Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Springfield XD Subcompact Question 
 Post subject: Springfield XD Subcompact Question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:35 pm 

I am going to make the move from revolver to my first semiauto.

Looking at the Springfield XD 9mm subcompact. I want something with cheap ammo, but that I can still carry on occasion.

Anyone here have any experience with this gun? How is it at the range?

Currenty I have S&W 638 .38 special snub nose. Good gun for carry but not a lot of fun to shoot a lot of rounds at the range.

How is the sub 9mm? Would I be better off just going with the 9mm with the 4inch?

Im very new with handguns so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Someone with much more experience with these guns will probably be along shortly.

I did fire one almost a year ago when I was considering buying one. They are good guns and comfortable to shoot. The full size models are comfortable to shoot as well. The gun was reasonably accurate, though I was seriously out of practice at the time, so I couldn't really see it's true potential accuracy.

Post subject: XD Subs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:23 pm 

In my opinion it's one of the nicest affordable guns out there. I have an XD 9 in 4.5", an XD .45 GAP in 5" Tac, and a XD .40 S&W in Sub Compact in my arsenol. The sub compact will hold groups with the 4.5" one at 15 yards real nice. So, for an affordable, reliable, and fun to shoot gun it is an excellent choice! :) I am quite sure you can rent one for about $10 or $15 at Bill's and try it out before you actually buy one to make sure it works for you. As an instructor it's important to make sure students know that the first gun they buy may not be the one for them if they just picked it up and held it and didn't actually fire it.

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject: go rent them
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've been longing for a XD-9 Service model for awhile now. However, I almost bought a millenium Pro on Andrew's advice. Here's how it works: My wife heard the comparable price of the two guns (MPro: $280, XD-9: $445-$489) and suggested I get the MPro for now and save for the XD for 6 months to a year. Cool says I, we just went from no guns in the house to 1 right now and future permission... score...

Anyway, I went to Bill's in Robbinsdale and tried them both. had a hell of a time (FUN!) but decided I just don't like the way the MPro fits my hand and the trigger. I put 100 rounds through it and another 300 through the XD-9 and LOVED the XD. My advice: try before you buy!

Another option: make friends here and be patient. You may just get invited to go shooting and have the opportunity to try what you want.

Aside: the XD-9 trigger/safety gets HOT after 300 rounds :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 pm 

I have the XD-40 subcompact. I love it. Its dead on, nice and lightweight. I feel very safe with it.

Part of me wishes I would've gone for the 9 based on ammo pricing, but I like the bigger round for defense.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:45 am 

I've had my 9mm SC for 1.5 -2 yrs. It's been my daily carry for over a year. I generally don't pocket carry it as it's a bit big for that, maybe in a large coat pocket....

The only complaint is that the short grip takes a little getting used to, especially if you have large hands like some friends of mine. Yes, you can get the finger grip extensions, I tried them and they just didn't feel right to me. I keep them around for if/when a friend want to try it out.

As far a recoil, I can't feel any difference between the Corbon +P carry ammo and cheap ball. It just pops a little.

The only ammo mine hasn't liked has been alum. cased Blazer, first gun of mine that didn't like it. But it liked S&B which it isn't supposed to. :wink:

The larger capacity mags do work in the SC as well.

As far as confort when carrying, that's got alot to do with the holster you're using. I did wear mine in a C-TAC for over 15 hrs moving my father last summer. As a plus I think it save me from a nasty bruise when the gun and holster took a hit instead of me. Yes, they were both fine.

A solid inexpensive belt holster suggestion is a Don Hume JIT. I got mine from Guners Alley, it's alittle cheaper and they have a return policy. The JIT is my back-up holster or for when I'm wearing pants that don't work well with IWB.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:33 am 

Quote:
The only complaint is that the short grip takes a little getting used to, especially if you have large hands like some friends of mine. Yes, you can get the finger grip extensions, I tried them and they just didn't feel right to me. I keep them around for if/when a friend want to try it out.

Just an FYI: The new Subs come with a full size mag with the grip extension built in. I can't tell the difference between the grip on my full size and my Sub when the full size magazine is installed in the Sub.

You really can't beat the one-stop-shopping price either. Package price now is about $460 for the gun with short mag and extended mag, holster, double mag pouch, and mag loader at most reputable gun dealers.

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject: Re: Springfield XD Subcompact Question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 am 
Longtime Regular

TC95GT wrote:
How is it at the range?

XD9 Sub-compact. Winchester white box FMJ from Walmart.

21 shots at 21 feet. Two hand hold, no rest or support. 1 shot about every 3 seconds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:50 pm 

I have had the XDSC 9mm for about 6 months and 2000 rounds. I have had one mis-feed with UMC ammo. I can attest to what Dean C posted, not to difficult to get that kind of grouping.

I do have large hands and found the Pearce grips a must for me. I debated on the 40 SW instead of the 9mm but chose the 9mm for shooting costs. I have been paying about $28 for 250 packs. I use a Galco M7X for daily carry, and also use a Blackhawk Serpa.

Fun gun to shoot, easy to carry, works well for me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:17 am 

Dbl wrote:
I have been paying about $28 for 250 packs.

Mind sharing where you're getting the ammo at that price? That's a pretty good price!

TomK
N Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Wal Mart has 9mm Winchester White box for $12 / 100

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.