Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Church of the Revolver 
 Post subject: Re: It didn't take long for this thread to get off topic!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

[Deleted]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

I keep reading about LAYERS and coats, I have'nt worn a winter coat for 9 years now. We have'nt had a cold winter since '96!! Is there a softness creeping in to the hardy Minnesotans I met when I arrived in the Spring of '87. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

A Brit in MN wrote:
I keep reading about LAYERS and coats, I have'nt worn a winter coat for 9 years now. We have'nt had a cold winter since '96!! Is there a softness creeping in to the hardy Minnesotans I met when I arrived in the Spring of '87. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah it is global warming. Now we only have one week, maybe two, a year that are cold.

I would type more but I am full of turkey, stuffing, potatos and wine. Hope it went well for you guys and gals!

/me falls asleep.

Post subject: Re: It didn't take long for this thread to get off topic!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:00 pm 

joelr wrote:
JDR wrote:
lumbering.buffalo wrote:
JDR wrote:

Let's see,.....Up to 4 targets, revolver with five rounds,........
When you're practicing for your worst case senerio,.....

You most be a fantastic shot. :shock: :shock: :D :D

My hope is that IF I have to draw, all 4 of them will see the gun and decide to find easier pickings. :lol:

Ah, you practice hoping, now I get it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me, too. That said, I've spent quite a lot of time looking for real-life examples of survivable civilian self-defense shootings where five rounds wasn't enough. I've found a grand total of one.

I'll bet 5 would have been enough if the guy could have run fast enough after the 4th shot.

Either way, I'm more likely to be probed by aliens than to run into a situation where the difference between a 5-shot snubby and a 17-round G17 actually matters.....and even then, I just might have the G17.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think it's a mental thing. I used to be perfectly happy carrying a 5 shot .357 without a reload. I always figured it was plenty of firepower (and it probably was).

Then I began to carry a 1911 with 8 shots and thought it was enough. More recently I've carried XD's with either 14 rounds in the service size or 10 rounds in the sub-compact, with an extra magazine.

Now for some reason, I don't feel all that comfortable carrying a 5 shot anymore. Like I said, it's a mental thing. You hate to go backwards. :roll:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:47 am 
Raving Moderate

OK, so as a revolver guy interested in semi-autos, does this make me an apostate? :D

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

I think true enlightment comes when you accept that they all have a place in your collection and love everyone of them. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
I think true enlightment comes when you accept that they all have a place in your collection and love everyone of them. ;)

Ahhhhh, you gotta love diversity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel wrote:

Quote:
Like I said, it's a mental thing. You hate to go backwards.

Actually that is exactly what I did. Go backwards. Those that know me may say "I have a mental thing".

I started with a 4 inch officer's length grip 1911 45 ACP in an IWB holster. I still carry it occasionally and shoot IDPA with it. The gun I now carry 95 % of the time is a J-frame S&W in 38 Special (5 shot, 642) or 32 H&R Magnum (6 shot, 432) in a pocket holster. I shoot IDPA BUG matches with those.

The J-frame revolver is just so much easier, so I carry more often, for me to use it in a pocket holster (I also have an IWB holster for it when that works better). Lighter, smaller works for me. Most of the time I carry the J-frames in a pocket holster in blue jeans with no cover garment. A gun never gets lighter during the day. Also, as a revolver, they have always worked for me. I have my 1911's so they work for me 99 - 44/100's of the time. When they malfunction, I've waited too long to replace the recoil spring.

Use what works for you. We are all different and what works for us in one situation may not in another. Having choices is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:06 pm 

I've got a 2.5" model 19 that is my fav piece. Pity the lack of good gun leather (I really need to fix that). I'm seriously eyeballing the 640 Scandium job, but alas, it's damn expensive as a revolver. I'll also second the sentiment that there's some comfort in having enough rounds on-board for pretty much anything going bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:05 am 

I really love my 5 shot smith, it fits in the pocket of anything and will always go bang, and no on off switch, BUT, if things go south, I want my colt 1911....turning it on is NO problem... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Mike wrote:
I've got a 2.5" model 19 that is my fav piece. Pity the lack of good gun leather (I really need to fix that). I'm seriously eyeballing the 640 Scandium job, but alas, it's damn expensive as a revolver. I'll also second the sentiment that there's some comfort in having enough rounds on-board for pretty much anything going bad.

My reason for pocket carrying isn't usually concealability but access. Especially with layers and parkas my primary is a bit difficult to get to at times.

I think a big down vest like Joel was wearing at the TCC breakfast would be ideal. leave the parka open, no gloves on, hands in pockets looks totally natural.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.