Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Anyone carry a .44 Magnum? 
 Post subject: Anyone carry a .44 Magnum?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:21 pm 

Sounds kind of ridiculous---I know, but I was in the market to buy one of these---a Taurus 44 Tracker SS 2" Ported. Of course, I would rather have a S&W, but I can get one these Taurus's for half the price of a S&W. The Taurus's carry a lifetime warranty to boot!!

I know, it really isn't meant to be a carry gun, except in the back woods, but then I asked, why not?

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joel does sometimes carry his .44. I had a chance to shoot it at the range last week.

No one wants to have to fire his carry gun, but with that one, there's extra incentive to avoid confrontation: it hurts! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry a 3" 629 sometimes. Usually when hiking in the woods or the desert trails in Arizona. I have carried it in town but only rarely. It conceals well but the weight is a little too heavy.

It is an intimidating weapon but in actual use, rapid fire is difficult due to the recoil. I do much better with a .40 or .45.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:34 am 

Ramoel wrote:
I carry a 3" 629 sometimes. Usually when hiking in the woods or the desert trails in Arizona. I have carried it in town but only rarely. It conceals well but the weight is a little too heavy.

It is an intimidating weapon but in actual use, rapid fire is difficult due to the recoil. I do much better with a .40 or .45.

Do you worry about over penetration with the .44? Or do you have lighter loads for carry use?

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

aypstony wrote:
Ramoel wrote:

Do you worry about over penetration with the .44? Or do you have lighter loads for carry use?

You need to worry about complete penetrations with any caliber and any bullet configuration regardless of caliber...

A 44 Mag using a 185gr Sierra JHP or the like going along at warp speed might be the best possible solution to Complete penetration - I would have to do some testing......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I do carry full house 240 grain JHP but like I said, I normally only carry it in woods or desert where over penetration is not much of an issue.

The 3" barrel also does not give as high of a velocity like you would get from a longer barrel. I recall a test where the 3" barrel only gave about 1000-1100 FPS from a regular load.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:18 pm 

Well, here it is in all it's glory. First impressions are good. It is not as big as I thought it would be for a large frame. The grip ergonomics are excellent and it feels well balanced. Trigger pull for DA is kind of tough, probably like 9lbs--good for safety reasons, I guess. I have a feeling I will like this as a carry weapon since it feels pretty light and seems small.

Well, hopefully off to the range soon, to see if it kicks like a mule.

Last edited by aypstony on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:36 pm 

sorry, double post

Last edited by aypstony on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry the Taurus Tracker titanium 41. mag 4 inch barrel (about 30 ozs.) I use 250gr solid core during the warmer months (bears) and I switch over to 185gr hollow points (self defense) during the colder months.

I would not want to fire the 250gr in self defense against 2-legged animals. But If I was "in fear for my life", it beats nothing. I haven't read the knock down reports on it but I've sometimes wondered if the 250gr would do a through and through without causing much damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Daz Pretty. Just plain pretty, Aypstony.

Post subject: Yup. that's pretty!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:50 pm 

And if you handload, you can carry that gun and tailor the load to ANY comfort level you want. For factory ammo, I myself would go with Corbon Powerballs or Glaser Blues for CCW, and while the foot-pounds will be through the roof, the bullet weight will be low and the recoil won't be half bad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.