Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Longer barrel 
 Post subject: Longer barrel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:20 pm 

G’day to all,
I have visited Minneapolis a few years ago - they tell me it snows there, yet when I was there Mid June 02 it was 38C (100F) and it was hard to sleep - I am genuinely surprised that there is so much talk of crime and mayhem. I did not see that, (unlike Richmond, VA) everyone was real nice and friendly and me and my wife had a ball. We almost didn’t want to leave.
Anywise I happen to be a firearms instructor and enjoy sharing and gaining information and experience from others. I will try and join as time permits. My persona is I always speak the truth even if it offends, have no trouble about been corrected and always enjoy liberal amounts of clean humor.
The response has been overwhelming.
Cheers
Agro

Question:
I have a 4” bbl for a Colt Police Positive (with an ejector rod shroud) would I be able to screw that to a Colt Detective Special II ?
- threads the same?
- ejector rod length same?
- or not worth the effort

Post subject: Re: Longer barrel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 pm 
on probation

Agro500 wrote:
G’day to all,
I have visited Minneapolis a few years ago - they tell me it snows there, yet when I was there Mid June 02 it was 38C (100F) and it was hard to sleep - I am genuinely surprised that there is so much talk of crime and mayhem. I did not see that, (unlike Richmond, VA) everyone was real nice and friendly and me and my wife had a ball. We almost didn’t want to leave.
Anywise I happen to be a firearms instructor and enjoy sharing and gaining information and experience from others. I will try and join as time permits. My persona is I always speak the truth even if it offends, have no trouble about been corrected and always enjoy liberal amounts of clean humor.
The response has been overwhelming.
Cheers
Agro

Question:
I have a 4” bbl for a Colt Police Positive (with an ejector rod shroud) would I be able to screw that to a Colt Detective Special II ?
- threads the same?
- ejector rod length same?
- or not worth the effort
No it won't work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Longer barrel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:46 pm 
on probation

Agro500 wrote:
G’day to all,
II am genuinely surprised that there is so much talk of crime and mayhem. I did not see that, (unlike Richmond, VA) everyone was real nice and friendly and me and my wife had a ball. We almost didn’t want to leave.
Well next time come and see me I will show you around :shock: PS have your gun with you

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Anywise I happen to be a firearms instructor...

Do you train the police or military? And does anyone else have guns in Australia any more? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:31 pm 

lastgunshop
Are you sure, can you supply some more info? you are breaking my hart you know. :cry:

Andrew Rothman
I train private security officers and sportsmen/women. I am also a working security officer and my tasks require me to carry whist on duty. Although there is no right to carry a gun for self defense in this country private security can still use handguns for various tasks and there is also a large number of persons engaging in sport shooting. Regulations are too complex to discuss here but one can keep guns at home for sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
Anywise I happen to be a firearms instructor...

Do you train the police or military? And does anyone else have guns in Australia any more? :(

A business colleague of my wife's is from Australia and we re-visit the gun issue each time he comes up. He's rabidly anti-gun but claims that it's "trivial" to obtain a rifle or shotgun, although I suspect it's not *that* trivial and you'd have deal with some hefty paperwork. And I think rifle and shotgun are limited to single shot or bolt action. No semis.

I think handguns are largely unobtainable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:30 am 

"trivial"??
Tell him to get one!
I know of some people who are trying to get a licence for shotgun for a little skeet shooting and six months later...nothing yet.
It is possible...NOT TRIVIAL
In general terms the following are banned:
Pump action shotguns
Semi-auto shotguns & rifles
Handguns: revolvers with less than 4" barrels, semi-autos with less than 4.75" barrels. Mag cap is restricted to ten rounds (wonder where this idea come from??). All handguns over .45 cal.

:x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Agro500 wrote:
"trivial"??
Tell him to get one!
I know of some people who are trying to get a licence for shotgun for a little skeet shooting and six months later...nothing yet.
It is possible...NOT TRIVIAL
In general terms the following are banned:
Pump action shotguns
Semi-auto shotguns & rifles
Handguns: revolvers with less than 4" barrels, semi-autos with less than 4.75" barrels. Mag cap is restricted to ten rounds (wonder where this idea come from??). All handguns over .45 cal.

:x :x :x

Heh, for him it IS considered trivial and the functional effect of it being an outright ban is entirely appropriate in his mind. When you're an anti like he is, restriction that isn't a complete outright ban is a "trivial" restriction.

I'm surprised they'd ban pump action shotguns vs. just limiting them to 2 rounds in the magazine. Any time you watch an Olympic shooter practice you realize just how fast someone can reload and fire a double-barrelled shotgun with decent ejectors.

Is there still basically open season on Kanagaroos in the outback?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:37 pm 

Kangaroos are protected everywhere. In our national capital Canberra there are so many they are actually attacking people walking their pets in the park, NO KIDDING. In rural areas land owners can get a permit to shoot them and of course commercial 'roo shooters can get a permit to shoot them for the meat market. Despite all that a lot of ‘roos are shot on sight without all the paper work.
Never shot one :lol: .Good calibers are 222, 223, 22/250 and 220 Swift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Agro500 wrote:
Kangaroos are protected everywhere. In our national capital Canberra there are so many they are actually attacking people walking their pets in the park, NO KIDDING. In rural areas land owners can get a permit to shoot them and of course commercial 'roo shooters can get a permit to shoot them for the meat market. Despite all that a lot of ‘roos are shot on sight without all the paper work.
Never shot one :lol: .Good calibers are 222, 223, 22/250 and 220 Swift

They seem kind of large -- I'm surprised that you wouldn't want something more like .243 or even .270.

Be a fun handgun hunt with a .41 mag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:39 pm 

Big calibers a lot of the time go right through whilst they continue to hop around (there is no more difficult target than a hopping roo).
Through the years they have been shot with every caliber known. For humane reason professional roo shooters must use 22 Hornet or bigger most prefer 22/250.
A colleague of mine one night on his way home hit two of them with his car (common occurance) they were kind of dazed when he got out and shot them once in the chest with his 38 Special, they fell over there and then.
There is no sport in shooting them but just about every working property you go to the farmer will request that you shoot a few.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.