Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 But I don't [i]like[/i] revolvers! 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good detective work Pat.

Can you remember anything that you may have done to the round to damage the case rim enough to cause the jam or do you think the damage to the case rim was done at the factory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

westhope wrote:
Good detective work Pat.

Can you remember anything that you may have done to the round to damage the case rim enough to cause the jam or do you think the damage to the case rim was done at the factory?

I'm pretty sure they came out of the box for the first time when I was getting ready to shoot that stage. The ding in the rim looks like something you'd need a chisel to make.

Thinking back, I could have reloaded with my carry ammo in my pocket and finished the stage. Oh well.

Thanks for your advice, and thanks also for the kind offer of the use of your .32. I've only shot the Backup Gun matches a couple times but I really like them for the relative 'practicality', so thanks too for setting them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Teaching that ammo problems can jam a revolver (and what to specifically look for) would be a great thing to spend a second on in CCW classes.

/saying as a student

Last edited by someone1980 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
What I do know: a round had a ding in the rim that squashed the rim making it thicker. After I found that, I removed that round, and shot up the rest of that box of .38 Special without a problem.

So the lesson is: It's always good to examine your ammo as you load it into your gun. Beside looking for high primers or loose bullets, look to see if a round is generally banged up. You know, kinda like canned food.

I had a similar problem once with 9mm WWB. It was a round where the case mouth had been dinged before the bullet was inserted. It left two small burrs on the mouth that stuck the round in the chamber about 2/3's of the way in. I had to pry it out of the chamber.
I was shooting a timed round (30 seconds) at my league and it was the second round in the magazine. I took the first shot, the gun cycled and didn't go into battery. I tapped the slide, no dice. I tried to rack the slide, wouldn't move. I dropped the mag, popped the takedown pin, stripped the slide, and pulled the barrel. The round was jammed about 2/3 of the way into the chamber. About this time, the whistle blew. I ended up having to pry the round out with bottom edge of the magazine. The amusing part was that someone standing behind me said, "I don't know about anyone else, but I was really impressed by that field strip!" :)

Lesson: if you ammo is really critical, it pays to inspect it round by round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I think this is just another example of "nothing made by humans is perfect except for beer!" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
I think this is just another example of "nothing made by humans is perfect except for beer!" :D

If beer is perfect why does the stuff over here have to be frozen before it's drinkable??????

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Because Americans don't really LIKE real beer and ales. The swill they call beer here is just that. I will say though, over the years, real beer is making a comeback.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:47 pm 

College students with little cash will always provide a large market for the big breweries to produce their swill.

For those of us beyond that age and income bracket, there are plenty of imports and excellent micro-breweries from which to choose -- several of them local to Minnesota.

(I have no idea how to get this thread back on-topic, so I'm not going to even bother. :wink: )

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

TK, it's ALL Grayskys' fault !!!

Grayskys wrote:
I think this is just another example of "nothing made by humans is perfect except for beer!"

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ah I remember the $1 pitcher nights... well most of them anyways. But I also remember that I was not carrying at those times and could not have been sober enough to do it.

But now I have grown up and will have one quality drink and be done for the night. The reason for this is the Kel-tec that is generally in my pocket (for those of you who don't like revolvers) or the XD IWB. Or the newest addition a used S&W 340PD (for those of you who do like revolvers). That is a sweet little gun... except for that little problem that I had with it today. 30 rounds through it. Most were OK except for the set that went - 5 rounds - BOOM, BOOM, click, click, click... hmm that’s not right. Unseat the cylinder and then reseat it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, click. Hmm that needs some research and to be sent back to the manufacturer I think.

Are we back on topic yet? Does anyone have a suggestion on the 340?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:51 pm 

Quote:
But now I have grown up and will have one quality drink and be done for the night.

That's my rule, too, now that I carry. I am big enough that I could probably get away with 2 drinks and still be under the legal limit, but why push it?

Unfortunately, while I like revolvers well enough, I do not yet own one. That may just become my next gun purchase... probably not until next year, though.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:22 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Revolvers are the tool of the skilled pistolero IMHO - a person that can shoot a revolver well and reload it fast is someone to respect and FEAR....

In 1992 I bought my first Auto - shortly thereafter I bought the first of many revolvers that I shot and shot well. My father has them now.. To this day my old Model 60 protects my parents - and the 686 is still on guard as well. Revolvers are TIMELESS and effective.

Trusting your lif to something with 23 moving parts VS about 4 in total - you tell me what is simpler? Simple = GOOD....

I LOVE revolvers ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:02 am 

Who makes them DA revolvers with only 4 moving parts I would like to see one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: But I don't [i]like[/i] revolvers!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:58 pm 

Tick Slayer wrote:
Has anyone here switched from autos to revolvers or included both in their defense plan? What affected your choice to do so?

I used to carry a semi-auto all the time. I now usually carry a snubbie. I carry in my front pocket, and it is more concealable, and easier to have a firing grip without drawing or appearing confrontational.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:00 pm 

Rem700 wrote:
Who makes them DA revolvers with only 4 moving parts I would like to see one.

The semi-auto is the one with 4.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.