Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Stuck cylinder release on Taurus 85 
 Post subject: Stuck cylinder release on Taurus 85
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have a Taurus 85 that I purchased online about a month ago. I've been very happy with it, until yesterday at the range, when the cylinder release froze up. It's one of the kind that you push with your thumb, and it just plain won't budge. It happened after I first purchased it, but the Roger at the gun range got it loose, and I foolishly figured the problem had gone away. Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:33 pm 

Mine hasn't had this problem. I'd ship it back to taurus for them to fix. No sense risking it locking up if you really need it.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:24 am 
The Man

Absolutely -- whatever it is, they'll make it right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I have.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:38 am 

I had a Taurus 85 that did the exact same thing. When firing the recoil would cause the "screw" on the end of the ejection rod to come loose causing the cylinder to get stuck. The screw on the cylinder release latch would also come loose.

I fixed mine with some "gun-loc" made by loc-tite. I would suggest sending it back to Taurus if it is to be a dependable self defense weapon.

8) John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:18 am 
Forum Moderator

While I don't disagree that sending it back to Taurus under their lifetime warranty is a good plan, perhaps it might be overkill.

I believe that this is a fairly easy fix (from what I have been told). We have a very excellent gunsmith in a local Outdoorsman store that would likely fix this for $20 or less and get it done either while you wait or no more than a day later. Sending back to Taurus is a more costly proposition plus the delay in getting it back etc.

But, it is also true that in most cases the manufacturer will also do a function and safety test on the entire gun and repair any other issues also...and that may trump getting it done locally.

Just a thought...

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Given the monumental hassle associated with sending firearms back to the factory, I'm surprised that major gun makers haven't done more to create certified armorers that can/will do warranty work, and not just at a 3-4 regional centers.

I've read a lot of posts (and I don't doubt that the "unhappy people post, happy people don't" rule applies) about guns sent back to the factory for warranty work that come back unfixed or fixed but look like a gorilla with a gasoline powered grinder "worked on it", and there's no explanation or at best a third-hand explanation as to what was fixed.

It seems as if your choice is paying a local gunsmith to do warranty work or sending the gun off for weeks and playing Russian roulette to see if it gets fixed.

The local guy route may actually get your gun fixed quicker and with more interaction, but he may not know all the tricks associated with your specific model and you may end up voiding the warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 pm 
Journeyman Member

Update: I called Taurus customer service, explained the situation, and they told me to send it to them. Said it would be okay to send it with the empty casings still in the cylinder...which is good, because if I could get the casings out, I wouldn't be calling them in the first place.

Shipped it UPS to Taurus.

Got a letter about two weeks later, maybe less, acknowledging receipt.

Got the gun back by FedEx about a week later. Cylinder release works now. Haven't fired it yet, but so far, I'm a pretty happy Taurus customer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.