Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for suggestions 
 Post subject: Looking for suggestions
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:12 pm 

Hi,
I am looking for suggestoins on what to buy for my first handgun.
The features I'm looking for:
Relatively easy concealment (Yes, I have a permit)
Hammerless
ambidexterous Slide/Mag reliese
DA/SA (I would consider DAO or SAO, however)

I really like the H&K P2000 but I think it is a bit out of my price range. I have also shot a Walther P99 quite a bit lately, and love the feel of it, and would buy one, but I shoot left handed.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum! Good question.

I only carry DAO guns that don't require turning of the safety at all. This way it works for either hand. I usually have a primary on the right side and backup on the left.

I really like the Kel-tec guns for carry. They are very reliable, DAO, much smaller and lighter than other carry guns. I have two a P11 (9mm) and a P32 for carry purposes. The price is in the 200 to 300 range.

Another good gun is 39xx or 69xx guns from S&W which provides a larger form factor but easier to grip and shoot.

Note: Most guns the slide release does not work (due to can move agains t the recoil spring) and you need to pull back with the other hand anyways.

Hope this helps. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:30 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

XD's have the ambi mag release - and for about $429 with all of the goodies they are an attractve option......

Completely reliable guns - DAO - Ambi - Accurate... Nice guns IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Care to share the source for the $429 XD? That would be a good price.

A note on the XD: the Slide release isn't Ambi but you can "sling-shot" is closed with your off hand (or trigger finger if absolutely necessary)

I'm a big fan of the XD but don't own one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm kind of considering purchasing a Taurus Millenium Pro for my carry weapon. It's significantly smaller than what I carry now. I can't recall if it's "hammerless" though. I don't think it is, but I could be wrong

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I'm kind of considering purchasing a Taurus Millenium Pro for my carry weapon. It's significantly smaller than what I carry now. I can't recall if it's "hammerless" though. I don't think it is, but I could be wrong

It is indeed. Here's a photo:

I have one -- I was quite surprised at the quality and precision of its construction. It's been utterly reliable, and it is much, much smaller than the Ruger P95 I carried for the two years prior!

By the way...

Quote:
ambidexterous Slide/Mag reliese

I am left-handed. I am also an instructor. For lefties and righties alike, I strongly suggest releasing the slide by pulling it back, not using a button.

Why? Gross motor skills and universality.

In the middle of an emergency, with adrenaline boiling through your veins, fine motor skills suffer greatly. Fiddling with little buttons may be an insurmounable challenge. Grabbing a slide and pulling it back is a gross motor skill -- one less affected by adrenaline.

Besides, different semi-auto handguns have slide releases in different places, but they all pretty much have the slide in the same place. Practicing the gross motor version will make your training more "portable" to other guns.

Oh, and as a lefty, I have no problem releasing the magazine (with the "wrong side" buttonn) with my trigger finger. Give it a try.

As a lefty, the downside of choosing a Ruger or a Taurus over a Glock or a Sig or a H&K is that holsters are far less available. Even some of the holster makers that make holsters for less common guns make only the right-handed version.

This fact alone may drive me to get a Glock. (Honey, I had to get one...because of discrimination!)

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri May 19, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I am left-handed. I am also an instructor. For lefties and righties alike, I strongly suggest releasing the slide by pulling it back, not using a button.

I've also heard "internet reports" that pulling the slide back and releasing it is a more reliable way of ensuring proper chambering of a round because you compress the spring 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch further and cause the slide to move forward with a little more force. Can't verify.

It does seem that you are causing two metal pieces (the mag catch and the slide) which are under some pretty good pressure to rub against each other and cause uneccesary friction. Sort of like keeping the brake on while applying the gas pedal causing premature wear on your brake pads. Probably inconsequential, but just a thought.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

You didn't specify caliber, but I'd also look at a Kahr P-9 or CW-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Narrow your list down to about six or seven candidates and go "fondle" them at a gun store. I always recommend *not* going on Saturday when it's busy. Go when it's quiet and the gun guys are bored.

After fondling, narrow your list down to two or three and go to Bill's and rent them. Ask the rental guy which of the guns you are interested in seem to be the most reliable. It will probably save you tons of grief.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:15 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

We all know that John Moses Browning was a lefty right? Why do you think that the mag release is on the drivers side of a 1911?

Sropping wiht the index finger is not a bad option - so dont limit yourself to an ambi release - you eliminate a lot of good guns.

As for grasping the rear of the slid to do an empty chamber reload - that is how you are really supposed to do it Competition is one thing - thereal world is another alltogether - a slide stop is sort of a luxury item -there are a lot of eastern block guns that dont have one unless the magazine is empty - you then grasp and retract fully and release.

Never baby a slide forward into battery. ASking for trouble with that tactic.

Grasp - retract - release.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Um, yeah. What he said. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:37 pm 

Wow, guys. You have alot of great advice.

I guess if using the slide the way I have been (pull the slide back a tad, hit hte button with my right thumb and holding it while the slide slaps forward) is the most correct way, then I'm not worried about the ambi stuff as much, as releasing mags with the trigger finger is fine. (I do that with the walther anyway, as it is on the trigger guard)

I am currently considering the XD, Milenium pro, and glock 23. My friend has a 24/7 in 40, and it felt nice, but am open to other options. (though, I'd have to get used to the glock, so that is kind of a long shot) Self defence is the first priority, but I also want something that is relatively fun to shoot, as I have a place out in the country, and love to go out there and shoot different guns (pistols and rifles) for hours on end.

I am a slender guy, and have relatively small hands, so i don't want anything huge. I'm thinking of a 40 if it's alittle bigger, or 9 if it is more of a compact weapon.

How reliable are the Kahr's and Kel-Tec's?

Thanks, guys. :)

PS. Any suggestions about places that have good prices? I looked around at bills, and things seemed kinda high, but I could be wrong. What about used guns in decent condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm right handed, almost ambidexterous, and I've found that on my H&K USP that it's easier to hit the mag release with my trigger finger than on the left side with my thumb. (It has an ambidexterous mag release).

The Millenium Pro is in my price range, ($400 or so) I'm still somewhat undecided as to a .40 or a .45. Bill's North will get one in for one of their range guns in a couple of weeks. Then I will figure it out.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

p0wn wrote:
I am currently considering the XD, Milenium pro, and glock 23.

I have two XD's: love 'em. Glock has a sterling reputation. I don't like Taurus so much, lots more griping about them than the other two if you look around. I know Bill's has the XD and the Glock for rent. Try before you buy.

p0wn wrote:
I'm thinking of a 40 if it's alittle bigger, or 9 if it is more of a compact weapon.

Most 40's and 9's use the same size frame for both of those calibers. So don't worry about that when it comes to caliber selection.

FYI: 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .40 if you are going to shoot a bunch.

p0wn wrote:
How reliable are the Kahr's and Kel-Tec's?

Everything I've heard has been quite good about the reliability of both

p0wn wrote:
PS. Any suggestions about places that have good prices? I looked around at bills, and things seemed kinda high, but I could be wrong.

Bill's is higher than many on some guns. But you do get a $45 range pass with every gun. Something you would probably lay cash out for anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I guess if using the slide the way I have been (pull the slide back a tad, hit hte button with my right thumb and holding it while the slide slaps forward) is the most correct way...

Nope. That's the worst of both worlds. You are doing two actions where either one should be sufficient on its own.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.