Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Firearm choices for a small woman 
 Post subject: Firearm choices for a small woman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Kay (my wife) and I have a friend who recently had a Gang shooting in front of her of her North Minneapolis houses, she is unhurt but her car was damaged. We have been talking to her about getting a firearm and permit to carry. She seems interested, but I am unable to suggest a few guns that might fit her as she is about 5’4”-5’6” 100-105 lbs with small hands.

I am worried about suggesting a snub 38sp, as they can be unpleasant to shoot regularly. I have thought about a Glock compact .380 cal. (a Glock 28 I believe).

http://www.glock.com/g28.htm

Well suggestions are welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is she concerned about recoil as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would think so, she is not very strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm.

A Glock might be a good gun. You might even have her test out a 9mm. It may not recoil too much for her.

Something like a Sig P239 might be worth a try. Also, a subcompact XD 9 might be worth a try.

Might take her to the range and find out what she's comfortable with in regards to recoil and weight. I haven't fired anything under 9mm, so I can't really report on how they might work. Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

ok, thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a female student that was very sensitive to recoil. She was OK with a steel frame 22 revolver, didn't like a 4 inch 38 revolver, absolutely hated my SW 642 (38 Special, 2 inch aluminum J frame about 15 ounces empty). She then tried my 3 inch SW 317 (10 shot, 22, aluminum J frame & cylinder, steel barrel liner in an aluminum barrel empty it weighs 10 to 12 ounces). She liked that. I told her again, she would be giving up a lot in caliber stopping power, but 10 22's well placed are nothing to sneeze at. I then let her also try my SW 432 (2 inch, 6 shot, aluminum J frame in 32 H&R Magnum but also shoots 32 SW Long). This was probably the max she would shoot and liked the idea of the lighter 32 SW Long for practice. Not a lot of selection in defense ammo (Federal). I had all the triggers "cleaned up" by a gunsmith (Leo) for carry guns.

Ruger also makes a SP101 in 32 H&R Magnum 6 shot. No recoil that I can feel.

I told her to shoot the max. she would be comfortable with. She had some problems with a guy that doesn't care about restraining orders.

She didn't like semi-autos because of the strength needed to rack the slide and she can see if a revolver is loaded and how to unload it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Smith and Wesson 329PD? It's at least light. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:41 pm 
On time out

Just FYI, GLOCKs in .380 Auto aren't available in the US (they're too "evil" to be imported). Besides, you might want a heavier .380 handgun to tame the recoil as much as possible. If you go up to a .380. A Bersa Thunder might be a good choice (if the websites don't lie, it has about 5 oz. on the GLOCK).

To add another experience, my mother was OK with shooting a Hi-Point .380 (25 oz. gun); she is 5'-6" as well & not a strong person by any means. I kept her on .22 LR guns except for the Hi-Point, and she said it was about as much as she would care to handle.

I have handled an S&W 317 3" barrel as well, and that might be a nice option if you stick with smaller calibers. Especially loaded with acclaimed CCI Stinger .22's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:52 pm 

Many beginning female shooters have liked my Ruger SP-101 3" barreled revolver loaded with standard pressure .38 special.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 pm 
Journeyman Member

My wife had wrist surgery some years ago, and is especially sensitive to recoil. She has fired everything from .380 Auto to .45 ACP without any comfort at all - the closest she came was with a Walther P-38 (9mm) which is heavy enough to cushion the recoil. Then, she had a chance to shoot a Sig Hammerli Trailside, 4.5" barrel, in .22 long, and she fell in love. I got one ordered from CDNN, and now she can't wait to get to the range with me. I figure a well-placed .22 is better than a ,38 left in the drawer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

A J-frame or single stack 9mm or 380 would work well for her.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:12 am 

As far as single stack pistols go, the only pistol that fit my gf's hand well was a kahr. We liked the polymer frame trigger beter than the steel frame (had both). With her it wasn't a recoil issues it was a "getting her hand around the grip comfortably" issue.

eddited to add: Kel-Tec is coming out with a new single stack 9mm soon. I think it's supposed to start shipping in May. Prices look to be the same as their P11.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:56 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a P11 and like it. The P9 will be the same slide and metal frame but new plastic frame is for single stack instead and a much better trigger. Good choice if you want to wait. Love the lite weight for a 10 or 12 round 9mm.

A P32 or P380 would work also. I have a P32 that I always carry. Hope this helps.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:06 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I have found that the Glock 19 loaded with 115 gr. fodder is about perect for most female shooters wanting to try an auto.

IMHO it is about the only gun that does not give up any functionality for power and utility considering its RELATIVELY small size.

Xd's and other compact versions of larger guns (19 is the same) have a very short grip and you may give up a little leverage on the gun - I think that it is better that the whole hand fit the grip

If she cant get her hand around the gun - that is another matter alltogether as many of the double stack 9mm's are a litttle chubby. A sig 225 is a great gun for this type of situation IF YOU CAN FIND ONE for a more full sized range or house gun - the 239 seems to be a great choice for a small CCW Gun.

I think that I will buy a 239 in 40 when cashflow allows.

Post subject: What gun is best??
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:00 am 

I get asked that a lot. and see it all the time on the posts; "What gun should I get?" Every one will have a gun they like best.... But you need to remember, that all hands are not the same, The gun that you buddy likes may not be the best gun for you or your wife (girlfriend) The best thing you can do is have her shoot a lot of different guns... Go to the range and look at other shooters guns and see if you can try them or go to Bill's and rent different guns..... Then let HER pick the gun that she can shoot the best! The key to this is not what your friends like or you like, it comes down to the gun that SHE will like! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.