew and Joel running around with tonsured haircuts in brown robes?

Scratch that.

-Mark

I think it would be more like Holy Grail type monks whacking themselves in the forehead! :)

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:22 am 
The Man

mrokern wrote:

Scratch that.

-Mark
Well, I do come by the hairstyle naturally. Alas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:27 am 
The Man

sigsteve wrote:

I've recently purchased a HK USP .45 Tactical. Now, at the time I thought I knew what it was that I wanted and I hadn't spent a lot of time shooting. I actually hadn't shot anything but a S&W 629 and loved it. I wised up about my first purchase as I planned to CC. I've also picked up a Sig 229 as my carry and I love the Sig. I can't say that I'm as pleased with my HK purchase as it's not the best target pistol I've shot yet. I've shot a couple of 1911's (a SA base model that I rented at Bill's) I like the feel except it had a pretty heavy trigger. I know that can be upgraded, but I'm more interested in something that is trick out of the box without spending more that say $1200. I've considered Kimber and another said I couldn't do any better than a Colt Gold Cup Match.

Also, What are some thoughts about Wilson Combat 1911's? I hear although expensive they're the best of the best!
In terms of quality, it's really hard to go wrong with any of the top custom makers, and Wilson most definitely is one of them.

That said, you do pay for that.

Were it me, and I'd decided to carry an out-of-the-box 1911, I'd be very tempted by one of the Kimbers. I like my Pro Carry -- Commander-sized -- quite a lot. You can pretty much get the features you want (and only those) right out of the box.

We've got a fair amount of expertise on 1911s around here -- I'd be very interested in what Cobb or Jac had to say.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:14 am 
Longtime Regular

sigsteve wrote:
I'm more interested in something that is trick out of the box without spending more that say $1200.

Take a close look at the Springfield Armory 'Loaded' model. You should be able to find one for around $700-$850. check out the different 'loaded' models here.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=8

It's not a 'top of the line' model, but it's got many of the 'bells & whistles' that 1911 owners want right outta the box.

Also, Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty and their customer service (should you need to use their warranty or 'custom shop'), is one of the best and has pretty fast turn-around times.

Visit this forum for more info on 1911's. Down on the bottom half of the index page, there's manufacturer specific forums.
http://forums.1911forum.com/

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Uh oh.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 am 

mrokern wrote:

Scratch that.

-Mark

I'm afraid I've started something here. The owner & moderator monks? Brother Rothman & Brother Rosenberg?!! Okay, I admit it does have a certain ring to it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are a lot of good 1911 makers out there. That said, I really like my SA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
There are a lot of good 1911 makers out there. That said, I really like my SA.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:

Scratch that.

-Mark

Mark, you owe me two new eyeballs to replace the ones I gouged out to stop the images you put in my head.

Post subject: 1911 farkles
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:37 pm 

Let me preface this by this is ONLY my OPINION. But backed up by a lot of shooting of 1911 types and seeing what does and doesn't work.

I'm talking here about a 1911 whose ultimate purpose is self-defense but also is a capable target gun. Not an IPSC race gun or Bullseye contender; but fun to take to the range and punch holes in paper.

Necessary mods IMO are beavertail grip (I still have a scar from a Llama .45 hammer bite), bevel mag well, plain white 3-dot sights, and lowered ejection port.

I've heard of Kimbers that were buggy, but I think it was a specific year. I have a couple Kimbers; all steel, stock out of the box and love them. No problems. My Llama bought 20 years ago was a total POS. After a ramp and polish job, it still never fed a full magazine of hardball without a failure of some sort. It also had a weak extractor and weak springs.

Older SAs were not the highest quality. The current production ones are wonderful and if I didn't already have the Kimbers would be looking hard at an SA. Although a dedicated Kimber enthusiast, I think SA gives you the most for your money. Wilsons and STIs are out of this kids budget no no comments. Haven't tried the latest Taurus offering so can't comment on that either.

I guess my main point is that a pretty basic 1911 is the most reliable example. The more farkles you hang off it or put in it the higher the probability of malfunctions. This has just been my experience.

I've only seen one 1911 that was built from the frame up that was flawless but it was made by a guy who I think was born the same year as the design and was an armorer for the DEA. The pistol is not for sale at any price. I know, because I ask my dad every year to sell it to me and no deal. :evil:

So there's my anecdotal, highly subjective, statistically worthless 2 cents on 1911s. Hopefully something in there will help. :)

Hobie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I guess my main point is that a pretty basic 1911 is the most reliable example. The more farkles you hang off it or put in it the higher the probability of malfunctions.

Exactly! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.