Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for your .22 worth of advice. 
 Post subject: Looking for your .22 worth of advice.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am in the market for a .22 pistol for teaching the basics. I am looking for reliable and inexpensive. Anyone have a favorite manufacturer? If so, why?

Thanks in advance!

That is all....

Post subject: Smith & Wesson Model 63 Revolver
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:57 pm 

Stainless Steel
4-inch barrel
Pleasant to shoot.

I'm sure a Taurus .22 revolver would give you the similar results.

Ruger used to make the SP-101 in .22, 4-inch model but it was discontinued.

Don't like semiautomatics for beginners.

My .22 cents worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I started my son, my wife, and a couple friends new to the hobby, on my Ruger MKIII. Relatively inexpensive, very well made, and easy to use.
Not a revolver, but starting them on a semi auto didn't seem to be much of an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:01 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Browning BuckMark is a good choice for a semi - and just about any 22 Revolver will work.

A 22 pistol is hard to beat. I like the CZ 75 Version as a training pistol It is called the Cadet - they are not cheap - but work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 am 
Raving Moderate

Not as inexpensive as some, but IMHO, worth every penny- the venerable Ruger Single Six. Reliable, simple to operate, and nice looking; what more could you want? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

.22 revolvers are hard to find for a cheap price. Best bet will probably be in the used gun market.

You might also consider the Ruger 22/45. It's the same action as the venerable Ruger semi-auto, but the grip frame is meant to simulate the grip angle and controls of a 1911. I would guess you could find a used one for $250-300.

A nice thing about the Ruger Single-six is that it is heavy enough that it dampens almost all the recoil. The sights pretty much stay on target even after the shot. The heavy barrel Mark II's & III's probably have the same characteristic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 am 

I think the Ruger Mk II/III's are great - accurate, reliable, and inexpensive. I have a Sig Mosquito which is fun, but not especially accurate, and I don't like the trigger. Great erognomics, though, and a bit on the pricey side - around $400.

I agree with Pinnacle - the best of the bunch is the CZ-75 with the Cadet kit. It's VERY accurate, and mine has been utterly reliable. Plus you get the added benefit of handling a full-size pistol, which easily converts to 9mm. And he's right - it's pricey, too. I've got about $550 in mine, and I bought the 9mm CZ75 used, plus around $225 for the Cadet kit.

I also have a S&W 422, which is a great little gun, but no longer made. I got mine used for $175 - well worth the money, I think. My wife has a Taurus M94 4" revolver. She likes it, but I don't. Doesn't fit my hand. Works well for her, though.

I also have two .22 rifles - a CZ453 and a Ruger 10-22. I like .22's!!

TomK
N Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a Browning Buckmark that I bought used. I like shooting it, but when it gets hot, the slide can get a little tight for shooters with weaker hands.

A .22 revolver, I think, would be hard to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:47 am 
Journeyman Member

The gun that started my then girl friend, now wife was a Beretta 87 Cheetah.
I have liked it every since easy to shoot & clean. Some of the biggest problems I have run in to in different .22s have been in disassembly & reassembly, ie.. needing special tools to do so. The Beretta needs none breaks down with out any tools think a smaller 92fs if you are familiar with them. Or size some of the current .22s on the market are just to small for my hand, this is saying a lot as I do not have big hands. The Beretta has neither issue. Nor is it a high priced target model however it does come in about $400.00 new, but I got mine used for $100.00. Best of luck on your search let us know what you decide on.

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

W0THK wrote:
I agree with Pinnacle - the best of the bunch is the CZ-75 with the Cadet kit.
Just what I need. More encouragement to purchase a Cadet upper. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Dorian wrote:
Some of the biggest problems I have run in to in different .22s have been in disassembly & reassembly, ie.. needing special tools to do so.

Yes - good point. I forgot about that. You almost have to assume some 33rd degree difficulty yoga stances to re-assemble those Ruger Mark II's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:58 am 

I always had a dickens of a time with my Mark II. Just hated to take it apart for cleaning, and hence didn't shoot it much.

After I had an older gunsmith in Texas spend a few days with it, it comes apart and goes back together very easily. The smith told me that the parts just weren't fitted properly at the factory.

I now like the gun so much, I fitted it with new grips and a red dot :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am 
Forum Moderator

I have had a few .22 pistols from time to time to introduce people to the fine art of hole punching. The Beretta Neos and S&W 22A are both inexpensive, accurate, reliable, and incredibly easy to take apart for cleaning. Don't underestimate that aspect as it is part of the educational process for a new shooter.

Now, for the cool factor, the most popular .22 pistol that I have in class is the CZ Kadet....it is by far the most requested and used. It is exactly the same weight, look and feel of the CZ 75. Mine is the dedicated gun, but you can also get .22 uppers for them. If you are a Glock-er, the Advantage Arms conversion is also a very fun way to introduce new folks to shooting.

If I were to get just one, the CZ Kadet is the choice I would now make.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

One of the better deals is the S&W 22A. We normally sell them for just over 200 bucks. Good name / Small price :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:50 pm 

I have a Ruger 22/45 that shoots great but stovepipes occasionally with cheap ammo.

I have a Firestorm 22 that jams with all ammo except CCI MiniMags, Stingers, and Aquila Hyper-Velocity, but it is seriously fun to shoot and shares the ergonomics and manual of arms with all other Bersas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.