Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Click - No Bang with my revolver. Need some input 
 Post subject: Click - No Bang with my revolver. Need some input
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:53 am 

Im not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not.

I went to the range yesterday with my CZ 9mm and my carry gun, a S&W 638 (snub nose .38 special). I only had a little bit of time to shoot and spent most of it with the CZ.

The last couple of minutes I pulled out my .38 to get some practice with it. I had a brand new never opended box of American Eagle .38 special 130 grain FMJ.

The first 15 rounds went off just as expected. No problem. When I reloaded I got the unexpected click no bang. I then reloaded with a different 5 cartridges and got the same thing. I tried it one more time with five new ones from the same box and again just the click.

Like I said earlier I was pushed for time so I couldn't buy another box of ammo and try that. I was actually at work and had snuck away to get a few minutes in.

I recently had sent the gun back to S&W for some warranty work on the finish of the revolver. I thought maybe they had messed something up.

That evening I looked the gun over and everything seems to be fine. The cylinder rotates like it should and it locks in like its supposed to. I also checked the firing pin and it appears to be working fine too. The gun was very clean.

I have some different ammo I am going to try next week if I can get free. In the meantime is there anything else I should look at specifically? Has anyone esle ever had this happen where the ammo in a box is almost all bad?

Im pretty new with handguns so anything, even the most basic suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 am 

Was the firing pin hitting the primers?

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd look at the primers on the cases that went bang, vs the ones that went click. If the indentations look the same, I'd suspect a bad batch of primers on that ammo.
If the mis fired primers don't have nice firing pin indentation, I'd suspect the gun.

One way to know is to find another .38 spl gun and try firing some of that suspect ammo, and to try another brand of .38 spl in your gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Brewman wrote:
I'd look at the primers on the cases that went bang, vs the ones that went click. If the indentations look the same, I'd suspect a bad batch of primers on that ammo.
If the mis fired primers don't have nice firing pin indentation, I'd suspect the gun.

One way to know is to find another .38 spl gun and try firing some of that suspect ammo, and to try another brand of .38 spl in your gun.

Bingo! Great troubleshooting information.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:24 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

First off have you been doing some Bubba Gunsmithing at home?

Last edited by mnhome on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Note: J frames have a coil spring to drive the hammer, no strain screw. K, L and N have the strain screw.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:10 am 

[quote="mnhome"]First off have you been doing some Bubba Gunsmithing at home?[/quote]

Nope. Just basic cleaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:11 pm 

See now you should be carrying that reliable CZ, not one of those unreliable wheel guns.. :P (PCR carrier here)
Be safe.

Post subject: Re: Click - No Bang with my revolver. Need some input
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

TC95GT wrote:
Im not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not.

I went to the range yesterday with my CZ 9mm and my carry gun, a S&W 638 (snub nose .38 special). I only had a little bit of time to shoot and spent most of it with the CZ.

The last couple of minutes I pulled out my .38 to get some practice with it. I had a brand new never opended box of American Eagle .38 special 130 grain FMJ.

The first 15 rounds went off just as expected. No problem. When I reloaded I got the unexpected click no bang. I then reloaded with a different 5 cartridges and got the same thing. I tried it one more time with five new ones from the same box and again just the click.

Like I said earlier I was pushed for time so I couldn't buy another box of ammo and try that. I was actually at work and had snuck away to get a few minutes in.

I recently had sent the gun back to S&W for some warranty work on the finish of the revolver. I thought maybe they had messed something up.

That evening I looked the gun over and everything seems to be fine. The cylinder rotates like it should and it locks in like its supposed to. I also checked the firing pin and it appears to be working fine too. The gun was very clean.

I have some different ammo I am going to try next week if I can get free. In the meantime is there anything else I should look at specifically? Has anyone esle ever had this happen where the ammo in a box is almost all bad?

Im pretty new with handguns so anything, even the most basic suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was just curious if you had been back to the range with your 638 and what was the outcome? I can't believe you picked 15 good rounds out of a box and the rest be bad so I'm guessing it was a problem with the pistol but was just curious what you may have found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:54 pm 

Is this the first time you used it since you received it back from S&W?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm 

Just to good to pass
Gotta love those revos for there reliability :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 am 

PEZHEAD,

Yes this is the first time I've used it since getting it back from S&W. My first thought was they messed it up, but it appears to be operating just fine. Im not a gunsmith though so I can't be 100% sure.

MNBUD,

No I have not been back to the range to try different ammo yet. I'm planning on going sometime this week and will post what happens. I'm going to bring a few different brands of ammo just to make sure. Im with you in that I find it hard to believe I happened to pick the 15 good rounds out of a new box, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:43 am 

Rem700 wrote:
Just to good to pass
Gotta love those revos for there reliability :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I will say that my CZ has many, many more rounds through it than my revolver and it just keeps firing. It's almost boring to shoot. It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and it shoots pretty much where I point it.

This was a bit of a wake up for me though. You just never know what can happen. I have confidence in my revolver and believe it was the ammo. I will find out this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm 

Follow up to the click-no bang.

My problem was with the ammo.

Just got back from Burnsville Pistol Range. I shot 50 rounds of WWB and 25 round of Magtech and not a single failure.

Hand is a bit sore and I have a very small blister starting on my thumb. I love my little snub nose revolver. She's so mean.

Life is good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

And here I thought Federal primers were supposed to be more sensitive than others.

If you still have those rounds, maybe you should have somebody with a kinetic bullet puller yank 'em and see what's inside (or not inside).

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.