Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 So, I'm thinking about a 9mm... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Glock 19.

Concealable, affordable, utterly reliable, huge selection of accessories, and point-and-shoot simplicity.

You can usually get a perfectly servicable one used for about $400.

When I decided to carry, I moved to one platform. I, at that time owned a Glock 17, USPc 40, S&W 4013 TSW and and Walther PPK. I used them all and in the end, the Glock won out. I then sold a couple and bought 2 Glock 19's both with the NY1 trigger. They are now my carry and HD guns. The trigger pull is a crisp 7.5 lbs and feels like any other DAO trigger. Mags are very plentiful, and at less than $20 per 15 rounder, very affordable. I have not had any problems with either. I would be happy to let you shoot them. PM me and we can set up a time.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll extend the same offer.

XDs are like an improved-Glock...Glock+, if you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:14 am 
Longtime Regular

jhp wrote:
Srigs, I'm disappointed.

Though this gun is met with tons of resistance from haters who remember some of the issues from the early-on, the new Smith and Wesson Sigma series is (IMO) a fine weapon with a high-bang-for-the-buck rating.

SW9VE

I've had mine for a couple years now and it has been completely trouble-free.

You can get them brand new at most sporting goods places for around $279 and that comes with a case and two 16 round magazines.

Magazines are easy enough to find on the 'net - most going for a bit much at $20 - $30 each.

It was closely modeled after the Glock (so close they were met with a lawsuit over it) so it is quite simple in design. Another bonus is that it also carries Smith and Wesson's lifetime warranty.

In addition - all of the suggestions above would make excellent choices as well.

I have a 40VE and like it a ton. I use it as a carry gun and HD gun.

It is a viable weapon to look at. Very good ergonomics, reliable, enough rounds 14+1 of 40 or 16+1 for 9mm and feels good. :D

The trigger takes some getting use to is the only limiting factor but with a revolver background and being a defensive gun not a target shooter it would be a viable option.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:36 am 
Raving Moderate

Wow, guys!

Thanks for all the info. I can see this is going to be a tough choice- lots of good stuff out there.

Moby- PM sent.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:51 am 

Srigs wrote:
jhp wrote:
Srigs, I'm disappointed.

Though this gun is met with tons of resistance from haters who remember some of the issues from the early-on, the new Smith and Wesson Sigma series is (IMO) a fine weapon with a high-bang-for-the-buck rating.

SW9VE

You can get them brand new at most sporting goods places for around $279 and that comes with a case and two 16 round magazines.

Magazines are easy enough to find on the 'net - most going for a bit much at $20 - $30 each.

It was closely modeled after the Glock (so close they were met with a lawsuit over it) so it is quite simple in design. Another bonus is that it also carries Smith and Wesson's lifetime warranty.

In addition - all of the suggestions above would make excellent choices as well.

I have a 40VE and like it a ton. I use it as a carry gun and HD gun.

It is a viable weapon to look at. Very good ergonomics, reliable, enough rounds 14+1 of 40 or 16+1 for 9mm and feels good. :D

The trigger takes some getting use to is the only limiting factor but with a revolver background and being a defensive gun not a target shooter it would be a viable option.

+1 :D

If you are looking for a lighter trigger there are some resources out there to help. I enjoy mine greatly, and for the price, it can't be beat.
The only draw back, it was a little hard to find a decent holster......

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:02 am 

aypstony wrote:

Did you check out High Noon holsters? I have the Hidden Ally - it works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
I've never shot a semiauto handgun (I'm a current parishoner at Joel's Church of the Appropriate Revolver), so I'm not sure if I want to go the SA or DA route. As far as Condition One carry, I'm not opposed to it with a reliable gun.
Check out CZ. Can be carried SA or DA.

Regarding carry type 9mm revolvers... hard to find. People want outrageous prices for a S&W and Rugers are hard to find. :cry: Still... I want one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:49 am 
Raving Moderate

jhp wrote:
SW9VE

Just a bit of confusion- the link above shows the SW9VE as having a 10+1 capacity. Anybody know what that's about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:43 pm 

Jeremiah wrote:
jhp wrote:
SW9VE

Just a bit of confusion- the link above shows the SW9VE as having a 10+1 capacity. Anybody know what that's about?

The link is old or something. I assure you that it is 16+1, and you can get 10 round mags if you live in one of "those" states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:51 pm 
Raving Moderate

jhp wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
jhp wrote:
SW9VE

The link is old or something. I assure you that it is 16+1, and you can get 10 round mags if you live in one of "those" states.

Thanks for the clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:25 pm 

jhp wrote:
aypstony wrote:

Did you check out High Noon holsters? I have the Hidden Ally - it works great!

I ended up getting an "Old World" Leather beltslide OWB holster. Works fine.

Thanks, Tony

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Of course, I would recommend a Sig. I carry a P226 most of the time. You can get a factory refurbished one at a great price and they look like new. They are called the Cadillac of handguns for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:05 pm 

sigman wrote:
Of course, I would recommend a Sig. I carry a P226 most of the time. You can get a factory refurbished one at a great price and they look like new. They are called the Cadillac of handguns for a reason.

+1 on the Sig. I carry a 229 (in .40 cal) myself, got it used for a sweet price. If I hadn't got the Sig when I did, I was prepared to buy a Cz P01. I will almost certainly buy a Cz some time in the next year anyway, the price is right and they are excellent weapons.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject: AHEM!!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:43 pm 

Joel was wearing what appeared to be a small 9mm semi-auto (OPEN carry, no less...) while he was smoking a butt out in front of the Woodbury Gander Mountain about 2 this afternoon.

As far as bang for the buck, you can get an all steel EAA 9mm for under $350 NIB (and it holds EIGHTEEN ROUNDS!!) or an EAA polymer frame compact for down to $250 if you lurk at CDNN and look for closeouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:40 pm 

I have a G17 with well over 10,000 rounds through it. Everyone that shoots it likes it, even those who drink the 1911 kool-aid.

:wink:

FWIW, it is a second generation Glock, without the stupid finger-grooves on the grip. I HATE those stupid finger-grooves.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.