Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 P3AT VS S&W J 
 Post subject: P3AT VS S&W J
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:17 am 

I am useing these as both a BUG and as a primary when running down the block to the store and dropped in the pocket instead of holstering up a 45. They both shoot about equal in accuracy and recoil, The S&W 37 is a 5 shot 38sp and the P3AT is 7rds .380, The S&W is heavier wider longer overall larger, The S&W supposedly can be fired from within a coat pocket although I would probably have to clear the pocket in order to clear leather enough to get to the trigger. Both have been utterly reliable, I have seen both revolvers and semis break there mechanical ever look inside a DA revolver theres plenty to break.
IMHO the S&W is sweet looking and the P3AT is well there both in a holster inside the pocket and cant be seen anyway. What am I missing about the 37? Convince me as to why I should keep it and not put it on the for sale pile. Thanks for any insite and thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

1) Simplicity: Will you want to teach a new shooter in the future? A revolver is simpler to learn and conceptualize than an automatic.
2) Seller's remorse: A couple months after I sell ANYTHING I often end up regretting it.
3) utility: If you're not going to use it / carry it regularly how about a trunk mounted lock box with the revolver in it just in case?
4) Backup to the Backup. What if your .380 breaks down, is in for service, or etc?

OK, you said you wanted people to convince you to keep it. I don't know if these will help :-)

Now the flip side: What would you use the money for? will it hwlp you get that next fun gun? a better holster? More range time? What are you going to get out of the trade / sale?

You're in a tough place there :-) Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:58 am 

All valid points in there specific situation although not mine.
1 I have numerous other revolvers, The j frame not being the best for new shooters when other options are available.

2 Has happened a few times

3 Dont really care to leave unattended for indefinite period of time.

4 Already covered with bo to bo to bo to bo to bo

No intended use for the money(could change at any moment)I tend to be compulisve buying guns hence the for sale pile

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:12 pm 

You might find this thread over on the Smith & Wesson forum enlightening..
http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee/fo ... 5471026821
[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:33 pm 

While I have a P3AT, I carry a J-frame when attire allows it, and only carry the P3AT if I am wearing clothing that will make the J-frame look like a big lump in my pocket. I do so because it shoots a more effective round, it does it very, very reliably, it does it accurately (I practice, YMMV), and it is much more difficult for an assailant to disable the weapon in at contact situation.

Is it the best weapon for a "high threat" area? Heck no. Then again, as I've said before, If I know I'm going to run into trouble I won't go, and if I know trouble is coming to me, I'm gonna have a rifle. And friends. Friends with rifles.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:09 am 

Although i found the thread on the S&W site interesting reading it also raised as many ?s as it answered. Mutliple rds fired how many would have actually been needed, how long before the perp gave up 9mmvs 45 etc.

I have seen reports of the the 380 vs 38 special to be on par with each other. All specualation and taken with a grain of salt as per much of everything ballistics related.

And yes to the threat levels,
Low 5 minute trip to local store pocket carry low crime rate and limited exposure
Normal Out and about for the day 45 and possible bug,

If knowingly high or extremely high I dont go there in the first place.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:06 pm 

Rem700 wrote:

I have seen reports of the the 380 vs 38 special to be on par with each other.

They are not that close. There are great +P rounds for the .38 that will penetrate quite well and expand to a half-inch out of a snubbie.

When I carry my Kel-tec, I carry ball ammo in it because I cannot risk that there will not be enough penetration to even get to the vitals or CNS.

Like any handgun caliber, there is a HUGE difference between .380 ballistics out of a 2 inch barrel and out of a 4-5 incher. Make sure you look for info (or test it yourself) that relates to the gun you carry, not some mythical "best-case-scenario" for the ammo you chose.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.